Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > MEDICAL & HUSBANDRY > General Medical Questions & Discussions

Old 20-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Egg

Default Barn Owl Help - Baytril

Old 20-02-2012, 10:38 AM
David Goodwin
Haggard

Default Re: Barn Owl Help - Baytril

As there arnt many vets on here your best ringing the vet up who treated your owl and getting the correct info off them, then if all isnt well you at least followed the vets advice and they carnt say we never told you to do that so its not our fault .
Old 20-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Gemma
Brancher

I would imagine they would need the dressings checked regularly and changing?
Did they just lance the foot conscious - or debride it properly under anasesthesia? Normally a broad spectrum antibiotic will be used whilst culture results are pending - then a change of antibiotics to something more suitable once the culture results are back??
I suggest you ring the vets back and ask them what their instructions are.
Are they avian vets?

Sorry - posted on wrong account - Sprout.
Old 20-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Egg

Old 20-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Karl
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemzy87 View Post
I would imagine they would need the dressings checked regularly and changing?
Did they just lance the foot conscious - or debride it properly under anasesthesia? Normally a broad spectrum antibiotic will be used whilst culture results are pending - then a change of antibiotics to something more suitable once the culture results are back??
I suggest you ring the vets back and ask them what their instructions are.
Are they avian vets?

Sorry - posted on wrong account - Sprout.
Did they advise of you about the husbandry - bumblefoot is primarily a circulatory disorder that progresses with secondary infection, almost always caused by some husbandry related problem - antibiotics and bandages won't fix the problem until the perching and husbandry is addressed.
Old 20-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Egg

Default ....

Old 20-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Karl
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozenger View Post
yeah it was conscious and bandages need changing everyday. he wasn't an avian vet either but had done a few before as he is the closest vet to my area. i will give him and ring

thanks!
Conscious?? Avian pus is not liquid like mammalian - as such to do a proper job it has to be debrided surgically, not just lanced and expected to drain like a cat or dog abscess. Its obviously impossible for me to comment properly over the internet without seeing it, and it may just be a simple infection???? who knows, but if it is true bumblefoot, and it was at the stage surgery was warranted, then that can only be done under anaesthesia - as needs doing properly, carefully and with proper pain management. But at the end of the day, your vet has seen it in the flesh so may be in a better position to decide?
Unfortanately most cat/dog vets don't often deal with avian patients - it is often worth travelling that little bit further to someone who does deal with birds on a regular basis.

Quote:
yeah he did, unfortunately the barn owl already has a birth defect in left leg, and is unable to use it as it is longer and sticks out to the side abit, therefore all the pressure is on the other foot constantly hence the bumblefoot.

perches are all natural.
2 things to consider here

1) change the perching. Normally the first advice ever to be given regards bumblefoot is switch the perching. Using an astroturf covering may in simple, early cases of bumblefoot be all that is necessary to reverse the changes - assuming the first changes are seen early enough. Astroturf allows weight to be spread more evenly over the foot, reducing the pressure.

2) correct the underlying problem if possible. I'm assuming there is some developmental problem, either due to deficient diet or incorrect perching material whilst the owlet was growing??? and caused bone defomations?? It might be worth assessing as to whether anything can be done surgically to correct this to prevent the recurrence of the bumblefoot. If the underlying cause is not removed, it will return.
Old 20-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Egg

Old 20-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Karl
Haggard

Quote:
thanks for the advice, i agree maybe it was something when it was young as we didn't have her yet, nearest avian vet i have searched for is nearly 2 hourrs away but i will have try for the birds sake.
I'm pretty sure the extra effort taken to get to someone who knows what they are doing regards birds will be worth it - both for the owl and your peace of mind.

And get some long leaf, proper astroturf - not the old green grocer type stuff, or the harsh doormat types - proper branded astrotruf is the best.
Good luck.
Might be a bit of a distance for you (and prob some closer) but Richard Jones at : http://www.avianveterinaryservices.co.uk/find.html
Is well worth it, knows his stuff and is a falconer too!!
Old 20-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Chick

Quote:
thanks for the advice, i agree maybe it was something when it was young as we didn't have her yet, nearest avian vet i have searched for is nearly 2 hourrs away but i will have try for the birds sake.
Hi Lauren, look forward to hearing how you get on with the barn, let us know how it goes?

Atb,

Elliott