Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Members Birds Diaries, Logs and Journals!

Old 16-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Default Here's Archie.

archie0006.jpg

archie0007.jpg

archie0010.jpg

On thursday i collected my first bird from Stuart (Sbfalconry) i was accompanied on the journey by my mentor Nigel (Musketmad). The day was one of mixed feelings, great excitement and some great concerns particularly as i watched Nigel and Stuart fit the anklets and jesses.
When we returned home Nigel managed to get him weighed at 2lb 6oz.

Day 1: Friday spent the day manning, when i picked up the leash and jesses he would fall over backwards, but by the end of the day was recovering to the fist by himself. However he needed help to get back up from the many bates during the sessions. tried to weigh but could not get him near the scales.

Day 2: Saturday when i went in to collect him in the morning for the first time, to my surprise he remained on the bow and made no attempt to bate, as i picked up the leash and jesses he stepped on to the glove, i went straight to the scales and on he stepped 2lb 3oz. he then began bating and needed to be helped.
i tried him with some food but there was no interest.
i shall have to watch him closer tomorrow as every time i put him on the bow i tie two falconers knots but every time i've gone back later to get him there has only been one, i don't know if he is undoing it or i'm not tying the second one correctly?

i'll try to keep the dairy going with his progress.
my thanks to Stuart for what i think is a cracking bird and to Nigel for his advice and guidance.

Mick
Old 16-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Passage

Wink Re: Here's Archie.

All the best for the season look forward to seeing the thread develop
Old 16-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Brancher

Default Re: Here's Archie.

Good luck
Old 16-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Brancher

Nige will help alot.good luck
Old 16-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Brancher

Bonni looking bird and I'm sure all will be well, All the best with him and look forward to reading your diary...

Atb

Guy
Old 16-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Ross Ricken
Haggard

Handsome bird good luck
Old 17-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Day 3: Sunday much the same as Saturday, picked up from the bow he made no attempt to bate just stepped onto the glove, went to the scales and on he stepped 2lb 2 & 3/8oz. I sat with him indoors as it was raining and he went to sleep for about 15mins only waking at a sudden noise.

i put him out on the grass when it was dry and put his bath next to the bow, he had many drinks but did not bathe. began bating alot so took him back in to settle.

i again tried him with some food but there was no interest.

He appears to have cast overnight it was green.

No trouble with the knots today.
Old 16-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Dean Leadon
Haggard

Ahhhh!Brings back memories,awkward ******s!You aint gonna get any sense outta him for a while yet!!!!But he,ll be well worth it if you do a good job on him!!!!Highly underated nowadays,brilliant birds in the right hands!
Old 28-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Keith Morris
Brancher

[QUOTE=Mrmick;866281]Attachment 59067

Attachment 59068

Attachment 59069

On thursday i collected my first bird from Stuart (Sbfalconry) i was accompanied on the journey by my mentor Nigel (Musketmad). The day was one of mixed feelings, great excitement and some great concerns particularly as i watched Nigel and Stuart fit the anklets and jesses.

Day 1: Friday spent the day manning, when i picked up the leash and jesses he would fall over backwards, but by the end of the day was recovering to the fist by himself. However he needed help to get back up from the many bates during the sessions. tried to weigh but could not get him near the scales.

Day 2: Saturday when i went in to collect him in the morning for the first time, to my surprise he remained on the bow and made no attempt to bate, as i picked up the leash and jesses he stepped on to the glove, i went straight to the scales and on he stepped 2lb 3oz. he then began bating and needed to be helped.
i shall have to watch him closer tomorrow as every time i put him on the bow i tie two falconers knots but every time i've gone back later to get him there has only been one, i don't know if he is undoing it or i'm not tying the second one correctly?

my thanks to Stuart for what i think is a cracking bird and to Nigel for his advice and guidance.

Mick[/QUOTE Nice to someone flying a redtail i flew one for seven years great bird to fly learnt a lot from it
Old 04-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmick View Post
Attachment 59067

Attachment 59068

Attachment 59069

Mick
all the best with him
atb
Drew