Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 04-12-2017, 08:04 PM
Brancher

Default Re: Snipe Hawking 14/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakDaggerTiercel View Post
Hi Tony,

A great result over the young dog. Obviously i hope you get him back. It's a shame it's likely to be his preferred dining table the more he does it. Not sure what you can do. Thank god for gps at least.

Regards
Nick
Dewi back in the mews after his night out , could do with out these 5.30 starts .
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamishHawk View Post
Well done Tony, you could try dropping a well garnished lure next to the tiercel before he starts looking about, I found my male perlin was always greedy for chicks, he used to grab the lure with quarry still in his feet, thats how I over came his carrying.

Regards Steve.
Cheers Steve
Its a funny thing he's always come to the lure and flown up to the fist with it in his talons as i never garnish the lure. He's even flown up to the glove carrying the snipe or left the snipe on the ground. Last year he got robbed a few times by wild raptors and its made him very jumpy on the ground. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelHwkr View Post
Tony,

Yes I was flying a red tail but it was killed by the local fox! This season I am training my first longwing, a tiercel of course. One day I hope to make an addition to this thread but I am struggling at the moment without the right canine help! These snipe things are quite elusive I must admit.

Cheers Jon
Well done Jon glad to see you having a go, keep at it you'll get there. Tony
Old 09-12-2017, 05:59 PM
Brancher

It was crisp under foot in the fields this morning. Gwen wasn't on point but she was just standing there looking back at us, I miss read her body language and sent her on and out busted about half a dozen snipe. Could have kicked myself for not trusting her ,she ran back to me later as if to say I did try and tell you.....

She soon came on point and Dewi started to mount at about 200ft he came over and wanted serving almost demanding it. A straight forward flush and a nice vertical took Dewi right in under the snipe to take his snipe from below but the snipe junked last second a he shot up past it empty handed. It then turned into a tail chase with Dewi showing a lot of persistence but eventually the snipe pulled away. We had a couple more near misses and were flying on speck more or less knowing there were likely to be more snipe in the field . With the tiercel over head and the dogs working the field Gelert bumped a snipe and the tiercel was on to him and hooked him from underneath lovely jubbly. He carried it to a post where he started plucking but wasn't really comfortable and flew into the only scots pine in the county. Never mind I thought training been going good with the extended pole and when he finishes his meal he'll step on to the quail and lower him down, happy days.......only problem is that the pole went to 30ft and he was 50ft up so it's another night out under the stars . Just when you think you've cracked it.
We're going to delay the celebrations in future until the bird is back on the cadge
Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171209_154858.jpg (98.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 09-12-2017, 06:51 PM
Brancher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8e12vDydlw
This was an earlier miss. Quality not too good my 1st go at youtube. Tony
Old 09-12-2017, 08:12 PM
Nick Curry
Passage

Hi Tony,

Well done in the snipe and thanks for filming some of it. Please more of that! Great rough pastures. A kind of a nice problem to have; your bird up a tree eating a snipe but I'm sure you'll get him back promptly. In a way it's almost semi hack kind of life. I'm sure with the cold night he'll burn through that snipe fat and be ready to go again. I have been out the last couple of days running the pup on snipe. She is winding them and running into bunches and getting very exciting. She is also running a nice pattern naturally that I forget I'm supposed to be trying to introduce the turn double pip.
Please keep up the filming. That was great.

Regards
Nick
Old 10-12-2017, 08:35 PM
Brancher

Well done with the dog Nick keep us posted.

I was greeted with 4/5 inches of snow this morning ,but that wasn't going to prevent me from travelling down the west to pick Dewi up. After a short track down from where he roosted he was spotted sitting in a tree, he reluctantly came into the lure after waiting on for a while hoping for some warm meat.

I used to think catching snipe was the challenge but lately it's been getting him back on the same day... Another day hunting missed today, the season is short enough as it is .
Looking long term if things don't improve, I seem to have 3 options.... 1 Keep him for duck etc. 2. only fly on the uplands . 3 sell him on and try a perlin. .
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171210_161529.jpg (76.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 10-12-2017, 08:38 PM
Passage

Glad you got him back ok.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:41 PM
Brancher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heqcAQLoOBk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBjplXSliI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBjplXSliI8

Couple of the young setter. Tony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxoMFou-R7U