Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > NON FALCONRY TOPICS > Stalking, Vermin & Pest Control

Old 24-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Alex Brown
Haggard

Default Out Shooting This Morning

Had my first proper session out with the new BSA Ultra SE 177, I have fitted a shroud over the barrel rather than a silencer and put an AGS Cobalt 6-24 x50 scope on, after trying lots of different pellets I found JSB Exacts in 4.53mm were by far and away the best through it.

Anyhoo out early and shot in and around a couple of farm yards ended the couple of hours with 28 woodies, 7 doves (but lost one to a sneaky Spar) getting it before I sent in Bomber to retrieve the main thing was the pelet went straight through so shouldn't affect the Spar after eating it. Also had a very small rabbit which for some reason was enjoying running into the flock of woodies.

The wierd thing was I did not see a single feral pigeon all morning.

Will be needing plenty more mornings out to keep the birds in good moulting food and the ferrets and their babies well fed as we have 2 litters growing quickly and a couple of litters still to be born.

13076867_10205319181332229_8167017868156792307_n.jpg
Old 24-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Default Re: Out Shooting This Morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Had my first proper session out with the new BSA Ultra SE 177, I have fitted a shroud over the barrel rather than a silencer and put an AGS Cobalt 6-24 x50 scope on, after trying lots of different pellets I found JSB Exacts in 4.53mm were by far and away the best through it.

Anyhoo out early and shot in and around a couple of farm yards ended the couple of hours with 28 woodies, 7 doves (but lost one to a sneaky Spar) getting it before I sent in Bomber to retrieve the main thing was the pelet went straight through so shouldn't affect the Spar after eating it. Also had a very small rabbit which for some reason was enjoying running into the flock of woodies.

The wierd thing was I did not see a single feral pigeon all morning.

Will be needing plenty more mornings out to keep the birds in good moulting food and the ferrets and their babies well fed as we have 2 litters growing quickly and a couple of litters still to be born.
Nice one Alex, I'm sure the Ferrets and Birds will enjoy the fresh food! Is it Steel pellets that you use? Looked like a successful session, good stuff.

Regards,

Bradley
Old 25-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Alex Brown
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
Nice one Alex, I'm sure the Ferrets and Birds will enjoy the fresh food! Is it Steel pellets that you use? Looked like a successful session, good stuff.

Regards,

Bradley
All shot by air rifle and all head shot. Most will be frozen for a month before feeding the birds with them, the heads, neck, legs n guts all removed prior to freezing. Also skinned before they are fed to the birds to ensure there are no shot in them. Also keeping a few breasts to make kebabs.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Alex Brown
Haggard

Anogther good Sunday morning out with the air rifle and Bomber, not as many in the bag as last Sunday but still a decent bag for a couple of hours out.

13082562_10205358076264578_7249408767655946115_n.jpg

Ended up with 19 woodies, 3 doves and 2 rabbits.