Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 04-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Nick Curry
Passage

Default Re: A Longwings Dream Quarry

Nice shot Bat,

I used to do a lot of wildfowling, though I stopped when I shot a shoveler a couple of years ago.
If I shot a pintail now Id think Id puke!

Ive a very big pond that has regularly has pintail. Only problem is it usually has a big flock of teal and mallard with them.

One day we managed to split off 6 pintail and my friends female peregrine locked onto them.
They were committed to leave and we thought game on. They curled round right in front of us, so close you almost have touched them, just as the falcon sucked in behind them and brought one down.
We ran over and she had somehow grabbed a loose drake mallard that was lurking amongst them.

Nice but ****!,
Nick
Old 04-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Nick Curry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Brindley View Post
What sort of weight are pin-tails? What subspecies of peregrine will you be trying? Is a tiercel big enough to take these consistantly?

Thanks, Lee.
From the ones Ive handled when we used to do a bit of wildfowling, the drakes on average are between mallard and wigeon in weight, about 2 lbs give or take. A big drake will be mallard sized.
The average wigeon drake is about 1'11.
A small hen will be like a drake wigeon.

And a tiercel will nobble all of these consistently, and so will any other similarly sized falcon or bigger that is properly entered and managed on wildfowl.
A tiercel would be my first choice though.

Nick
Old 04-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakDaggerTiercel View Post
From the ones Ive handled when we used to do a bit of wildfowling, the drakes on average are between mallard and wigeon in weight, about 2 lbs give or take. A big drake will be mallard sized.
The average wigeon drake is about 1'11.
A small hen will be like a drake wigeon.

And a tiercel will nobble all of these consistently, and so will any other similarly sized falcon or bigger that is properly entered and managed on wildfowl.
A tiercel would be my first choice though.

Nick
Thanks Nick.
I have heard that a good tiercel will do ducks as well as anything, but to buy a tiercel purely for duck hawking is a bit of a gamble as some will never take to mallard etc. Is there much difference between peals, peregrinus etc on ducks?

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread a little.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batwing View Post
thanks sam but chris haz offered me a big tiercel he says theres a pair that breeds whopper tiercels . i waz going for a falcon but iff i can get a big tiercel ill take one o those

Hi Batty - two points........firstly, you will never get consistent size out of a pair of peregrines, only a range of sizes. For example - out of Bubble (23-25oz tiercel) and his falcon (31-33oz) have come falcons of 29oz up to 35oz and tiercels of 21oz up to 24oz. What you will get out of certain lines is a greater chance of a big tiercel. Secondly, I think big tiercels are over-rated - a tiercel is a tiercel and properly introduced to mallards or other large wildfowl will handle them with ease on the ground although a falcon will handle them better in the air!

Gerry x
Old 04-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Nick Curry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Brindley View Post
Thanks Nick.
I have heard that a good tiercel will do ducks as well as anything, but to buy a tiercel purely for duck hawking is a bit of a gamble as some will never take to mallard etc. Is there much difference between peals, peregrinus etc on ducks?

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread a little.
Lee,

Everyones circumstances are different. If you are flying pheasant regularly, or mallard mostly it would make sense to dial up the size a bit to a female of some sort.
I would choose a tiercel because I don't fly pheasants and I fly a range of ducks, lots of teal, wigeon, divers. All species that alot of the time the tiercel is perfect for. Plus all the tiercels Ive flown have loved mallard and get as deadly on them as the next falcon. It probably takes a bit more patience until they get to this point but its worth the wait.

Flying other quarries, particularly partridge, is the main reason in my view why alot of UK hawks turn off ducks, not because of the challenge of the ducks themselves if that makes sense.

Re. peales vs peregrines. I haven't seen enough of either to make a judgement but they are both peregrines so they are natural duckhawks.
If I had the choice of two on the cadge I would pick the peales because its something different (its boring running with the herd).
Plus the peales tiercel I flew briefly was a cold blooded killer and the three Ive seen fly were all high flyers.
That said my best tiercels were small peregrinus's....

Nick
Old 04-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Haggard

Thanks again Nick.
One day I will fly a peregrine (probably at ducks) but not for many years to come. Just very slowly sapping up some knowledge.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Sam Rice
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batwing View Post
and they have ah more streamlined body to sam
Do you mean the long neck and tail

ATB
Sam
Old 04-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Stevie kerr
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judd Casper View Post
Do you mean the long neck and tail

ATB
Sam
No sam the body between the neck and tail
Old 04-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Passage

I think tiercels are the bomb for ducks. It seems that it is much easier to get even small ducks to flush clean with a tiercel in the air compared to a falcon. My current first year tiercel anatum flies at 530 grams and has caught Mallard, redhead, scaup, ringbill, widgeon, gadwall greenwing teal, blue wing teal, bufflehead and goldeneye he has a high 90% kill ratio and is something around 100 head at this point(most all ducks). I try to catch a duck in the morning and another in the afternoon. This year the pintails were not around too much as they are only passing through for a week or so in the fall, i still need to get a flight on a pintail and a canvassback to fill in the blanks though neither one of these ducks are found here very much. Pintails are a favorite of mine but if you have any other duck on the pond you will most likely end up catching the other species--the pintails are just too wiley. That's what i know anyway.
Jim
Old 04-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Stevie kerr
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchero View Post
I think tiercels are the bomb for ducks. It seems that it is much easier to get even small ducks to flush clean with a tiercel in the air compared to a falcon. My current first year tiercel anatum flies at 530 grams and has caught Mallard, redhead, scaup, ringbill, widgeon, gadwall greenwing teal, blue wing teal, bufflehead and goldeneye he has a high 90% kill ratio and is something around 100 head at this point(most all ducks). I try to catch a duck in the morning and another in the afternoon. This year the pintails were not around too much as they are only passing through for a week or so in the fall, i still need to get a flight on a pintail and a canvassback to fill in the blanks though neither one of these ducks are found here very much. Pintails are a favorite of mine but if you have any other duck on the pond you will most likely end up catching the other species--the pintails are just too wiley. That's what i know anyway.
Jim
Jim usally thios pond holds only pintail cause they wood forse the other ducks off ive seen them do it