Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Yorkshire

Old 11-01-2016, 11:27 PM
Unconfirmed Member
Egg

Default Advise on stubborn Eagle owl

Hi I'm new to the forum and wonder if anyone can offer some advice with training and with my Eagle owl.
I've always had an interest in falconry and Owls from a young age and always said when time was right its something I wanted to do, so last year after a life as a bass guitarist I got Involved with a local falconry club and got some advice on what I wanted and we got Holly at four weeks old. The training and manning was ok and soon she was jumping around destroying everything in sight jump to the fist as soon as she could manage it.
All in all things went ok now she's nine months old and 4 lb 11 but stubborn the problem is she'll fly all day for food in the garden but take her anywhere ells and she just sits still refusing to move , as you can appreciate this is so frustrating as I can be wayving food around in a field like someone demented shouting at this bird thats just interested in the local wildlife than me or food, then afer an hour of nothing when ive had enough shell fly to the glove .
Old 12-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Egg

Default Re: Advise on stubborn Eagle owl

Hello , let's see if I can be of any help - despite the the major disadvantage of being unable to see things in person . If I was on the scene I would assess the bird's attitude and behaviour but also physically feel to confirm or otherwise that she may be (for management purposes ) overweight . So , as a hasty but incorrect assumption in this direction could be dangerous to the bird's health , let's see if we can investigate it . Throughout the time you've had her , what has her weight been ? How frequently have you recorded her weight ? Have you aimed to weigh her empty ? Owls are psychologically , quite different to Hawks and one variation is the degree to which they tend to be distracted by an unfamiliar flying ground . This can be overcome by training - especially including taking them to plenty of different places , alongside good recall work - and can with enough time and informed care result in an owl being as portable as a hawk . So start with a bit more info about her experience and weight history to date .
David .
Old 12-01-2016, 11:51 AM
Egg

Hi - I too have a female eagle owl called Fudge- hatched 7 May last year. She is heavier around 6llbs. She flies for me in my garden but is more nervous if I take her to the owl sanctuary near me. She flies in her own time pretty much and definitely likes to assess her surroundings even in the garden she will look around and get comfortable. It sounds to me like Holly is doing just that assessing a new place. I am no expert and am learning all the time but Maybe just try one new place and peg her out there for a bit so she gets used to the sights and familiarises herself with the surroundings. I creance Fudge at home but fly her free at the sanctuary. She will fly the length of the field initially but then prefers short flights there as lots of new noises and distractions. There are also lots of large perches there where she can fly to which cater for her wing span. Fudge also likes to fly to the ground and is happy on the ground - when nervous she tends to do this. Hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:15 PM
Haggard

Didn't I answer this the other day? Familiarisation and a bit of weight off, simple
Old 12-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Clive Stancer
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
Didn't I answer this the other day? Familiarisation and a bit of weight off, simple
Deja Vu
Old 12-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
Yes we did !

Obviously didn't like the advice received !

ATB
John155
Old 15-01-2016, 10:58 PM
Egg

Hi people and sorry for not getting back sooner and thank you all the replys But i had a problem with verifying my account. Unfortunately it took me three atemps to get on the forum and I posted the same thing three times , so I'm sorry for any confusion.
I think I've the problem sorted now with Holly thanks to some good advice from some good people that took time to answer me .
Like a few of you have said it's a combination of new flying ground and surrounfings with being slightly over waight as well .
But thanks again regards Ellis ..