Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > NON FALCONRY TOPICS > Stalking, Vermin & Pest Control

Old 24-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Haggard

Default Re: My grandson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShadow View Post
Oh dear I have just killed a 2 week old cockerel good fresh meat for the hawk never red so much rubbish , Q how many Black Birds are killed with Spars ? good luck mate
The thread isn't about falconry.
It isn't about killing blackbirds with Spars.
It isn't about you killing a 2 week old cockerel.

Apart from your own post...which other post do you consider to be rubbish?
Old 24-10-2014, 05:35 PM
John
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenÚ View Post
The thread isn't about falconry.
It isn't about killing blackbirds with Spars.
It isn't about you killing a 2 week old cockerel.

Apart from your own post...which other post do you consider to be rubbish?
Most of yours to be honest
Old 24-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShadow View Post
Most of yours to be honest
Okay.

Apart from the response I've just made to your bombastic post, I made two posts.
These:
Quote:
What was the reason for shooting the bird in the first photo?
Is it considered to be vermin?...I can't see what species it is.
Quote:
Where I live, we don't teach our children to use songbirds for target practice.
Please give precise details of what you consider to be 'rubbish' about those two posts.
Old 24-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Brancher

Thanks for some guys positive response. Again I live on a 2000ha gamefarm with 14 species of game. I don't need a lecture in conservation. You and you know who you are are entitled to your opinion and I will respect it. It's not my fault there are no more birds allowed to be shot,caught or by whatever means you get it. Rene I don't even know what a songbird is. I know by what I was taught as a kid what may be killed and not. I am not here to pick a fight. Oh and by the way my youngest daughter shot my 9mm pistol and 12 gauge when she was 4. So did my grandsons. I know my way around guns. As it should be. Safety first and know what you are hunting and for what reason. If this thread offends anyone I would like it closed. To each his own.
Old 24-10-2014, 07:05 PM
Haggard

Well, all conflicting opinions aside..I've now had reason to research the masked weaver bird and I thank you for that. Are they breeding right now?
Here's a lovely piece of footage of a weaver bird weaving a nest. If the hen bird doesn't like it he'll have to start all over again until he weaves one she approves of. Amazing little birds.

Old 24-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Angie Rooney
Passage

unfortunately this is what gives hunting a bad name just kill anything big or small, and I would not allow a chid of this age a gun !!! no wonder we have such a problem in this world we live in !!!
And we are suppose to be the superior race ??
Old 24-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Allen Elliot
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBerry View Post
unfortunately this is what gives hunting a bad name just kill anything big or small, and I would not allow a chid of this age a gun !!! no wonder we have such a problem in this world we live in !!!
And we are suppose to be the superior race ??

Laughable..😂
Old 24-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

A Merlin and a Perlin that don't hunt....what a travesty

Only joshing you Angie, you're nice, but each to their own.

We live in a funny old world where things that are acceptable to one person or in one place may be abhorrent to another person in another place, or even just dependant on their mindset or version of what's right or wrong.

Somehow, we have to try to be accepting, or at least reserve judgement until we've 'walked in their shoes'.

Jeez, over here in Western Australia, we are not allowed to recreationally hunt with raptors by some archaic law (a perfectly natural thing to do as far as I'm concerned but abhorrent to some people, so we're told), and yet the State Premier happily allows himself to be filmed for a news item brandishing a fishing hook as big as your arm in sanctioning virtually indiscriminate killing of sharks (as a first option) that happen to temporarily venture into our waters...which I personally find much worse than abhorrent but I'm one of 'the people of WA' who want and supports these barbaric and senseless acts, apparently. Go figure

Oh, I have to admit, the first thing I ever shot with an air rifle as a child was a blue tit.....I fed it to my Kestrel, so shoot me
Old 25-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Brancher

Think this post is a tricky one - people have a lot of different oppinions about killing things and the age at which people should have any kind of weapon. It was always going to upset people just as much as people would say 'well done that lad'

I only started shooting rifles and shot guns a couple of years back, I was never allowed any form of gun; even BB. However I was doing archery with my 300fps compound now which I bought on my 14th birthday - certainly made me aware if the dangers involved with a weapon.

Also some children's behaviour is very different, I see some kids with an air rifle and just think to myself 'what were the parents thinking?!' But then see some younger children shooting clays down at the club and they're performing well and listening to the instructors exact words! - so I am very torn between the two arguments.

I am against hunting unless the quarry will be put to good use! For example food for the human, ferrit or hawk. The girlfriends grandparents often pester me to shoot the crows out of their wood, but I have no use for them so refuse - tell them to wait till I get my Harris Hawk!

Hope this doesn't cause anymore upset - just putting my views across where both sides of the argument can relate!

ATB
Josh
Old 25-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
Somehow, we have to try to be accepting, or at least reserve judgement until we've 'walked in their shoes'.
In what shoes does a person need to walk to accept indiscriminate killing? Not all those who hunt are actually wearing the same shoes, despite the fact that these sort of discussions usually culminate in the assertion that those who 'accept' are wearing infinitely better shoes altogether. The other day I was driving past a group of shooters with a friend who was pretty much born on a horse and has ridden with the hunt all her life. It wasn't a particularly large field and the shooters stood in a semi circle, with their dogs, and shot the birds as they lifted from the undergrowth. 'What the frick is that about?' she said. Doubtless they paid good money to be members of a syndicate that entitled them to stand in a field alongside a busy road and shoot directly in the public eye, with escaping birds flying in front of traffic to reach the fields on the other side.
Everything matters, or at least it should. And if a person asks 'Why?' then one needs to have an answer, no matter who asks the question because there has to be a reason for killing what you kill beyond the fact that you have the skill to hit it.
I'm not personally focused on the issue of kids with guns. Farmers lads can shoot from a young age here and if I lived on a remote farm in South Africa then I'd want my kids to have that skill, ability and respect from a young age too. But shooting involves a deliberate and considered choice of target and, in this instance, that's what I'm disputing. So a weaver bird is just a little life, though larger then your blue tit. But no child of mine would be allowed to shoot either of them because there's no justifiable reason for it.