Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > NON FALCONRY TOPICS > Photography, Equipment, Reviews & Tutorials

Old 14-07-2015, 04:53 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Default Re: RIAT 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneShac View Post
Does the 700D have AI Servo Autofocus?

Use the lens wide open to let you get the max shutter speed

I wouldn't use over ISO 400 on that body if you plan to crop

Once aperture is set to f5.6 and ISO 400 Meter off the sky using Evaluative metering then add about 2/3 to one stop of light by adjusting shutter speed

You should be using over 1/1000 SS to stop the action on moving planes

Good luck mate!
Yes the 700D has all the high-end autofocus options. That's why I like it, you get lots of the high-end settings for an affordable price. That 1D X costs something stupid like ú7000! I was told to use spot metering so the plane stands out, another case of mixture of opinions, I'll try the two. Thanks for your help and I'll be sure to post some of my best onto here ASAP after the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CotswoldRedtail View Post
When I used to do public demo work, I worked with a guy who did quite a bit with the armed forces, mainly families days but other stuff as well. We did 4 consecutive years doing RAF Benson's families day, and all the birds we took were superb. My Female Gyr hybrid has seen the Red's, the Typhoon Solo display and the Tornado Solo and didn't so much as flinch.
I'm not suggesting all birds would be the same, you do have to know them well, but its amazing what properly conditioned birds will put up with. Oh she's been in the cockpit of a Puma and a Merlin too (hooded mind!)

Nice straightforward approach.

I shoot on a D600 so I have the luxury of being able to push the ISO a bit more, so I generally shoot on fully manual and use Auto ISO to expose, it works very well almost all the time (not always mind!)
As you say though, depending on focal length I wouldn't go below 1/1000. Also I tend to turn of stabilisers for action shots and rely on shutter speed to eliminate camera shake, I find the stabilisers to affect the AF too much and take a fraction too long to spin up, I've missed a couple of shots that way so I don't bother with them for action any more.
Thanks for that, I'll just have to experiment for the conditions I'm presented with. I wasn't thinking about turning the stabiliser off though, could that be what's disturbing the autofocus and why it isn't responding quick enough?

Regards

Bradley
Old 14-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Shane
Brancher

Spot metering will work if the plane is of uniform colour, but if you are unlucky to point at a dark section of a light coloured plane a large portion of it will be overexposed

Again as basic pointers keep the sun behind you at all times and set the highlight blinkies on the photo preview to see if you need to adjust the exposure

Look foward to seeing the results
Old 14-07-2015, 09:12 PM
Ash Lawson
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post

Thanks for that, I'll just have to experiment for the conditions I'm presented with. I wasn't thinking about turning the stabiliser off though, could that be what's disturbing the autofocus and why it isn't responding quick enough?

Regards

Bradley
Very possibly yes. I don't know how will the AF on your lens performs anyway (google reviews for your lens you'll get some fairly honest appraisals!)
I know from experience with my longer Nikon and Sigma lenses that the benefit of the VR/IS/OS (call it what you will!) is negated at faster shutter speeds, as it does nothing to combat subject movement only camera shake, which is dealt with by having a shutter speed at the faster end. The general rule is a minimum shutter speed of equivalent to the focal length i.e. 300mm no less than 1/300th. personally I go for at least double, and generally try not to go below 1/1000th unless I'm sure I can hand hold and I'm after a certain effect. The Stabiliser takes a moment to spin up and thats too much for me for fast shots, I use it for landscape where it will combat camera shake at slower speeds, and I would use it at RIAT for certain shots, for example I shot this at f/5.6, 1/1000 and whilst its not a bad shot, its too fast to get decent motion blur on the main rota set (yes its meant to be that way up!) If I wanted to recreate that shot properly, I'd slow right down to probably 1/250, turn the VR on and make sure I've depressed the shutter release half way in plenty of time to fire it up.

Same again here, 1/1000 too fast for prop blur
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1941 copy.JPG (21.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2090.JPG (18.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 15-07-2015, 05:02 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
very possibly yes. I don't know how will the AF on your lens performs anyway (google reviews for your lens you'll get some fairly honest appraisals!)
I know from experience with my longer Nikon and Sigma lenses that the benefit of the VR/IS/OS (call it what you will!) is negated at faster shutter speeds, as it does nothing to combat subject movement only camera shake, which is dealt with by having a shutter speed at the faster end. The general rule is a minimum shutter speed of equivalent to the focal length i.e. 300mm no less than 1/300th. personally I go for at least double, and generally try not to go below 1/1000th unless I'm sure I can hand hold and I'm after a certain effect. The Stabiliser takes a moment to spin up and thats too much for me for fast shots, I use it for landscape where it will combat camera shake at slower speeds, and I would use it at RIAT for certain shots, for example I shot this at f/5.6, 1/1000 and whilst its not a bad shot, its too fast to get decent motion blur on the main rota set (yes its meant to be that way up!) If I wanted to recreate that shot properly, I'd slow right down to probably 1/250, turn the VR on and make sure I've depressed the shutter release half way in plenty of time to fire it up.

