Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > NON FALCONRY TOPICS > Non Falconry, Hobbies, Congratulations & Artwork

Old 30-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Paul
Passage

Default Re: Raptor culling in the UK - Shooting Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutHawkn View Post
So why not use this to your advantage. Agree with them that it is time to start culling raptors and the BEST way to do that is to allow you guys to take wild raptors for falconry..............
I can't see that happening anytime soon.....
Old 30-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Brancher

I get it we can cull the raptors, but we can't shoot the pigeons that **** all over our Towns and cities cos there would be uproar.What will they think of next.If the habitats of nesting birds were not wiped out so much and thousands of miles re-planted I am sure nature would look after its self.
Old 30-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Paul
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
Might be a good idea. The problem is that in the Uk all our Goshawks where wiped out in the 1800's then they made a bit of a come back and they where wiped out again by pesticide use. The amount of game birds they take is tiny.
Can't help thinking thats a bit niave, i should think goshawks could take more than a 'tiny amount of game' in some areas.
Old 30-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Egg

Of all the wild birds and mammals killed throughout the year BOP kill 0.02% CATS kill 79.4%.... quoting from nick foxs book.. i suggest we start a cull on cats????
Old 30-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Brancher

There are perigrines nesting an living in most towns now so there plenty food for them they decide live were there good food supply an that means pigeons that **** everywere lol an wood pigeons that r eating every field bare . so i would say there a shortage of birds of prey not kill what ones we have . this goverment got a thing about killing things i think .
Old 30-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Ash Lawson
Passage

How about......We stop trying to play bloody God and stop feeling the need to interfere with everything. For millions of years before we came along species interacted and survived in a balance, which shifted one side to the other over the course of anything from a few weeks to a few hundred years but was still in balance nonetheless. It's called ecosystems people, the sooner we realise that things will do fine without our help and leave life alone to do it's thing the better for all species.
Old 30-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CotswoldRedtail View Post
How about......We stop trying to play bloody God and stop feeling the need to interfere with everything. For millions of years before we came along species interacted and survived in a balance, which shifted one side to the other over the course of anything from a few weeks to a few hundred years but was still in balance nonetheless. It's called ecosystems people, the sooner we realise that things will do fine without our help and leave life alone to do it's thing the better for all species.
here here
Old 30-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Chick

I agree with the ecosystem theory nd back that up, BUT we bring in the cat as a domesticated species and it unbalnces all ecosystems that it gets near. My neighbours cat destroyed every bird family along the hedgerow behind my house when we moved in our back garden was always full of birds. I don't know much about them but we had a pair of kestrels living there aswell and all the birds still thrived. The neighbour moved in and now its hard to know what a bird looks like anymore. Even the kestrels have moved on(I hope moved on).

So is it the BOP or is it the cats and will it ever balance itself out....I don't think so because you have added a predator, the cat, that is nigh on immune to diseases(owners taking it to the vets every 5 minutes) and that has freedom to hunt with NO predator to keep it in check, food supplies don't matter to it as it is fed by its owner and so therefre the population cannot dwindle as it would naturally through lack of prey.
Old 30-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Keith Mills
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickSmith View Post
I suggest a gamekeeper cull. Lets see how they like it for a change.....
I suggest an R S P B cull? get them out of the equasion and keepers and falconers could maybe work something out between themselves like they used to?
Old 30-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Keith Mills
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CotswoldRedtail View Post
Reasonable point m8! but? rearing none indigeonous pheasants by the thousand in a reletavly small area is a magnet to some predetors like goshawks, so what do people expect? of course the local gosses will have a field day feasting on them, taking more than they need and causing consternation to the keeper, i would be ****ed off. but as the law stands????