Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Hampshire

Old 29-03-2008, 04:36 AM
Chick

Default Hampshire mentoring

Hi, I live in hampshire on the west side wilts/hants border, I am very interested in getting a bird of which I am still unsure, I am looking to get my own bird in 2009/2010 BUT obviously although thats my wish if I don't feel I can give it my all then I wouldn't even contemplate it. The reason being is that I am looking for anyone in this area to guide/mentor me PLZ PLZ PLZ.
I am split atm on birds am very interested in HHs but have always fancied a smaller bird if that makes sense so any advice would also be muchly appreciated.
I am looking for someone to take me out show me the housing side of things and obviously I would be willing to help out in my sparetime with any chores. This is depending on travelling times I wouldnt obviously travel 150 miles to clean out for an hour after work but you probably know the score.

So if there are any miserable old gits that want someone to annoy them with questions then I am your man, if not just someone who has a love for a sport that can pass it on.
Old 29-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Passage

Default Re: Hampshire

if you live in Andover, why dont you go and volunteer at the hawk conservancy?

dunno bout the hunting side of things, but you'd get contact with many species of raptor.

good luck

Si
Old 29-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Chick

Tried that and got blown out, have asked there first uear was about '99 then again in '01 then went back up there at '05 and again last year and got nothing back from them. The reason for the break in between was the thinking that maybe it was just me and that if I left it a bit they might forget about me and then think I was someone new and let me in.
Old 29-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Nigel
Passage

Don't realy understand the comment about the hawk conservancy, every thursday it's open house to anyone that wants to muck in and help out. I have been going there for years, are you a member there?

What did you ask for when you went there? As I have never heard of them turning a pair of hands away.
Old 29-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nig295 View Post
Don't realy understand the comment about the hawk conservancy, every thursday it's open house to anyone that wants to muck in and help out. I have been going there for years, are you a member there?

What did you ask for when you went there? As I have never heard of them turning a pair of hands away.
I only visited there once and they were looking for volunteers then to help out with all kinds of stuff that would give you so much knowledge, so not sure why they are being like that, very strange!
They've got a very good reputation for giving people as much help/info as poss.
Old 29-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Chick

I worked with a volunteer and he was the one who told me to go when i showed an interest with them, so I went and asked and got turned down maybe I didnt look committed or something I don't know why, but I will give it a go and see what happens am not against going back and asking hell have been doing it enough, but was just putting the reasons why I hadnt.
Old 29-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Egg

I contacted The Hawk Conservancy about full time employment (as I'm unemployed) or being a volunteer.
They don't need anyone full time workers but they did give me the name of a chap I would need to speak to for being a volunteer. They said the more hands the better for them. Cant remember who I have to speak to as lost the bit of paper with name on it.
OH WELL! I'll have to ring them back.
Old 29-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Chick

If you find out his name hook me up maybe I was talking to the wrong people if he is the man then might be a foot in, Cheers.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned
Brancher

Dont know what this is all about, as long as your not covered in piercings work hard, and are committed to it they seem more than willing to help you out.

Like Nige said, not really sure what you expect?

I've stopped working there (as a volunteer) for a bit whilst my exams blow over, but in the summer i'll be up there 3 days a week. Just ring the the conservancy's number or email them, it's not rocket science.

Jamie
Old 07-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Brancher

hi i cant see why they would have turned you down and who ever you talk to you will aways get through to the right person and we need all the voulentiers we can get as long as you work hard and pull your weight i cant see why not.
Im am one of the best though so you cant beat me at working im always there most loyal voulentier i reckon.