Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > Manning, Training & Fitness

Old 03-04-2018, 01:33 PM
Brancher

Default Re: Help needed with a problem Goshawk

[quote=Oconneo3;2162182]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post

Weíre expecting him to begin moulting very soon. Iím not the head of the club so I canít say with 100% certainty what the plans are for him but I think we will let him moult then hunt him in Sep/Nov and then, assuming heís in peak condition, release him. Otherwise weíll let him moult, raise condition and then release without hunting.
My problem with the latter is that we donít know his history other than what Iíve mentioned above so we have no idea at what stage he was trapped or whether he can hunt or not.
Is the hawk in juvenile plumage?
He may need to go into a seclusion aviary to get a decent moult.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:27 AM
Brancher

I have trained a few wild goshawks and I would never do it again as captive bred hawks are much more easier to train. But this is not the point.

Good point DavidS - how old is the hawk?

Moulting in wild trapped goshawks is always very problematic. The stress does not allow a clean moult and it will takť much longer. Especially in very nervous hakws...and the one you are describing looks like one.

Dont release him in Nov/Dec, even if he is in top condition. Thats the time of year when there is the least number of prey around and he will most likely seek pigeons and poultry in gardens. If you manage to train him, keep flying him until march and release. At that time, the migrants are back - thrushes, starlings,etc and he will get better chance to survive.

Hooding might help - make sure you have perfectly fitting hood and youe hooding skills are good otherwise he will soon learn how to reject the hood.

Problem with other people around could be reduced by placing the hawk on high perch (chest height - without him reaching ground) and place it in the very busy place, not in the corner , right in the middle. It will be very stressful for the hawk so keep in mind that (disease, condition, etc.)

From those wild trapped hawk that I have trained I have learned one thing....those that are not OK within two weeks are never to be properly trained and the stress factor pushes the falconer to fly them in such a low condition which is vers dangerous.

To be honest, if the hawk does not make any progress within three-four weeks, place him in a big aviary, give him live prey every day (pigeons) and release him in spring. He will be fine.

Once my friend lost a young male right at the beginning of the training. This hawk had never caught any prey and we thought it would not survive. Two years later he was called to a dead hawk which was hit by train and it was his male that he lost. They are capable of surviving (if the feather is perfect).

T
Old 04-04-2018, 08:19 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUsHilarius View Post
This is the method I would use as well. It is exactly what Jack Mavrogordato describes in 'A Hawk for the Bush'. Do you have this book OdhrŠn?
I donít, would you recommend it? Iíve just finished Philip Glasierís book, it was a bit dated but still a fantastic source of information.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:52 PM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oconneo3 View Post
I donít, would you recommend it? Iíve just finished Philip Glasierís book, it was a bit dated but still a fantastic source of information.
Yes, I'd certainly recommend A Hawk for the Bush.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Egg

2 techniques I would try with that goshawk, besides using the hood to lower stress on the bird.

1) Get the bird very wet before exposure to other people to limit the bating

2) After the bird is willing to fly to fist or lure on or off of creance line, ask another person to help fly it back and forth to/from each other.