Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > What is your County, Province or State? > England

Old 10-04-2013, 11:46 PM
John
Passage

Default Re: Breeding ferrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pojohnson123 View Post
yes after tonight we will split them up and put them back together for another night after shes had time to rest up
Very sensible, as a hob can inflict some serious damage to a jills neck if left too long. Good to see you are doing things correctly. Atb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFerretMan View Post
When the Jill come In too season she grab him and take him in to her nest. Then I take the hob out
WHAT! I think you've got that ass over elbow.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:11 AM
David Goodwin
Haggard

YOU WILL FIND ONCE THE HOB HAS DONE WHAT HE NEEDS TO DO HE WILL SHOW LITTLE INTEREST IN THE JILL .
Old 11-04-2013, 01:20 AM
John
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
YOU WILL FIND ONCE THE HOB HAS DONE WHAT HE NEEDS TO DO HE WILL SHOW LITTLE INTEREST IN THE JILL .
Sorry dave but i totally disagree. If they are kept together the hob will keep repeating the process over and over. They may take time out after each mateing to clean themselves and perhaps eat and drink, but he will keep harrasing the jill. Over the 40yrs i've kept and worked ferrets i have seen some bad injuries to some jills necks, simply because they were kept too long with the hob. Atb
Old 11-04-2013, 02:14 AM
John
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge100 View Post
Sorry dave but i totally disagree. If they are kept together the hob will keep repeating the process over and over. They may take time out after each mateing to clean themselves and perhaps eat and drink, but he will keep harrasing the jill. Over the 40yrs i've kept and worked ferrets i have seen some bad injuries to some jills necks, simply because they were kept too long with the hob. Atb
Sorry what i meant to say was: Time out to clean themselves, and perhaps eat, drink and sleep. Atb
Old 11-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Kurt Dolphin
Passage

Quote:
Very sensible, as a hob can inflict some serious damage to a jills neck if left too long. Good to see you are doing things correctly. Atb

WHAT! I think you've got that ass over elbow.
Don't think I have. Been around ferrets all my life. The hob will try but it's down too the Jill. Don't make out am think when I know what am on about. Seen with my own eyes.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Chick

Just been out tho sort the bird and feed the ferrets and she looks fine but her fur round her neck is wet so i think hes been at her again today, my uncle is coming to pick her up in a min and bring her back in a day of two
Old 11-04-2013, 12:04 PM
John
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFerretMan View Post
Don't think I have. Been around ferrets all my life. The hob will try but it's down too the Jill. Don't make out am think when I know what am on about. Seen with my own eyes.
Dont talk so much rubbish. The coitus or the phisical act of mateing is extremly violent, the hob will grab the females neck and drag her around the cage mounting her several times, the jill will scream in pain, but the whole process is essential to induce ovulation, that is why the hob grabs the jills neck. I've kept and worked ferrets for 40yrs mate. What you have seen is nothing to do with breeding, infact i have seen that many times with two females.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:20 PM
David Goodwin
Haggard

Quote:
You must have a stud of a ferret John lol , the one i mated my jill with used to be so gentle never realy a mark left of the jills he would take them mate then leave them alone and show little interest in them the next day .
Old 11-04-2013, 02:29 PM
John
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
You must have a stud of a ferret John lol , the one i mated my jill with used to be so gentle never realy a mark left of the jills he would take them mate then leave them alone and show little interest in them the next day .
Or yours is gay. lol Yes Dave some ferrets can be more gentle than others. However read post 16 again, the op stated that when he checked this morning the jill seemed fine, however her neck was wet, which indicated to him that the hob had mated again with her this morning. Atb
Old 11-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Chick

Quote:
Or yours is gay. lol Yes Dave some ferrets can be more gentle than others. However read post 16 again, the op stated that when he checked this morning the jill seemed fine, however her neck was wet, which indicated to him that the hob had mated again with her this morning. Atb
Yes as soon as i put her in yesterday about 3pm he didnt leave her alone at all and as i said went out to them this morning to feed and check her over and her neck was still soaked so he had been on her this morning aswell