Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > NON FALCONRY TOPICS > Photography, Equipment, Reviews & Tutorials

Old 14-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Phil Myers
Haggard

Default Re: Photography Lesson 2 Aperture and Depth of Feild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris View Post
If anyone needs any extra explanations or has any questions please feel free to ask.
Not many lenses these days have distance scales on them so it makes it a bit trickier, and we all know how useless falconers are at judging distance....800yd slips and 1000ft pitches. etc..
I've recently bought a 500d with standard 55mm lense but also bought a Cannon 70-300mm f/4-5.6IS USM. Do you think the automatic settings on it are any good or would you use the shutter or apperture priority function instead. What is ISO priority too??

Old 14-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Simon Rees - Moderator
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallPeregrine View Post
I've recently bought a 500d with standard 55mm lense but also bought a Cannon 70-300mm f/4-5.6IS USM. Do you think the automatic settings on it are any good or would you use the shutter or apperture priority function instead. What is ISO priority too??
Phil Automatic settings on anything will always be a compromise. If you want a fast shutter speed to freeze the bird in motion then you will have to set it to Shutter Priority in order to manually set a fast speed, so as you can see from just that 1 example, you will never get the best or anything close to the best out of your camera by using Auto. There is no such thing as ISO Priority, but if you have the ability to change the ISO manually on any camera then this could be described as ISO priority.

Auto ISO is something totally different and only available I believe on the Nikon D3. It allows you to set the Aperture and Shutter and the camera will constantly change the ISO depending on the light to give you a correct exposure.
Old 14-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Phil Myers
Haggard

Lightbulb Re: Photography Lesson 2 Aperture and Depth of Feild

Quote:
Phil Automatic settings on anything will always be a compromise. If you want a fast shutter speed to freeze the bird in motion then you will have to set it to Shutter Priority in order to manually set a fast speed, so as you can see from just that 1 example, you will never get the best or anything close to the best out of your camera by using Auto. There is no such thing as ISO Priority, but if you have the ability to change the ISO manually on any camera then this could be described as ISO priority.

Auto ISO is something totally different and only available I believe on the Nikon D3. It allows you to set the Aperture and Shutter and the camera will constantly change the ISO depending on the light to give you a correct exposure.
There are other so called auto settings on the 500d like twilight setting, portrait, shooting landscapes and shooting moving objects etc. Would you still go for shutter priority or aperture priority over these basic shooting modes??
Thanks for you advice by the way, much appreciated

Old 14-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Simon Rees - Moderator
Haggard

Default Re: Photography Lesson 2 Aperture and Depth of Field

Phil as I've already said, all of these auto settings are a compromise between the best exposure and the exposure the camera thinks best. The whole point of these tutorials is to give you the tools you need to get away from using these settings and actually getting the best from your camera
Old 14-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Dave
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallPeregrine View Post
Have you seen Simons earlier tutorial? I found it very usefull, and it has untied me from those automatic settings that i have used for so many years.

I have those same lenses for my 20d, and am looking to upgrade to a camera with more pixels and a bigger screen on the back. How do you rate the 500d so far Phil?
Old 14-09-2010, 09:30 PM
John Howell
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rampling View Post
Have you seen Simons earlier tutorial? I found it very usefull, and it has untied me from those automatic settings that i have used for so many years.

I have those same lenses for my 20d, and am looking to upgrade to a camera with more pixels and a bigger screen on the back. How do you rate the 500d so far Phil?
im also not wanting to use auto settings i like to experiment,this is a good subject for me,i have to read it a few times but i think im getting there,we will see when i take my pics,cheers john.
Old 14-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Alan Barnard
Passage

Simon a great thread and very informative,explained in english not scientific
mumbo jumbo.
Question I use a lense with with built in Vibration reduction as I do not use a tripod but steady the camera with the gloved hand once the bird is a way and take continuous shots using shutter priority and setting the camera in advance to the focal point I think the action will take place.
Do you think I would be better just using the lense without the vr setting or does this give more advatages.

Alan sorry if a little off topic.
Old 14-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Simon Rees - Moderator
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Hawker View Post
Simon a great thread and very informative,explained in english not scientific
mumbo jumbo.
Question I use a lense with with built in Vibration reduction as I do not use a tripod but steady the camera with the gloved hand once the bird is a way and take continuous shots using shutter priority and setting the camera in advance to the focal point I think the action will take place.
Do you think I would be better just using the lense without the vr setting or does this give more advatages.

Alan sorry if a little off topic.
Alan the VR will definitely allow you to shoot at about 2 stops slower than you would normally get away with by hand holding the camera. If you have the function then use it, I never switch mine off.
Old 14-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Phil Myers
Haggard

Lightbulb Re: Photography Lesson 2 Aperture and Depth of Feild

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rampling View Post

Hi David
Sorry for delayed reply could get on forum for some reason.
I think the 500d is great, I was going to wait out for the 550d but glad I didnt there only 3millions pixels difference between the two and a slighlt be video mode.
I'm more than happy and will probably never use it to its true potential.

Truely good buy

Old 14-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Phil Myers
Haggard

Quote:
phil as I've already said, all of these auto settings are a compromise between the best exposure and the exposure the camera thinks best. The whole point of these tutorials is to give you the tools you need to get away from using these settings and actually getting the best from your camera
Thanks will be an avid reader than