Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > NON FALCONRY TOPICS > Photography, Equipment, Reviews & Tutorials

Old 10-04-2015, 07:04 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Default Re: Bird Photography Tips

Thanks for your feedback, sorry if they come out to big or to small. I can't tell how they are going to come out on here as it's different to me viewing the photos through my P.C. Here's another bonus three for today! The 1st photo is a little different from the rest as I have two birds in the same pic! The bird closest is "Alaska" again and the bird in the background is "Annie" a mature Female African Fish Eagle. Her nickname is angry Annie because as she was poorly reared by her previous owner, she has become aggresive to the staff giving them scars for life!

The 2nd shot is of just "Annie." She is a truly beautiful bird and loud. These Eagles are said to be one of the most famous sounds of Africa!

This last shot for the day tells you why they picked Angry Annie as her nickname! I waited patiently to get a close-up of her whilst she was calling. I didn't get her head in perfectly but it was hard because she kept on throwing her head back when she called!

Hope you enjoy these last shots for today. There is plenty more to come though so check this thread daily if you want to see a good range of Raptor photos.

Thanks

Bradley

The 2nd shot of "Annie" (See Description above.)

The 3rd shot of Angry "Annie!" (See Description Above.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annie and Alaska.jpg (84.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Annie Edit 2.jpg (87.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Annie Edit 4.jpg (101.7 KB, 101 views)
Old 10-04-2015, 08:41 PM
Lee
Passage

Good depth of field in the first one...
Old 11-04-2015, 02:00 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Hope everyone is doing well and your enjoying the pics so far. Thanks for your comment Lee. I thought the angle posed for an interesting shot, something a little different from the others. It's time for todays three photos!

The 1st one is of "Annie" the African Fish Eagle again however this time she's airbourne! I thought the timing on this shot was good as she has her wings tight into her body to show motion. For Eagles I used a shutter speed (Tv) of 1250 and an aperture (Av) of around F 5.0. This is the last photo of "Annie."

The 2nd photo is of "Anubis." He is a mix of several Falcon species, you could say he's the 57 veriety of the Falcon world! I zoomed out a little more for this one to try and show the whole of the Falcon. I really love the colours on "Anubis", beautiful. I used the same techneique as the static shots above, an aperture of around F 5.0 and auto shutter speed.

This 3rd photo of "Anubis" is a close-up of his head. I thought this would be good because he has some beautiful orange colours on around his head area. Such an amazing bird because of how many breeds he comes under really reflects his colourations.

You haven't seen anything yet, I have much better photos to come so stay tuned for "Anubis's" flying shots and more Raptor photos including a Stellar's Sea Eagle and beautiful Barn Owl, all coming soon!

Thanks

Bradley

"Anubis" the 57 veriety Falcon

The 2nd photo of the beautiful "Anubis!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annie Edit 5.jpg (88.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Anubis Edit 1.jpg (91.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Anubis Edit 2.jpg (89.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 11-04-2015, 02:08 PM
Alex Brown
Haggard

Nice pics, will have to get you out through the hunting season.

Alex
Old 11-04-2015, 02:15 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Thumbs up Re: Bird Photography Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Nice pics, will have to get you out through the hunting season.

Alex
Thanks Alex, I post 3 up every day so keep checking daily if you like the pics! Yes, I'm looking forward to meeting you and your birds. When should I think about contacting you if that's ok? I know you've given me your contact number so I'm sure we can sort something out.

Thanks

Bradley
Old 11-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Alex Brown
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradazthefalconer View Post
Thanks Alex, I post 3 up every day so keep checking daily if you like the pics! Yes, I'm looking forward to meeting you and your birds. When should I think about contacting you if that's ok? I know you've given me your contact number so I'm sure we can sort something out.

Thanks

Bradley
My male Gos will be done beginning of September and will have a female Harris to sort out a wee bit before that picking her up end of July beginning of August. As soon as the birds are hunting I will drop you a line.

Alex
Old 11-04-2015, 04:05 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
My male Gos will be done beginning of September and will have a female Harris to sort out a wee bit before that picking her up end of July beginning of August. As soon as the birds are hunting I will drop you a line.

Alex
If you PM me when your ready them we can sort something. Don't want to rush you or anything because I know you'll be busy with your birds. I take it your Gos is moulting? Are you breeding any birds at all this season? If you are, good luck!

Regards

Bradley
Old 11-04-2015, 04:18 PM
Sean Donnelly
Haggard

Some decent pics there Brad, I find it more of a challenge to get decent pics of wild birds and much more rewarding when I get something I like

Old 11-04-2015, 04:32 PM
Arthur
Passage

Unhappy Re: Bird Photography Tips

''depth of field''.....
my old Uzzi would have a mode to put the far and near at the same definition .. it could also do a 2 in 1 ... but none of the later cameras can do either ...
Old 11-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

It's funny you say that Sean, one of the reasons I did this was to establish some good settings for Owls. Down our local Kent Wildlife Trust reserve (Oare Marshes) you can regularly see a wild Barn Owl from one of the hides. I'm hoping to get some photos of the bird, if I do, I will post them on this thread for certain. Really lovely pics Sean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post
''depth of field''.....
my old Uzzi would have a mode to put the far and near at the same definition .. it could also do a 2 in 1 ... but none of the later cameras can do either ...
By definition I presume you mean focus? If so, in the shot where depth of field was mentioneed, I delibirately wanted the background blurry to try and get some effect in the shot. I presume Uzzi is a make of camera, I have never heard of it before. I do think that the setting you are describing is avaliable on modern camras but only on the auto setting, I think the auto setting includes everything, depth of field being one of these things. What do you mean by 2 in 1?

Bradley

P.S. Don't forget I have some more photos of "Anubis" but in these he is flying! Check this thread tommorow for more photos! Lots more to come so stay tuned!