Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FORUM SPONSORSHIP & COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING > GAMEHAWK DESIGNS

Old 31-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Egg

Default Re: Pineo Braided Jess sets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merger View Post
Andy.. its one of those things you have to just try.. Doug made them to 1 prevent the enercia of swivel jump between the jesses.. and 2 not to lock when 1 jess slides down over the swivel..Sadly he couldnt do anything about how you feel, when you lose 1...
Been using this "U.S." system of swivel and jess extender for years now, never any tangles so no hawks wrapped up horribly.
Best way to avoid the expense of paying for Doug's new car, learn to braid and make your own Art Tawatari showed me how to do it around 10 years ago and we used to make 'em up in the long Montana evenings when it was -20F out side the door. It's a little skill that has served me well, and I GIVE the jess's away to my mates. The spool of 80lb Dacron cost me around a fiver (OK it was in California) and I'm still only around a half way through it. Good value for me. BTW, takes me around a half hour to make a pair of jess's, about 15 minutes to make a jess extender, and it works for me to braid the swivel onto the leash too.
Old 31-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Passage

There is little doubt that braided jesses and jess extenders, especially those braided directly to the leash, are the way forward for the smaller BOP. I am a real traditionalist but have to accept this as an improvement to leather in most cases (not all). Braid slips so well in the eye of the anklet and being semi rigid, gets itself out of the way rather than twist and tangle. As has been said, everyone should learn the braiding skill and make your own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aba jess extender.jpg (44.9 KB, 149 views)
Old 31-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellbuoy View Post
Been using this "U.S." system of swivel and jess extender for years now, never any tangles so no hawks wrapped up horribly.
Best way to avoid the expense of paying for Doug's new car, learn to braid and make your own Art Tawatari showed me how to do it around 10 years ago and we used to make 'em up in the long Montana evenings when it was -20F out side the door. It's a little skill that has served me well, and I GIVE the jess's away to my mates. The spool of 80lb Dacron cost me around a fiver (OK it was in California) and I'm still only around a half way through it. Good value for me. BTW, takes me around a half hour to make a pair of jess's, about 15 minutes to make a jess extender, and it works for me to braid the swivel onto the leash too.
I don't suppose he showed you how to make hoods like his at the same time? They're lovely.

Regarding paying for Doug's new car, I don't mind chipping in a little bit towards it,although it would be nice to be able to braid something of the same quality for myself --- but heck, that sennit rose knot looks too complicated for me

Best wishes,

Tony.
Old 31-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Grant Campbell
Brancher

Don't suppose anyone knows of books or places that will assist in the teaching stage, picked up some Dacron but need to know where to start

And the wax method, what wax to use when braiding?

Old 31-01-2013, 03:30 PM
Eddie Thorn
Passage

I think that Pineo might have this equipment made by the same person in the US that I had make me a few sets a couple of years back, either way they look the same.

I just wanted to add my praise to this system on two different counts:

1. Jesse Extenders - These should become standard for all falconers. They completely elimated the risk of the leash/swivel getting tangled inbetween the jesses. These dont need to be dacron. You can make them out of leather too, they are like a slightly oversided single jesse (I would use a stonger leather than for jesses as it has to take the full strain and is a single point of failure) that has an additional slit just below the button.

2. Briaded dacron is brilliant as it is very strong and pluck resistent. It lasts and lasts and lasts. When it gets dirty you chuck it in the washing machine. It holds a knot really tight. Jesses rotate freely in the anklet grommets and are stiff and so do not twist or tangle.

The only down side is the cost, but as far as I'm concerned it is money well spent on one of the critical elements of hawk husbandry. If only I wasn't so prone to dropping jesses in the field!
Old 31-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Andy
Haggard

I used a jess extender first time this season on a saker wow what a difference they are brilliant does anyone use em on a gos? I should really try it
Old 31-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camshi View Post
Don't suppose anyone knows of books or places that will assist in the teaching stage, picked up some Dacron but need to know where to start

And the wax method, what wax to use when braiding?
Grant, I may be able to help here - it's just a question of looking for the reference I no longer need and seem to have misplaced.

Tony
Old 31-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Mark - Official Site Sponsor
Passage

Mr pineo is not the guy who makes them . the man who is has his own site a little cheeper.
Old 31-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Of Penzance View Post
mr pineo is not the guy who makes them . the man who is has his own site a little cheeper.
You'll be telling me there's no Father Christmas next
Old 31-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
You'll be telling me there's no Father Christmas next

Adam