Falconry Forum (IFF)

Falconry Forum (IFF) (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   Bells & Leather Equipment (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Is there any reason to choose false aylmeri over non-removable aylmeri anklets? (http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=141786)

Koraax 24-06-2017 04:48 PM

Is there any reason to choose false aylmeri over non-removable aylmeri anklets?

Want to change my traditional jesses to aylmeri, and wanted to make the non-removable version.

T0M 24-06-2017 05:28 PM

Re: Is there any reason to choose false aylmeri over non-removable aylmeri anklets?

I use these. Can fit new anklets without casting the bird if manned. These cut the leather when fixing but I'll make the holes first wasting a couple of eyelets but easier and less stress. They're magnetic as well so hold the eyelet in place, just need to wrap the leather around the leg lining up the holes, position the pliers and squeeze. I turn the pliers as I squeeze so to get a neat fix. If stay in the one place they can bend out of shape. They're cheaper on ebay about 18 I think

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Punches/S...ds=Eyelet+tool

Good luck

Cwmpengraig Cockers 24-06-2017 06:23 PM

Re: Is there any reason to choose false aylmeri over non-removable aylmeri anklets?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koraax (Post 2154610)
Want to change my traditional jesses to aylmeri, and wanted to make the non-removable version.

I don't often chip in as I'm not a falconer and this is a falconry forum however,In my case I would consider the quality of the leather or material you are making your anklets out of, the quality of the eyelets the size of your hawk and your own skills.
I can fit a pair of false Aylmeri to a large eagle on my own however I have in the past made them the wrong size and had a hind claw stuck through the eyelet when they stretched a little.
I just use permanent aylmeri on all smaller species and if you have the chance a hood and a helper or casting jacket will help with a jumpy hawk.
I place permanent flying Jesses through anklets on most but falcons as lm cack handed.
I personally don't think false Aylmeri any more useful on smaller species.
If this is the first time you've fitted anklets avoid the hammer on type and make three anklets, a spare is useful.
There must be recommended video tutorials !
As I said I'm not a real falconer but hope you don't mind me chipping in
Best wishes and good luck John

Koraax 25-06-2017 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T0M (Post 2154613)
Can fit new anklets without casting the bird if manned.

That's exactly why I wanted to make one of the non-removable versions! Thank you very much, your reply was extremely helpful.

Keith Barker 25-06-2017 05:29 PM

Cut your strip of leather first and soak it in a bowl of water overnight, then hang it out to dry with a heavy weight hanging off it to stretch the leather, cut your eyelets out of the dried and stretched leather later, guaranteed not to stretch any more after this.
Glue your brass eyelets in place to the leather after punching the holes this will make the job of crimping less fiddly especially if you are working alone, a dab of superglue will hold the two surfaces together prior to crimping.

Good luck.
Keith

Cwmpengraig Cockers 25-06-2017 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Barker (Post 2154649)
Cut your strip of leather first and soak it in a bowl of water overnight, then hang it out to dry with a heavy weight hanging off it to stretch the leather, cut your eyelets out of the dried and stretched leather later, guaranteed not to stretch any more after this.
Glue your brass eyelets in place to the leather after punching the holes this will make the job of crimping less fiddly especially if you are working alone, a dab of superglue will hold the two surfaces together prior to crimping.

Good luck.
Keith

I like the glue idea. Just shows your never to old to learn
Cheers John

Koraax 25-06-2017 05:58 PM

Thanks everyone! :)

T0M 25-06-2017 06:02 PM

Yes that might make it easier again, the pliers are magnetic so the eyelets stay in place but getting the leather to line up is a bit tricky when the bird is moving. The extra help of them being glued and the magnetic pull to position them.

Tasha55403 26-06-2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Barker (Post 2154649)

Good luck.
Keith

You are a smart man :) And that right there shows why I stay on these forums-there's always something new you can learn :supz:

Keith Barker 26-06-2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tasha55403 (Post 2154667)
You are a smart man :) And that right there shows why I stay on these forums-there's always something new you can learn :supz:

Tasha,
The day you stop learning is the day you die.
Keith