Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > EQUIPMENT & HOUSING > Telemetry & other Tracking Equipment

Old 18-10-2016, 09:08 AM
Brancher

Default Recovered !

Thank the maker for telemetry and that I know how to use it properly !

Yesterday whilst flying Kylo the Gyr/Saker we had an issue with around 100 crows which lifted from a nearby field and then proceeded to mob him !
They pushed him off my permission and over and beyond the landfill hill.
I tried in vain to call him back with lure and whistle, I could actually see him trying to turn back to me but the crows had him well covered and were pushing straight on !

Phoned the wife ...Said I may be a while and if she hasn't heard from me within hour and half contact IBR with ring number and tag frequency !

After abit of fence climbing I got to the highest point and had a booming signal.
Swung lure and called abit...No joy !

Back down to farm in truck and off up the lanes.
Stopped a couple of times to get signal and try triangulate.
I worried for a min when I lost all signal and then got abit of signal bounce.

Some of these lanes are real difficult to pull over in so I have the telemetry receiver open and running on the passenger seat facing forward, Suddenly as driving along the signal is on max as if I was testing the tag next to receiver.
I cant safely pull over for good 1/4 mile or more and when I do sure enough the signal is behind !
I turned around and headed back after turning gain down abit , As I drove suddenly there it was again so I pulled over as safely as I could with causing obstruction.
I walked into the field swung the lure once and who should appear,
Dived in and grabbed lure as normal, fed from it then churped and stepped up to me looking slightly bedraggled with a slight scratch bleeding on his cere !

About 4 miles from where I last saw him , Although abit more driven in the truck !

He appears no worse off from the ordeal apart from the nick on his cere and I had abit of practice tracking a falcon which is certainly harder than the Harris !

So much for fly the falcon quick then go for a stomp in the woods with the Harris !

Izzy my FHH was going to be flown after Kylo so she spent most of yesterday afternoon travelling country lanes in her box and then briefly flown at home.....
That annoyed me ( and her no doubt ) as would have been only her 3rd day flying free after moult.....
Anyway Kylo is grounded for the day and Izzy and I are going to try chase something ! (hopefully not a squirrel ! ) LOL

ATB
John155
Old 18-10-2016, 09:55 AM
Passage

Default Re: Recovered !

Glad you got him back in one piece.
Old 18-10-2016, 10:58 AM
Shane
Brancher

Glad the falcon was recovered!
Old 18-10-2016, 11:38 AM
Passage

Nice one, hope the idiots that don't use Telem read this. Atb. John
Old 18-10-2016, 04:03 PM
Haggard

glad hes back, but an hour and a half ? id spend almost as long with a bird in the air on occasions once they are fit ,certainly with my crow falcon ,if i did that when that situation arose id be on the phone once a week ,falcons will tend to head back to where they were cast off usually within a short while unless i've seen a bird stoop on something i would have a fag and coffee
if i have to drive randomly id stick the omni on
id be wary of posting your frequency so quickly there's many a falcon been brought down never to be seen again ,i've no doubt barbara would advise you of this

A friends tiercel went walkabout for over an hour yesterday ,showed up a few hundred yards from where he was cast off ,we just watched the signal and what he was doing as he eventually stopped fannying about and came back over
Old 18-10-2016, 05:50 PM
Brancher

Thanks guys !

Should have put a timescale on thread !
He was gone about 3 hours in total !
He is a first year bird,not fully fit and in an area he knows less than some !
He sometimes wanders off ect but is generally back within 20-30min usually really high up .
It was after about 35min that I rung the wife , when I said ring IBR in hour and half I meant if she hadn't heard back from me either way !
It was about an hour after I lost him that I got the decent signal from the hilltop and another 15 min back to the truck
I didn't exactly drive randomly as I had signal direction and kept stopping to recheck !
I will be getting an Omni Ariel though !

Its my first longwing and I'm learning all the time......and loving it !

ATB
John155
Old 18-10-2016, 07:23 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John155 View Post
Thanks guys !

Should have put a timescale on thread !
He was gone about 3 hours in total !
He is a first year bird,not fully fit and in an area he knows less than some !
He sometimes wanders off ect but is generally back within 20-30min usually really high up .
It was after about 35min that I rung the wife , when I said ring IBR in hour and half I meant if she hadn't heard back from me either way !
It was about an hour after I lost him that I got the decent signal from the hilltop and another 15 min back to the truck
I didn't exactly drive randomly as I had signal direction and kept stopping to recheck !
I will be getting an Omni Ariel though !

Its my first longwing and I'm learning all the time......and loving it !

ATB
John155

lol
well he's back and that's all that matters ,longwings will soon teach you not to panic, just get used to that nervous feeling in the pit of your stomach
if you'd seen my peregrine going off to find her pitch yesterday which required binos to observe her coming over you might well wonder why id be smiling like a cheshire cat
The hardest part with tels other than the gps by marshal is deciding whether its worth walking instead of driving,if its a good signal on medium i walk its invariably faster than fannying about in the truck,if its any signal on near i light a fag up and stroll
Old 18-10-2016, 08:28 PM
Brancher

Cheers Shaun ,

I know that nervous feeling !

In a sort of sadistic way I kind of enjoyed the tracking ......
Sort of like a mini adventure for both of us !
Of coarse if he was still out now or the end wasn't so happy I wouldn't be saying that !

ATB
John155