Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FORUM SPONSORSHIP & COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING > GAMEHAWK DESIGNS

Old 31-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Rob Howard
Passage

I'm hoping Carl will have some in stock at the fairs this summer. I've got the swivel, now just need this jess set to go with it
Old 31-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Haggard

Default Re: Pineo Braided Jess sets

It's the same as EVERYTHING in this world

One only gets what one pays for

Atb,Rab
Old 31-01-2013, 10:59 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHawks View Post
Yeah can see where your coming from! But don't you think with a lot of their stuff ya paying for the name! I'm useing rob Shirley's braid at moment and find that great to be honest! It's not about the money 45 quid for something what will last years isn't bad! What's that swivel like? Only ever used the d flat topped ones from Martin jones
Your not wrong about robs braided set up second to none
Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camshi View Post
Don't suppose anyone knows of books or places that will assist in the teaching stage, picked up some Dacron but need to know where to start

And the wax method, what wax to use when braiding?
Get on line and check out the "four strand round braid" technique. This will get you to the braiding of the jess/leash/extender stage. I braid with 4 pairs of Dacron strands, and, if you braid with half dyed and half "natural", you get the very pleasing spiral effect on the finished item. You need to work out how to braid in the swivel loop and the end "tag", but that's not too difficult to do once you get the braiding underway. The clue is in the braiding with 4 PAIRS of strands.
The wax I use is bees wax, I have tons of it. I reckon just candle wax would be fine 'cos the only real advantage I see with the wax is that it makes the strands "grip" as you braid 'em. As with fly tying, when you use the wax, you need to hold the strand against the wax with a thumb and pull the Dacron from under the thumb rapidly. This causes the wax to heat up and adhere to the Dacron easily. Simple!
Just to say Tony, I too think the braided button looks real cool and neat, but for me it's an added complication that's not too necessary in practical terms. I use a laminated leather button in my jess's and it looks/works real good. I have a set on a female Peregrine right now, and this falcon is hard on her furniture. Came to me with a set of leather jess's and they were beaten to **** where she worked 'em over all the time. Those jess's were in the bin on the same day!!
Just to check out the timing, I made a 1 metre leash, with swivel attached, after posting yesterday. Took me around 20 minutes !
Just to finish, Doug's not going skint 'cos I make my own equipment, and plenty of suppliers provide him with stuff. Stayed with one in Washington State, and he made lovely stuff.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Matt
Brancher

I'm very interested in this system. Should you need to use a knot to tie the bird shorter, is the leash suitable for this? Also, should you want to tie the bird to a cadge or screen, could you remove the extender and use the leash from this set?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty18714 View Post
I'm very interested in this system. Should you need to use a knot to tie the bird shorter, is the leash suitable for this? Also, should you want to tie the bird to a cadge or screen, could you remove the extender and use the leash from this set?
Hi Matt,

You can do both of those things if you need to, and in truth I wouldn't use it, as is, to tether a young hawk in the early days for two reasons. One, it's too long for a young hawk during her early experiences of being tethered, and two, there is too much potential for complications when taking up a hawk from block or perch, because of the process involved (being both slower, and requiring the hawk to be brought closer to the perch again during the process).
Much better in my opinion to use a traditionally tied leash, that can be shorter or longer according to need, until the hawk is steady enough to make this system more beneficial.

Best wishes,

Tony.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Matt
Brancher

Thanks Tony, very helpful.

Matt