Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Old 26-03-2017, 04:20 AM
Egg

Default New hunting partner

I just purchased a 2 year old MHH and am completely taken by his temperament, especially since my last bird was a passage prairie falcon. I now understand why so many people fly HH. Since being with his previous owner, he has developed a nasty food begging/screeching habit. I thought that since he doesn't know me very well that he might overcome it but no luck. Even the sight of me will cause him to call out. When we are in the field hunting he is absolutely quiet and a pleasure to be around. My question is has anyone had any success in breaking this habit and what steps can I take to break him of this.
Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hunting.jpg (94.8 KB, 185 views)
Old 26-03-2017, 01:00 PM
Doug Tricker
Passage

Default Re: New hunting partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieFanatic View Post
I just purchased a 2 year old MHH and am completely taken by his temperament, especially since my last bird was a passage prairie falcon. I now understand why so many people fly HH. Since being with his previous owner, he has developed a nasty food begging/screeching habit. I thought that since he doesn't know me very well that he might overcome it but no luck. Even the sight of me will cause him to call out. When we are in the field hunting he is absolutely quiet and a pleasure to be around. My question is has anyone had any success in breaking this habit and what steps can I take to break him of this.
Thank you
The short answer to your last question is "none". This may sound negative but it is the truth and is probably the reason the previous owner parted with him.He may quieten down if and when you fatten him up to moult, but will resume his screaming when taken back down to flying weight.
Old 27-03-2017, 10:36 AM
Egg

When we are out in the field hunting he's very quiet and focused. I was just curious if there was anything that I could do but i'm afraid you're correct. Thanks!
Old 27-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Matt
Brancher

On a tangent, I would have said the hawk was female having looked only at the photo. What does he weigh?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Old 27-03-2017, 03:25 PM
Brancher

It's a long shot, but there are some measures you can try to minimise the impact of his/her screaming.

First and foremost arrange the view from within the aviary so that you cannot be seen as you go about your daily business. Even better if it looks out on landscape with activity to distract your HH.

Vary feeding times and feed blind into the aviary to reduce association with you as the only food provider.

Minimise your contact during the moult to maximise return to the wild state.

When recovering the hawk next season, use the lure for the majority of recalls to continue reducing the Hawks view of you as a food provider.

Assuming this hawk was parent reared there is a chance that you can improve the situation, but a total turn around is a difficult/impossible task.

Good luck

Brian
Old 28-03-2017, 05:37 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty18714 View Post
On a tangent, I would have said the hawk was female having looked only at the photo. What does he weigh?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
His hunting weight is 660g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gull Whacker View Post
It's a long shot, but there are some measures you can try to minimise the impact of his/her screaming.

First and foremost arrange the view from within the aviary so that you cannot be seen as you go about your daily business. Even better if it looks out on landscape with activity to distract your HH.

Vary feeding times and feed blind into the aviary to reduce association with you as the only food provider.

Minimise your contact during the moult to maximise return to the wild state.

When recovering the hawk next season, use the lure for the majority of recalls to continue reducing the Hawks view of you as a food provider.

Assuming this hawk was parent reared there is a chance that you can improve the situation, but a total turn around is a difficult/impossible task.

Good luck

Brian
Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely try your advice.