Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Members Birds Diaries, Logs and Journals!

Old 07-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Default Re: Here's Archie.

Day 177 Saturday

The overnight snow fall was not too heavy, i had decided that if he was not under 1lb 15oz today i would not not hunt him, at 1130am he was not so went to the local meadows to work him around and hopefully get him down for Sunday, when we got there it was full of kids playing in the snow and dog walkers so was not able to fly him. So i decided to take him to a woodland i have permission on.
When we arrived i met the owner who said there were rabbits in the open behind the buildings and he obviously wanted to see him have a go at them, i explained that he was not on form but would have ago, we crept around to see one rabbit in the distance Archie was gone, as i got there he was in a tree fixed on a spot of blackberry, a few whacks with me stick and the rabbit was running but made a pile of fallen trees, i got him back on the glove and started around the trees again the rabbit was running and Archie was in pursuit this time it made thick cover and we could not find it? I was surprised how determined he was so started to wade through the heavy cover hoping to move it i was holding Archie high to give him a better view when again he was off crashing heavily into the cover, a cock pheasant took off Archie stood there with feet full of feathers. He has not really shown any true interest in them before.
We moved off into the woods and started to ferret the earths we bolted 4 or 5 over the next couple of hours, he lacked the sharpness he had before he broke his talon but he got up after the initial miss and continued to chase on every slip, proper Redtail behaviour. I also tried having him high in the trees whilst i worked the ground and twice we found rabbits that resulted in long chases and multiple attempts.
As we followed one rabbit from cover to cover i got him back to the glove as i beat the bushes, he was off again crashing into a cock pheasant and not the rabbit i bolted, he still only got a pile of feathers.

After one long chase his broken talon again started to bleed slowly but had stopped before i got back to the car to do the first aid. If it is ok will take him out tomorrow,
I'm glad the kids were in the meadow today and we were forced to go out, his sudden interest in feather might give us more opportunities, he even went for a smaller bird which i did not see clearly. His frustration remains and he footed me as we returned home and i was preparing to clean up the talon again, he caught me off guard as i was concentrating rather than watching him, fortunately he did not draw blood but it was a good reminder.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Day 178 Sunday

Due to a change i my wife's work arrangements today i had to go out early this morning. I cannot remember how many earths we ferreted without success but it was a hard morning for the ferret who worked non stop. We only got one bolt all session and he was unlucky not to connect finally losing it under a portable building.
We moved to the hedgerows around the boundary of the permission and put the ferret back to work she quickly bolted three baby rabbits about as big as my hand, i managed to hold onto Archie, as the ferret chased them from hole to hole, i eventually intercepted her and ended the session.

I took him home and did some more repair work on the talon then bowed him out on the lawn in the sunshine. He is well wound up.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Day 179 Monday

Heavy rain and high winds so forced to do jump ups in the garden.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Day 180 Tuesday

Managed to get to the meadow for an hour before i had to return to work.
Pushed him to and from the trees with non-stop cast and recall up and down the meadow.
Still trying to foot me as i clean and treat his talon.

Day 181 Wednesday

As i had a long night at work my boss gave me the afternoon off so picked up Nigel and went to the fields of Xmas trees. there is a row of trees across the middle of the field so we put him up into the highest tree and spreadout to work the cover towards him, he was quickly off and over our heads and crashed down onto a pheasent that made its escape. I got him back and put him back up with us again working below he was off into the distance and we both thought it was a rabbit, i got him back to the glove as we tried to find it amongst the trees he again spotted it put lost sight during the flight and we could not find it.
We worked back around the edges putting him up into a small tree, again he was quickly off and travelled the full width of the field going up into the trees on the far side, we walked towards him and eventually i disturbed a rabbit which ran in Nigel's direction Archie was on his way and Nig was running to head it off, Nig believes that a second rabbit bolted and Archie hit it at the base of a small Xmas tree, he was on his back one foot in the air, head in the tree gripping the rabbit by the head with the other foot. I pulled the rabbit out and he righted himself, as i was opening it up after despatching it for him i did not realise that he had taken a foot off and he banged me in the back of my right hand, no damage done this time but another reminder that I had not followed the golden rules Nig taught me.

Allowed him to feed up and took him home, after washing his feet i placed him on the swing perch in the afternoon sun. i check him regular and noticed that the talon was bleeding, it took several goes to stop the bleed and he was determined to foot me as i tended to it so ended up walking around the garden to distract him whilst i did it. But it seemed to be ok again by the time i had settled him for the night.

110209.JPG

110209a.JPG
Old 11-02-2009, 10:52 PM
David Goodwin
Haggard

sounds like your having fun why not put some germaleene skins on his talon they work wonders mate and go hard once a few layers are put on this will help heal the talon and protect it
Old 12-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Dave,
I have been using the germolene skin for a while now, i think yesterdays activity disturbed it, as when i was cleaning it the "shell" that had formed was flapping loose. I have re-applied it and will again build it up over the next few days.
Mick
Old 12-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Day 182 Thursday

Decided not to risk the talon again today as it was a lot harder to stop yesterday than when the original break happened, so did some jump ups in the garden with him and then cleaned and recoated the broken end with the germolene skin.
By this time the snow was falling and laying and it has not stopped yet, so could be an interesting weekend if it stays.
Old 16-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Day 183 Friday
Exercised in the local meadow, thw snow is almost gone.

Day 184 Saturday

Due to the decline in the manufacturing industry the company i work for has closed for the coming week, so to get the most from this i have sacrificed Saturdays normal hunt to start decorating the lounge, that should break the back of it and enable me to get out most days.
exercised in the meadow.

Day 185 Sunday

Out for most of the day but could not find any quarry, only bolted one rabbit despite ferreting many earths, he went in pursuit of a few distant rabbits that he spotted when i had him up in the trees but did not get close to any of them.
He was well wound up when we got home coming out of the box like a lunatic determined to foot anything he could get at, so had a tough time jessing up and cleaning the broken talon.

Day 186 Monday

Slight bleed from the talon today so decided to exercise in the meadow to give it some time and bowed out in the sunshine, hope to be out tomorrow.
Old 17-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Day 187 Tuesday

Not able to get access to today's intended destination so resorted to a session in the meadow.
He was very responsive and well mannered a real joy to watch him do his stuff.
Out tomorrow with Nigel, going to give the xmas trees another go.
Old 18-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Nigel
Haggard

Went out with mick today
Ill leave him to do his normal write up but ill post a couple of photos ....spot the rabbit in the pursuit photo...
First pic is the christmas tree plantation ...great for walking up quarry ....mick needs a dog lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18 02 09 and Scarlett's Bday-01.JPG (58.8 KB, 133 views)