Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Wales

Old 19-01-2016, 06:03 PM
Unconfirmed Member
Egg

Default Is Falconry a pursuit for a guy over 60?

Hi, I am approaching my 64th birthday and am now retired. I am wondering whether it is possible to start in an old interest of mine i.e. falconry. I have been interested in falconry since I was 14. At 18 I started working at Chilham on weekends doing various things around the estate in exchange for the falconer in residence teaching me about the care and flying of BoPs. After a year I realised that while I had been given some experience at handling the birds I was really being used as unpaid labour so I left. Over the years I have attended various falconry centres to see the BoPs and watch the flying exhibitions. My career meant that I did not have the time to commit to keeping a falcon and all it entails. Over the past 20 years I have enjoyed watching the resident peregrine falcons taking pigeons from a tower in Newport that could be viewed from my kitchen and back garden.

Now I have relocated to Rogerstone between Risca and Newport and have the space to install a flight for a falcon. So, if anyone can give me any advice or think that they might able to help me e.g. mentorship or apprenticeship I would really appreciate hearing from them.

Cheers, Buckland.
Old 19-01-2016, 06:37 PM
Clive Stancer
Passage

Default Re: Is Falconry a pursuit for a guy over 60?

Hi Buckland

Welcome to the forum and what an interesting question for a first post.

I am certainly the wrong side of 50 and hope that I will have good health to continue practising Falconry into my retirement years.

One suggestion I would make is seek out some local falconers there used to a very active falconry club over there which a good friend of mine was a member, this particular friend helped mentor me.

When he moved to Wales (Llantrisant) he eventually gave up Falconry due to the lack of game locally.

Maybe find out if this is still the case and it may affect which actual hawk or falcon you fly depending on what is available.

Good luck

ATB
Clive
Old 19-01-2016, 08:17 PM
Egg

Hi, the welsh hawking club has many 60 +falconers . 15min drive from you. You live in a ideal place to fly,with plenty of farmland.
Old 19-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Haggard

Given that you refer to installing a flight for a falcon ? i'm not entirely sure what it is you want to do ? do you want a pet ?do you wish to hunt with a falcon or swing a lure ? for the former your going to need help and guidance to hand.
Working falcons don't necessarily need "flights" and can be kept in relatively small shelters should one so choose
The size of your garden /pen is only relevant to what it is you wish to do

As for age ,if your physically fit and mobile it matters not a jot ,if however you have issues with this then it may be relevant to your aims
Old 19-01-2016, 10:36 PM
Brancher

I am 57 and 2 of my active longwing friends are 74 and 78. So assuming you are of average fitness for your age you should be fine. As an echo of the above and not age related do join a club and find a mentor