Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > NON FALCONRY TOPICS > Stalking, Vermin & Pest Control

Old 24-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Passage

Default Re: My grandson

Have to agree with Rene on this one, also have to say that no child or grandchild of mine of similar age would be allowed anywhere near a firearm, but hey, each to their own. John
Old 24-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Juan De Marcken
Passage

I've tried fox....I had my ferets tried that as well, My chicken too
none didenjoy and I was the only one to swallow two little pieces.
interestingly , we have stone marder here and these are delicious to eat ,so think my ferrets and chicken as well.
if the spieces is not protected and if the birds are not wasted ,I don't find much difference between that bird and a starling .

if the peregrine has eaten it great ! otherways if you need any receipe I can give you plenty ...
concerning the shotgun , no problem with it the sooner he knows to be responsable and conscient of what it implies to use one the better .
it has for me a great pedagogical value.
to respect what you kill by having it eaten or let alive is a great one.
here we waist 20kg of food per year that we throw away that is just impressively immoral particularly when meat is concerned.
Besides the point you have a great looking grand son ,congratulations!
Old 24-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenÚ View Post
Where I live, we don't tea
ch our children to use songbirds for target practice.
Sorry but what am I missing here. I am fortunate to live on a large farm in a country that allows hunting and the bird in question is a Southern Masked Weaver. A common seed eating bird. Most of us have handled guns from a very early age. He shoots under supervision. If it's your way of doing things I respect it but consider that we are not all brought up the same. Hunting in general is a big practice here.
Old 24-10-2014, 11:18 AM
Allen Elliot
Brancher

Here in the uk we have a what i would consider as a serious decline of day to day birds and bought on by woefull neglect by us all. hedgerows being removed
The use of insectasides , quality land used for new homes and weather patterns changing constantly to name but a few. some of us see the wanten killing of songbirds as dispicable and needless of which i whole heartidly agree but i am in the uk and not a country where certain species of birds flourish and to a point of being classed as vermin. it all boils down to a certain level of respect, when in rome .

forgot to mention rubbish, www.midwayfilm.com

Last edited by Busa; 24-10-2014 at 11:26 AM. Reason: add
Old 24-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Angie Rooney
Passage

Have to agree with Rene 100% on this one, cant see why you would shoot songbirds?? myself personally I would not even use a bop to hunt songbirds of any kind.
Old 24-10-2014, 01:59 PM
Mick McLaughlin
Brancher

Its tragic what's happened to are song birds but it would be as tragic if we lost the right to hunt legally Lark and Pipit with Merlin or Blackbirds with Sparrow hawks although most people I know prefer to hunt Magpies with Spars.The BTO have stated in the past that the number of birds taken by Falconers under the Quarry license has no effect on the population of birds.
Old 24-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Brancher

As we speak I'm sittting on my porch with my airgun waiting to shoot two or three finches or sparrows. I don't feed DOC or quail. I feed dove or wild pigeon that I shoot and freeze. Sparrows that I feed is fresh. I don't see any harm in that. I was seven when I shot my first buck. It's just our way of living.
Old 24-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Mick McLaughlin
Brancher

When I was young over 40 years ago I never used domestic Raptor food like chicks I shot and trapped common birds like House sparrow and Starling now you never see House Sparrows in the Uk we now have little choice but to use chicks Quail Rats and Mice.
Old 24-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Angie Rooney
Passage

The trouble being Mick is that not everyone obtains a licence to hunt skylarks ect, we have skylarks in our fields and have caught falconers hunting them, on asking if they had a licence the answer was always NO, I reported one of them immediately, as I am very passionate about our larks, we have a very healthy population and that is how we like to keep it. Our Merlin and Perlins are lure bound and have never bothered with them.
Old 24-10-2014, 04:19 PM
John
Passage

Oh dear I have just killed a 2 week old cockerel good fresh meat for the hawk never red so much rubbish , Q how many Black Birds are killed with Spars ? good luck mate