Same again here, 1/1000 too fast for prop blur
I've been told that it could be turned down as far as 1/100 for prop blur but I'll have to experiment on tomorrow before the whole rehearsal to see what works best. I think the stabiliser would be good for the slower propeller-powered planes but for the jets, I'm going to have to use a fast shutter speed to freeze the action so that'll counter the camera shake therefore I should be able to turn the stabiliser off? What shutter speed would you say for jets to freeze the action, as a guideline? Are you saying that F/5.6 is a good all-round aperture or would you change it for faster and slower aircraft? You've been a big help, thanks!

Bradley
Old 15-07-2015, 05:11 PM
Ash Lawson
Passage

yes I would usually turn the stabiliser off for action, i.e. anything above about 1/1000. I'd stick to 1/1000 for jets, and like you say, stabiliser on and down to as low as you feel comfortable, 1/100 - 1/250 for prop blur, and if you're feeling really ambitious then panning shots too!
As far as aperture, that depends entirely on your lens. All lenses will have a sweetspot, an aperture or small range of apertures where the lens is sharpest. I usually default to around f/8 - f/11 if I don't know the lens as thats usually a safe bet. All I can say is know your gear! take the time to do comparison tests if you want to be super critical. set up a shot in a controlled environment, and go through a series of shots changing nothing, not shutter speed, focal length, position of camera, or lighting, JUST the aperture. then put them on PC, blow them up to 100% and go across the frame edge to edge looking at distortion and corner sharpness. In reality corner sharpness is second fiddle to proper shooting technique especially for action shots but it'll tell you how your lens is performing.
Old 15-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
yes I would usually turn the stabiliser off for action, i.e. anything above about 1/1000. I'd stick to 1/1000 for jets, and like you say, stabiliser on and down to as low as you feel comfortable, 1/100 - 1/250 for prop blur, and if you're feeling really ambitious then panning shots too!
As far as aperture, that depends entirely on your lens. All lenses will have a sweetspot, an aperture or small range of apertures where the lens is sharpest. I usually default to around f/8 - f/11 if I don't know the lens as thats usually a safe bet. All I can say is know your gear! take the time to do comparison tests if you want to be super critical. set up a shot in a controlled environment, and go through a series of shots changing nothing, not shutter speed, focal length, position of camera, or lighting, JUST the aperture. then put them on PC, blow them up to 100% and go across the frame edge to edge looking at distortion and corner sharpness. In reality corner sharpness is second fiddle to proper shooting technique especially for action shots but it'll tell you how your lens is performing.
I'm going to be shooting with a 55-250MM Canon lens (with hood.) I've noted all of the suggested settings in my photography notebook! As I say, I think I'm going to use tomorrow as my tester day to find what works best in preparation for the full rehearsal on Friday. I like your avatar, is it your bird?

Bradley
Old 16-07-2015, 05:41 AM
Ash Lawson
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
I'm going to be shooting with a 55-250MM Canon lens (with hood.) I've noted all of the suggested settings in my photography notebook! As I say, I think I'm going to use tomorrow as my tester day to find what works best in preparation for the full rehearsal on Friday. I like your avatar, is it your bird?

Bradley
Ha lovely pic but no she's not mine, just a picture Admin assigned me because of the name I guess!
If its the 55-250 IS II the you should have no problems around f/5.6 - f/11. you'll want to stick around f/8 - f/11 for teams (Reds, Frecci Tricolori etc) as that will give you enough depth to keep all the jets in focus, but try pushing to 5.6 for the solos, it should handle it. good luck! It's a frustrating game but very enjoyable!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2194.JPG (14.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2788.JPG (18.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3276.JPG (19.7 KB, 48 views)
Old 16-07-2015, 08:48 PM
Steve
Passage

One big ass jet just been circling Stratton Swindon nearly burst my ear drums it was going for it
Old 19-07-2015, 07:34 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Back from RIAT and it was a great year! Lots to be seen and a good range of aircraft this time. That 'big ass jet' was probably one of the multi-role fighters of some sort. I have to say that the Eurofighter Typhoon was particularly loud this year! Photos to follow so keep a lookout.

Bradley
Old 20-07-2015, 04:01 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

I haven't forgotten about the write-up and photos but I'm super busy as these are our last two days of the school term! Got a spare week after though so I'll sort everything then.

Bradley