Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > MEDICAL & HUSBANDRY > Coping, Health, Disease & Insurance

Old 10-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Egg

Default Coping Please help!

I have a 1year old FHH and about 6 months ago I had to cope her top beak as it seemed a little overgrown. I am now faced with the same situation where it requires coping again, I have not experienced this before where a beak required coping so often, can anyone shed some light on this for me please as I have heard that this may be linked to liver problems with the bird or is it just a case of not enough bones within her food supply, I feed her a varied diet of DOC, quail and rat. I have attached a photo.IMG_3138.jpg
Old 10-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Harvey Pinniger
Brancher

Default Re: Coping Please help!

I find some need coping more often than others, I keep two in similar conditions on the same diet and one needs coping every 6mths and the other about once a year. I 'he heard vitamins and good quality food will encourage growth.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Mark
Passage

I have always found that feeding plenty of rabbit heads seems to keep them in check.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipmariner View Post
I have a 1year old FHH and about 6 months ago I had to cope her top beak as it seemed a little overgrown. I am now faced with the same situation where it requires coping again, I have not experienced this before where a beak required coping so often, can anyone shed some light on this for me please as I have heard that this may be linked to liver problems with the bird or is it just a case of not enough bones within her food supply, I feed her a varied diet of DOC, quail and rat. I have attached a photo.Attachment 150995
Rabbits lots of them through the moult and my birds still need copeing at start of season.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Sean Donnelly
Haggard

As already mentioned. rabbit heads are great also other parts of the body such as legs that contain lots of bone will help, a large rock on a post can also help keep the beak in trim for feaking, but cope her before feeding rabbit heads as she could get caught with the beak in its current condition. does she have access to rain.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Egg

Thank you both for your advice, was getting a little concerned. Off to get some bunny bonce's in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean D View Post
As already mentioned. rabbit heads are great also other parts of the body such as legs that contain lots of bone will help, a large rock on a post can also help keep the beak in trim for feaking, but cope her before feeding rabbit heads as she could get caught with the beak in its current condition. does she have access to rain.
Cheers, she doesn't have access/exposed to rain, why's that?
Old 10-09-2014, 10:18 PM
Dale
Passage

Once you start coping you will always have to cope as has already been said plenty of bone in her diet the saddle of a rabbit is Good

Dale
Old 10-09-2014, 11:00 PM
Sean Donnelly
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipmariner View Post
Thank you both for your advice, was getting a little concerned. Off to get some bunny bonce's in the morning.

Cheers, she doesn't have access/exposed to rain, why's that?
Water softens the outer layers
Old 10-09-2014, 11:24 PM
David
Passage

Lots of bone strip most of the meat off beforehand cut back on soft bone chicks etc in the diet. I like chicken backs I skin them beforehand I find duck legs are great but again strip meat off meat he will pull at them for hours and very sinewy.

Atb

PS: ask your butcher i got two carrier bags full of chicken backs and poultry bones.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:51 PM
Haggard

That's normal and a 30 second job with a dremmel in the right hands ,best find some decent falconers