Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > RAPTOR BREEDERS & BREEDING > General Breeding & Conservation

Old 06-10-2017, 12:21 AM
Haggard

Default Re: Trapping a breeding pair of peregrine falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugezWolf View Post
Agreed Derek - if that had happened in my area I would be investigating a disturbance offence!

Gerry xx
IT IS THE STUPIDITY AND RECKLESSNESS THAT IS SO BAD. I wonder how they trapped the birds as it must have caused great distress? No wonder they did not show the trapping on TV. I wonder what legal avenue they used to trap wild falcons on the nest or near?

Double standards http://www.thecommentator.com/articl...QaBbAQ.twitter
Old 06-10-2017, 10:03 PM
Haggard

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE MAN?
Old 06-10-2017, 10:05 PM
Passage

Think he's drunk and now banned more than likely.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:08 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love My Dog View Post
Think he's drunk and now banned more than likely.
I see the thread about the Forum has gone as well. Sad when you drink and it takes over.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Passage

That went ages ago ..... nothing to do with Davey though.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:11 PM
Haggard

Quote:
That went ages ago ..... nothing to do with Davey though.
Bit lost off here.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:16 PM
Passage

Think Gerry is taking the insults off he's worked hard last couple of weeks.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:09 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Think Gerry is taking the insults off he's worked hard last couple of weeks.
RATHER HIM THAN ME, ALTHOUGH I THOUGHT IT WAS NOT TOOOOOOOOOO BAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyAndMonty View Post
The latest email from the BBC

Reference CAS-4503974-JPR30R

Thank you for your e-mail. I am sorry if you felt your original email, highlighting concerns about the Salisbury Cathedral peregrines, was not fully answered. I will try to answer your specific questions as best I can, based upon the information I have.

May I start by saying that the whole remit of Springwatch, since its inception, has been to respect and celebrate the natural world. The last thing anyone involved with the series would want, is for anything to harm the animals we feature. Our aim is always to educate and inform our audiences so that they may understand the importance of protecting and nurturing our environment.

In regard to the peregrines, both Springwatch and our wildlife partners acted within the law and under the appropriate licences issued by the relevant Government agencies. Further we have had the benefit of ongoing expert advice and input throughout our coverage. The capture, ringing and satellite tagging was undertaken by experts under the appropriate licences and in conjunction with RSPB and the BTO.

Both male and female adult peregrines, and later the chicks, were ringed as part of the BTO registered colour-ringing project, which monitors the survival rates of many bird species and collects information about their movements. The satellite tag, attached to the female bird will, in addition to providing a fascinating insight to the life of this individual, inform scientific understanding of her movements in the wider landscape, which can be used to inform ongoing and future conservation efforts.

You have asked about the timing of the capture of both adult birds. The time was agreed in consultation with our wildlife partners, who are experts in this area and was the optimum period recommended for capture. The activity took place after the complete clutch of 5 eggs had been laid and incubation had commenced. This is an agreed practice as it ensures the parent birds are already committed to their eggs. The capture was carried out during the third week of incubation and is a method that has been successful on other occasions.

In the natural world the failure of eggs can be a common occurrence for many different reasons. Unfortunately, we do not know the exact cause of the failure and cannot conclude that this was in fact due to a single factor or event as one egg did hatch successfully. As discussed on the programme, when it became apparent the others were not going to produce live chicks the decision was taken to remove them and test their viability. Those tests did show they had fully formed embryos inside.

The Springwatch team and our wildlife partners were saddened by the failure of the eggs to hatch, and while we have speculated on possible causes, such as the irregular laying pattern, issues with non-incubation or a bacterial infection, we have been told it is not possible to identify a definitive cause as to why the remaining eggs did not hatch.

The only silver lining was that, because the peregrines had only one chick, it allowed the RSPB to introduce an orphaned peregrine to the nest, something that could not have happened if there had been a bigger brood. Both the surrogate and the natural chick bonded and thrived under the care of two very attentive parents. Autumnwatch is hoping to feature these birds when it returns in October.

I hope we have been able to answer your questions and let me reassure you that we, and our partners, have, and will, continue to work with the interests of wildlife as paramount in all our projects.

Best regards,

Rosemary Edwards

Executive Producer, Springwatch

It's been quite a while now but I don't recall the the full clutch being laid before the tag was fitted, I thought the tag appeared on the female after the
1st egg was laid. ? it was then a further 10 days whilst the remaining eggs were laid.

Quite interesting to see the other eggs all had fully developed embryo's in them. Surprising though no tests could be completed to identify the cause of embryo death.........or is that another cop out?

For me more questions to ask but what is the point, no admission of blame would ever be made!!!
Can you supply the address or email address for the BBC EMPLOYEE dealing with the matter as I would like to know precisely the legal avenue used to trap the peregrine falcons?
Old 10-10-2017, 06:45 PM
David
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Canning View Post
RATHER HIM THAN ME, ALTHOUGH I THOUGHT IT WAS NOT TOOOOOOOOOO BAD.

Can you supply the address or email address for the BBC EMPLOYEE dealing with the matter as I would like to know precisely the legal avenue used to trap the peregrine falcons?
Derek the case number and Employee is in the reply above. All my contact was made through the BBC complaints website.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyAndMonty View Post
Derek the case number and Employee is in the reply above. All my contact was made through the BBC complaints website.
THANK YOU