Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > NON FALCONRY TOPICS > Photography, Equipment, Reviews & Tutorials

Old 15-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Tony
Brancher

Default Re: Photography Lesson 2 Aperture and Depth of Field

Its alot to take in ,and as many of us will be tacking pics of our birds ,understanding hyperfocal distance probably wont be crucial,however in a landscape scene it will be . Some cameras come with a DOF preview button which closes the aperture ring to show the curent DOF through the viewfinder . This however wont show you the corect hyperfocal distance .
I cant imagen carying a tape mesure or as you said Si judging the corect distance to my subject within the frame with much acuracy so when im shooting landscapes on small apertures i just pull the focus ring back in a tad and take a few shots braketing with the aperture,and hope for the best.
So the question is , how do you do it ?
Old 15-09-2010, 07:07 AM
Dave
Haggard

Default Re: Photography Lesson 2 Aperture and Depth of Feild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallPeregrine View Post
Hi David
Sorry for delayed reply could get on forum for some reason.
I think the 500d is great, I was going to wait out for the 550d but glad I didnt there only 3millions pixels difference between the two and a slighlt be video mode.
I'm more than happy and will probably never use it to its true potential.

truely good buy
Crikey! that flying shot is impressive!
Old 15-09-2010, 07:30 AM
Simon Rees - Moderator
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolabrawonga View Post
Its alot to take in ,and as many of us will be tacking pics of our birds ,understanding hyperfocal distance probably wont be crucial,however in a landscape scene it will be . Some cameras come with a DOF preview button which closes the aperture ring to show the curent DOF through the viewfinder . This however wont show you the corect hyperfocal distance .
I cant imagen carying a tape mesure or as you said Si judging the corect distance to my subject within the frame with much acuracy so when im shooting landscapes on small apertures i just pull the focus ring back in a tad and take a few shots braketing with the aperture,and hope for the best.
So the question is , how do you do it ?
Tony there are many techniques that are more of less never used these days with modern Digital cameras, and as I said Hyperfocal distance isn't something anyone really needs to use on a daily basis, however for taking pictures of your bird flying towards you it is sometimes useful to know that you don,t need to be bang on with the focus because you have preset the focus to a distance that gives you maximum Depth of Field. I guess when I'm photographing something I rely on experience and an understanding of the aperture and the lens I'm using, plus of course these days I can see the results on the camera and of course there's nothing stopping me taking upwards of 1000 shots in a session to ensure I get the one I want.
Old 15-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Alan Barnard
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris View Post
Alan the VR will definitely allow you to shoot at about 2 stops slower than you would normally get away with by hand holding the camera. If you have the function then use it, I never switch mine off.
Cheers Simon will do.
Great thread keep it going. Alan
Old 16-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Dave
Haggard

If you are going for a high shutter speed, do you wind up the ISO even if the light is good? As (i believe) ISO equates to film speed?
Old 16-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Simon Rees - Moderator
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rampling View Post
If you are going for a high shutter speed, do you wind up the ISO even if the light is good? As (i believe) ISO equates to film speed?
ISO is basically film speed David as you say, so you can increase the ISO or Open the aperture. remember the first tutorial. 1 stop faster on the shutter means half of the amount of light let in, so to compensate you either open the aperture 1 stop or double the film speed or ISO.
Old 17-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Phil Myers
Haggard

Default Re: Photography Lesson 2 Aperture and Depth of Feild

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rampling View Post
Crikey! that flying shot is impressive!
Thanks David you want to look up the reviews on the 500D and seriously consider aquiring one.
You'll get a great deal considering its been superseded by 550D
Atb
Phil