Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > NON FALCONRY TOPICS > Stalking, Vermin & Pest Control

Old 20-11-2014, 11:04 PM
David
Passage

Default Re: Rats!

Sounds like fun good luck on your rat hunt they love peanut butter. It amazes me how brazen and big they get have had them cross the pavement in front of me in my old town.

My friends old landlord is a farmer he keeps dogs in his yard the german shepard is a softie so is the collie his jack russel has mental problems he rescued it off a neighbour. He kills rats for fun he is lethal throws them up in the air and breaks their neck or just shakes them to death he's very good at it.

Atb
Old 21-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Dave Shearman
Brancher

The horsey people next to my permission have ducks/hens/geese and rats in large numers they go hand in hand.they are using pioson and its reducing the numbers of the rats . but ive picked up 3 dead buzzards on my permission and dead carcasses of rats which of had to take home with me . my jack russell ive caught her with 2 large rats in her mouth which took a while to prise away from her .also a young small rat which she was trying to swallow .poison and the use of it is a good route to go if you know what your doing
Old 21-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Matthew
Passage

I don't really want to risk poisoning any wildlife that isn't my target so I am gunna try with the fenn traps first by the tunnel against the wall. Plus trapping is more fun than poisoning
Old 21-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Matthew
Passage

Just spoke to the guy who runs the local fieldsports shop and he said that a rat got into 1 of his avierys and killed 12 finches in 1 night. He set a fenn and caught it
Old 21-11-2014, 10:53 AM
Arthur
Passage

Thumbs up Re: Rats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Bird View Post
Your right there, they are as tough as old boots. I remember we used to go ratting with the air guns at crank caves, I had a cracking little ferret killed by the ******s. I am getting a fenn trap tomorrow, I've caught them before with a piece of sliced ham/ chicken on the metal trigger plate.
Do as Minkenry does use a Mink ...
Old 21-11-2014, 11:12 AM
David
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Bird View Post
I don't really want to risk poisoning any wildlife that isn't my target so I am gunna try with the fenn traps first by the tunnel against the wall. Plus trapping is more fun than poisoning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post
Do as Minkenry does use a Mink ...
An old faithful method employed by me and my farmers son mate from school was the "Rat Splatter" angle iron flattened down one side and a handle fashioned. We would quietly make our way into the feed shed one would wait by the door with old faithful while the other would lift hay bails we killed quite a few using this method well he did. I'm sure I hit some but they just kept running.

I went to a wedding in the old cowshed few years ago it had been converted to a venue site for weddings birthdays etc. I remember telling the girlfriend i used to kill rats in here.
Old 21-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Allen Elliot
Brancher

i get the little ****es in my chicken pen, they roll out the eggs
night vision on me gun , watch those eyes light up and pop
we have got one of those gigantic rats on the farm, size of a cat and no bull
But is very illusive.
Old 21-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Sean Donnelly
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa View Post
i get the little ****es in my chicken pen, they roll out the eggs
night vision on me gun , watch those eyes light up and pop
we have got one of those gigantic rats on the farm, size of a cat and no bull
but is very illusive.
We had one of the big uns around my chicken pens in my last house, I got him but it took weeks of baiting before I got the shot.
The old fella next door described it as a King rat
Old 21-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Johnny Brine
Passage

When they cut the fields behind my house this year, I have never seen so many Rats in my life. They were everywhere, for weeks people were actually treading on them whilst out walking, the dogs loved it. My old GWP was walking along & suddenly stopped still, pounced & caught a baby Rat, she kept picking it up & dropping it until it stopped Squeaking. I have 2 dogs a GWP & a Jack Russell, they started working together to kill them, the GWP would point the cut Corn & the Jack Russell stood waiting, he would shake them & throw them up in the air.
Old 21-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Haggard

I bought my house, as a renovation project from an auld farmer. The place was full of rat runs and although the sheep dogs stayed in the barns he kept a Jack Russel in the house, that lived under the stairs and shot out when a rat passed. There were rat holes at the bottom edge of every door, in the floor boards, in the skirting boards and you could see the routes they took from the location of the holes. It's a big house and there was evidence of rats in every single part of it..although it had been empty for two years before I bought it and the rats had moved elsewhere. They'd chewed through electric cables and the first job was to rewire the place; the sparky lifted some of the floorboards to access wires and they were scorched underneath. Damn lucky the place hadn't burnt down, courtesy of the rats.
Can't imagine what the hell it was like to live like that but if you get them in the house they aren't keen to leave again. I worked in a 15c manor house years back, very rurally positioned, and we always had a rat problem after prolonged heavy rains. There's nothing quite like a rat running past you when you're walking up a corridor in the evening, like it has just as much right to be there as you do.
If I had rats in my house now, or tunneling alongside with the intention of coming in, I'd be hysterical. Throw everything you've got at them, including pest control. That's what I'd do anyhow because the way you feel about the rat in your garden is nothing compared with the way you feel about the one sitting on your kitchen worktop .