PDA

View Full Version : what birds can a harris hawk hunt

Moses
11-03-2005, 08:32 PM
pls just wanted to know along with rabbits and hares what else can a female harris hawk hunt, can it hunt pheasants and duck

cheers

Adam Barrett
11-03-2005, 08:36 PM
yup :lol:
Get it fit mate and it will do the buisness on both

Finnish
11-03-2005, 09:17 PM
A HH will pritty much take on most game.

Moses
11-03-2005, 11:15 PM
thanks alot guys, sounds the business and thanks :)

Coedhirion
11-03-2005, 11:53 PM
An chicken ....woops, an woodcock if you have a sharp one!!! plus crows. That's the same for a male too!!

Hawkmaster
11-03-2005, 11:57 PM
MOVED TO BROADWING THREAD :lol:

HawkMan69UK
12-03-2005, 12:00 AM
my old females max fav was phesant and duck :tonqe:

Darren
12-03-2005, 08:09 AM
if yuo want to get a Harris for birds get a male as they are smaller & nimbler fliers

Sean
12-03-2005, 08:50 AM
Thats why ill be getting a male lol :)

Darren
12-03-2005, 11:07 AM
get my male next week...just in time to let him moult.

Moses
14-03-2005, 09:59 PM
nice one, sounds the bird for me then :)

God willing the freezer will be filled with game and no one will be hungry :D amen

North East Harris Hawker
14-03-2005, 10:09 PM
mines has pheasant, no ducks yet, waterhens, coots,woodcock,pigeon, snipe, a starling, crow, she grabbed a goose once but it pulled her underwater! she let go! :oops:
oh and a chicken from a farmers yard :oops:

OutFlying
14-03-2005, 10:30 PM
please describe the woodcock and snipe flight, was it long and how were they set up i.e from a point etc.

Outflying.

Moses
14-03-2005, 10:35 PM
mines has pheasant, no ducks yet, waterhens, coots,woodcock,pigeon, snipe, a starling, crow, she grabbed a goose once but it pulled her underwater! she let go! :oops:

lol she sounds an awesome bird mate :) thats alot of game

its cool it takes on crows , their nasty ******s i hear the whole swarm starts attacking falcons if the falcon just attacks the one

Coedhirion
16-03-2005, 12:17 AM
crows around here will mob birds of prey, ie wild kite an buzzards, as well as the Harris. If there are a number of them you just clap your hands and thet clear off. The Harris dont bother much with going after crow if we are out for bunny. as they follow on much of the time they are either watching us, the dogs or the holes with the ferret down. they only seem to take crows if they see one alone that happens to look like an easy target. I dont go crow hunting intentionaly as I recon they are horrid flea ridden things. Strangely when the birds do catch them they almost seem to have a disgusted look on their faces and never even attempt to break in to them. They obviously have good taste :lol: :lol:

OutFlying
17-03-2005, 11:36 PM

please describe the woodcock and snipe flight, was it long and how were they set up i.e from a point etc. I've been trying to catch a woodcock from a point off a dog for 5 seasons, still no success.

Outflying.

Jiff
18-03-2005, 12:08 AM
my female is on the large size hunting in her first season at arround the 2lb 4 oz mark,before entering she chased anything that moved,once she entered at rabbit and got a few under her belt she refused feathered game regardless if it was under her nose or not,i was more than happy to settle at that as rabbit and hare are my main interest,i'm a novice also so what i'm about to say could be rubbish,but in my opinion if you want to hunt feathered game with any amount of success you should go for a male or a small female,the birds know theire limitations and i'm sure that my bird knew that rabbits were on the cards so why waste energy chasing phesant.