Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Devon

Old 05-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Egg

Default New to this :)

Hi, im really interested in falconary and would eventually like to be able to keep my own bird. I havent had much experience, but did do a mini course at woodlands a good few years back and have attended a few displays etc. Ive read quite a few falconry books and its defo someting i would love to get into.
I wondered if there was anyone around the bay who could mentor me. (im in Torquay)
I have a large garden for eventually housing my own bird (not sure what i want yet though) but as i said im pretty much totally new to this so will need lots of mentoring/instruction etc.
What are my options around this neck of the woods?
Aly
Old 05-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Gary Griffiths
Brancher

Default Re: New to this :)

Its the wrong time of year to be going out with birds as most will now be going down to mould, but its probably the best time to look for someone to help/mentor you, as it gives them time to get to know you, ans wether its worth their time, come September, to take you out and show you what you need.
Other options are finding a centre local to you, and volunteer with them, as they fly all year round, there is plenty of hands on experience
Old 16-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Walt Comber
Egg

Default Re: New to this :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roobear View Post
Hi, im really interested in falconary and would eventually like to be able to keep my own bird. I havent had much experience, but did do a mini course at woodlands a good few years back and have attended a few displays etc. Ive read quite a few falconry books and its defo someting i would love to get into.
I wondered if there was anyone around the bay who could mentor me. (im in Torquay)
I have a large garden for eventually housing my own bird (not sure what i want yet though) but as i said im pretty much totally new to this so will need lots of mentoring/instruction etc.
What are my options around this neck of the woods?
Aly
I will be at Higher Audley avenue windmill hill green daily from 5 pm training my ferruginous if you want to come along.
I cannot give any instruction as not qualified ( still under instruction myself).
You are welcome to come and chat while I am manning before she flys it may help both of us.