Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > AUCTIONS, BIRDMART, EXCHANGE & CLASSIFIEDS SECTION (Upgraded Accounts Only) > Employment Offered & Wanted

Old 09-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Chick

Default Career in Falconry??

Hello,
L8ly I have been seriously considering a career in Falconry but am unsure!Both my parents say tht there is no money in it and dnt regaurd it as a career so they dnt wnt me to persue it. I want to wrk in Wildlife and the Environment and had in mind a job on a nature reserve type thing perhaps as a warden or conservation officer??but arfter looking into it i have learnt that its a difficult area to get into as there are more applicants than there are postions avaliable plus every1 seems to need degrees nowdays!!...So anyways now im looking into a career in FALCONRY!

Has any1 any advice.....anything atal eg..routes into a job....types of wrk ??...ANYTHING!!!!!!!

I no Iv waffled on a bit soooooo rl shut uppp haha

Thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 PM
NEFC Club Rep
Brancher

Default Re: Career in Falconry??

Dont do it. Listen to your parents, find a well paid job.... Then when you have time and game consider taking up a hawk. Volunteer at a good centre and learn that way as you go.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Chick

Thanks for your comment...iv done a course and stuff and am looking for a mentor perhaps?? I just think maybe in the furture I could be a display falconry sumwhere???

Maybe ur right they du talk sense most of the tym haha !!!

Thanks agen
Old 09-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Dave
Haggard

Too many go into a career as a display falconer without the many years of training it needs. You need a proper grounding in REAL falconry first. You need to be able to answer every question propperly, your standards need to be of the highest order. I am afraid the standard of displays in this country is appaling in many cases. Dont add to it. Get a proper job first and learn and enjoy your hawking, when you really know what you are doing, consider it again.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Chick

Thanks ,,

I was never thinking of like my first job or neything like tht I was only thinking of a time in the distant future when I have lots of expirence in Falconry.

dnt worry i wudnt be dumb enough to apply rite now !!lol
Old 09-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Chick

Thanks agen it was helpful!!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Dave
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris91 View Post
Thanks ,,

I was never thinking of like my first job or neything like tht I was only thinking of a time in the distant future when I have lots of expirence in Falconry.

dnt worry i wudnt be dumb enough to apply rite now !!lol
Lol, sorry, didnt mean to jump on you!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Chick

I no exactly wot u mean ...it was a helpful comment !
Old 10-02-2009, 12:38 AM
Mike Clarke
Passage

You may want to consider other options.......I know one person who works with bop all day most day's of the week. He could fly any bird he wishs. He does not have his own bird or hunt anymore. Says he would rather do something else when he gets home from work. Not saying i agree with his take on it but it is some thing to think about.

You are obviously young yet, I say go with a degree...law or medicine. This way you have both the time and money to fly when, what, where and for as long as you like, to a very high standard with no expense spared. Better to have the time and money to do it right them always be short of either time or money, as you most certainly be if you do not choose your career wisely.

Of course there are the fortunate, hard working few, who get both....time and money and a career in falconry...............

Just my take on it.

Mike
Old 11-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Brancher

To Make money in falconry you need a good base first a hand full of cash, plenty of land and good contacts in places such as dabi and country's like that.... who will pay good money for their birds (20 grand plus...)