Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > New to the Forum?

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Brancher

Smile Hi guys I'm new to Falconry total novice.

Hi people just thought I would join the website to learn more about falconry and to get the right information from experienced people, so anyway I haven't got a bird at this moment in time but I phoned a man today off bird trader and I might be picking a female harris hawk chick up in like 3 or 4 weeks the chick will be around ten days old so just wondering what you thought are on me imprinting her? Cheers appreciate all information. Mike
Old 02-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Brancher

Default Re: Hi guys I'm new to falconry total novice.

If you are inexperienced I would avoid an imprint, there is just too much to go wrong. In fact I would put the brakes on, if you get a bird before you get the knowledge you will need, a mentor, plenty of land to hunt on, a suitable enclosure and telemetry, you will end up with a disaster. And you run the risk of bringing this fine sport to disrepute. Mx.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Trevor Oertel
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyv View Post
Hi people just thought I would join the website to learn more about falconry and to get the right information from experienced people, so anyway I haven't got a bird at this moment in time but I phoned a man today off bird trader and I might be picking a female harris hawk chick up in like 3 or 4 weeks the chick will be around ten days old so just wondering what you thought are on me imprinting her? Cheers appreciate all information. Mike
Hi Mike

Welcome to the IFF.

To save yourself a whole host of headaches please take the time to read the pdf file by clicking on the link at the bottom left hand corner of this post "IFF Starter Pack" and then lets talk again.

Regards
Trevor
Old 02-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Brancher

Fair enough I know what you're saying I've read it hundreds of times people saying you could ruin the sport and things but also I've got my heart set on getting a bird I've wanted it for years now plus I've also got friends nearby to give me a hand if things do go wrong. Plus everyone person has to start somewhere haven't they? I appreciate what you're saying tho but I want good advice not always trying to put me off. Cheers

Also lots land round by me I'm sure that would be fine I've read up a few things also seen friends raise their birds etc.... Just never had hands on experience myself
Old 02-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Worzel
Brancher

If you can get some copy's of nick fox DVDs then get them and watch them and watch them again also try some books like Phillip glacier falconry and hawking or jemima parry jones and read them but if I was you I would do as much research as possible and just wait until the start of the season but really you need to get a mentor as your mentor will be hands on with your hawk so can see things you won't,do you have all suitable equipment I.e bow perch,TELEMETRY,bells a spare freezer,suitable housing not just for tethering but also a moult,permission to fly also maybe a dog or ferret to supply game,not knocking you but you said you was a novice so do you know how to respect your quarry and dispatch it as quickly as possible
We all start somewhere so why not give it a go but in the meantime why not read,study and learn how to make anklets,jesses and tie a falconers knot or even do a little basic course at a falconry centre but whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck and really do hope you master it and seriously get the bug because no doubt if you get the bug it's an automatic passion,honestly best of luck and always ask no matter how silly it seems even if you do get a bit of stick from some members on here,just take it as a pinch of salt and soak up the useful information as there is not 1 single person on here who knows it all and nor will there ever be....
Old 02-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Brancher

Smile Re: Hi guys I'm new to falconry total novice.

Thank you for that reply that was the kind of information I was looking for also as far as equipment I got mews just need rest but I will get the rest sorted very soon and I will take all you're information in plus do lots of reading watch videos, get some hands on experience and I will let you how I get on! Also all the best to you too! mike
Old 02-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Eddie Thorn
Passage

Quote:
Plus everyone person has to start somewhere haven't they?
They do indeed, but an imprint harris hawk is not the place for anyone to start, ever!

Please please please, learn about what you are getting into before you decide to buy a hawk. When you do you will understand why getting an imprint harris hawk is, at best, a crazy idea for a beginner.

New eyasses at a sensible age will become available later this summer and so realistically this is the earliest that you should be considering obtaining a hawk. In the meantime you have time to get on with building a suitable mews, saving up for and buying telemetry and learning as much as you possibly can.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Brancher

Smile Re: Hi guys I'm new to falconry total novice.

Eddie why not a little faith? Like I explained help is always there if I need it but I'm not a complete retard! I will look after the bird from my point of view hands on is the best experience you can get?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Eddie Thorn
Passage

Quote:
Eddie why not a little faith? Like I explained help is always there if I need it but I'm not a complete retard! I will look after the bird from my point of view hands on is the best experience you can get?
You started the thread saying that you are a newbie asking opinion on imprinting a harris as a first bird and gave the impression of being yet another beginner looking to rush into things. I gave you my advice, which I am sure would be the same advice given by any half sensible falconer to the same enquiry. Very very few experience falconers fly imprinted harris hawks for a reason. There simply is nothing to be gained by a beginner to start this way and a whole lot of problems that this could cause.

Are you saying that the best experience is hands on with your own hawk or hands on experience tagging along with a mentor and their hawks whilst you learn the ropes first? If the latter then it is sound thinking, if on the other hand you think that you get the hawk first and subsequently learn as you go then you are wrong. I won't go on as I hope this isn't what you are suggesting.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Brancher

Yes Eddie you are right that is what I'm suggesting that I get hands on experience with my own bird? Like I said I'm not completely stupid plus the guy on the phone told me I would be fine with imprinting for first time and if you don't make mistakes you won't learn from them right? But I understand what you're saying people can kill these beautiful birds if in the wrong hands but I will be 100% committed to learning and looking after this bird
Closed Thread