Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Lost, Found, Sighted or Stolen Birds of Prey?

Old 11-04-2017, 09:51 PM
Egg

Default Stolen Harris Hawks

Just making members in Wakefield aware that someone's going round steeling Harris Hawks possibly to order. I have had two stolen on separate occasions from locked aviaries over past six months. Police say enquiries are leading them to south east of district. Any info would be welcome.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:39 PM
Egg

Default Re: Stolen Harris Hawks

Sorry to hear that mate, I know how you must be feeling! I got a redtail stolen a few years ago while She was weathering out on her stainless steel portable bow perching the garden, they took the whole lot, (perch & hawk) there was a pere/saker also next to it but they only took the redtail. I think harris's and redtail's seem to be easier for these scumbags to sell as they can get away with just cutting any rings off and not too many questions get asked especially since most of these birds are sold to unwary novices. We ALL need to tighten up on our security, no matter how safe we think we are. Hope you get your birds back soon mate.
Jason
Old 12-04-2017, 02:17 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallheadboy View Post
Just making members in Wakefield aware that someone's going round steeling Harris Hawks possibly to order. I have had two stolen on separate occasions from locked aviaries over past six months. Police say enquiries are leading them to south east of district. Any info would be welcome.
I'm sure that other Falconers in the area will benefit from your info. Best of luck on getting your bird back and tracking down those responsible. Here's hoping the Police collar them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher1975 View Post
Sorry to hear that mate, I know how you must be feeling! I got a redtail stolen a few years ago while She was weathering out on her stainless steel portable bow perching the garden, they took the whole lot, (perch & hawk) there was a pere/saker also next to it but they only took the redtail. I think harris's and redtail's seem to be easier for these scumbags to sell as they can get away with just cutting any rings off and not too many questions get asked especially since most of these birds are sold to unwary novices. We ALL need to tighten up on our security, no matter how safe we think we are. Hope you get your birds back soon mate.
Jason
The topic seems to come up time and time again and its one of those annoying ones where there is little room to regulate beginners buying Raptors prior to seeking the right experience. A lot of what happens with Falconry in the U.K is down to the individual as oppose to regulation which always leaves room for some people to go about things the wrong way. What frustrates me even more is that people then start stealing birds because they know they can take advantage of beginners and the lack of regulation around purchasing a bird. I just feel sorry for the likes of the guy who lost his Harris above.

Kind Regards,

Bradley
Old 25-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Egg

Thanks for your support. Police have traced a vehicle to South Kirkby, just waiting for address! If anyone gets offered a bird from here please get in touch.