Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > What is your County, Province or State? > England

Old 06-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Chick

Default Clover Honey.....

so i read about this clover honey that is supose to help birds moult and give a feather perfect finish to the moult is there any truth to this all views welcome thanx.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Jim Entwistle
Haggard

Default Re: Clover honey.....

Are you planning on hunting before September ?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutFlying View Post
Are you planning on hunting before September ?
It's been awhile Jim and took a bit from the honey pot to get you to post,can't resist a bit honey eh
Hope your well my friend

Atb,Rab
Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Chick

No whats the point the trees are still in full bloom..i was just asking because i cant see how honey can help the moult
Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Jim Entwistle
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab Marshall View Post
It's been awhile Jim and took a bit from the honey pot to get you to post,can't resist a bit honey eh
Hope your well my friend

Atb,Rab
Hello Rab,
Just finished the chapter for Tommy, hunting on a hillside. Bring the binoculars.

Catch up soon.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pojohnson123 View Post
no whats the point the trees are still in full bloom..i was just asking because i cant see how honey can help the moult
It's bull stein.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Alan Oliver
Haggard

I think there's been all kinds of potions mentioned on here over the years, my advice to anyone is to increase the nutritional value of the diet rats guiney pigs are brilliant for the moult, you don't have to feed them dailey infact the bird will refuse food if fed too often, every other of third day half a large rat or a a guiney pig, honey!!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Stewart Robertson
Haggard

Some swear by it, some say it is a load of tosh. A good diet and plenty of sunlight should do the job in the time required,

Many noticed a difference last year, due to the lack of sunlight. Moults taking longer and not as good as they are normally. Typical British summer, but less sunlight than usual. Maybe that is the key,

Anyway, everyone keeps going on about the decline in the bee population. So, in conservation terms, leave the honey for the bees,
Old 07-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Chick

Yes the british summer ...winter hasnt left us yet ..lol iv heard a few thingsabout honey but dont no what to make of it ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
i think there's been all kinds of potions mentioned on here over the years, my advice to anyone is to increase the nutritional value of the diet rats guiney pigs are brilliant for the moult, you don't have to feed them dailey infact the bird will refuse food if fed too often, every other of third day half a large rat or a a guiney pig, honey!!
Yes she gets plenty of rat and mice quail.. i have never given her hons as i cant see the point and could see it being a messy job with the way my bird eats
Old 07-04-2013, 12:19 PM
John
Passage

Im kind of baffled by this honey question. Why? because it did work for my birds the first time i tried it. The truth is: Both my birds never seem to start throwing feathers in any given normal year until around the beginning or middle of may. However when i first tried clover honey both my birds started throwing feathers in the middle of march, this believe me is unusual. Infact they were throwing feathers at such an alarming rate i stopped useing the honey for a spell, and it seemed to do the trick as the moult started to slow down again. The thing is: when i resumed feeding with the honey it speeded up again. Now this is where things start to get baffling, because the following year when i tried the clover honey, it simply did not work, nor has it since. Atb
Old 07-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Salman
Passage

I have been using honey for some years now. Its not clover honey per se, but it is wild source honey from a mountainous are about 400 miles away. It's straight from the hive, not processed like the shop bought stuff.

In my exprience, honey does more than just aid the moult. It is a natural tomic of sorts, its speeds up the bird's metabolism, boost their immune system. Results in a good clean moult, and the feathers are shinier, broader, more supple, and perhaps a tad longer too. From what I have seen, it speeds up the moult in some birds but on others it has no effect at all. Why, I do not know. What I do know is that is has the most pronounced effect on a passage or juvenile bird, then a haggard and the least on an intermewed birds, generally speaking. However, thare are exceptions that defy this statement.

The best remedy for a slow moult is not just honey, but honey along with the thyroid glands from a goat or a sheep, to kick start the moult. And once the moult has started, feed the bird avaried diet consisting of free range day old chicks, field mice, jerboas, and spiny tailed lizards. Failing all these just raise your own quail on an organic diet and feed those to your birds.

The quickest moult that I have ever had was several years ago, when I fed my sakers a diet of spiny tailed lizards, desert rats, quails, sparrow, doves and pigeons. My birds started moulting in mid-March and were done by mid-August.