Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Falconry Questions that all beginners ask!

Old 30-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Banned
Egg

Default Noisy Harris hawk

Hi all, I know this has been asked a million times but just wanted some advice as my mentor canít help me solve this 1 😫 I have a parent reared FHH, doing every thing as she should, recall is 100%, chasing prey hard and fairly steady already. The only problem is that sheís very chatty!! Some days she squarks all day no matter what I do and other days she is fine and I hardly hear her, she has been entered for about a month now and has made 2 kills, her weight is kept between 2.2 and 2.3. If thereís anything Iíve missed or you need to know I will be happy to answer.

Thanks
Shane
Old 01-12-2017, 11:49 AM
Egg

Default Re: Noisy Harris hawk

I am the original poster Iíve just remembered the password to my old account, forgot to mention that she is silent in the field and mostly when I am handling/around her so wondered if it coldbeboredom? If so does anyone have any tips on how to keep her stimulated while Iím at work?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:31 PM
Doug Tricker
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane87 View Post
I am the original poster Iíve just remembered the password to my old account, forgot to mention that she is silent in the field and mostly when I am handling/around her so wondered if it coldbeboredom? If so does anyone have any tips on how to keep her stimulated while Iím at work?
Hi, i'm afraid there is nothing you can do at the moment, however, when it comes to moulting time in the spring you need to put her in a large enclosure with no windows and a netting roof, (skylight and seclusion) and leave her to moult until the end of September. Food should be through a shute so she cant see where the food comes from. If you can arrange this you may find her a lot quieter next season.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:42 PM
Passage

Hi Shane just out of curiosity at what age was she taken from the parents ? John
Old 01-12-2017, 07:31 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkies Not Talkies View Post
Hi, i'm afraid there is nothing you can do at the moment, however, when it comes to moulting time in the spring you need to put her in a large enclosure with no windows and a netting roof, (skylight and seclusion) and leave her to moult until the end of September. Food should be through a shute so she cant see where the food comes from. If you can arrange this you may find her a lot quieter next season.
Thanks for the reply, Iíll defenitly try that, I guessed itís would be bit of a waiting game so just have to keep my fingers crossed for next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Hi Shane just out of curiosity at what age was she taken from the parents ? John
Hi, she hatched in April sometime and I picked her up the 1st of August but I believe she was removed from her parents just a little bit before that as she was squabbling with her parents over the nest. She came from a reputable breeder so Iím sure they knew what they was doing and she was silent until a couple of months ago so Iím assuming itís somethings sheís learned herself?
Old 02-12-2017, 08:08 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane87 View Post
Hi Shane. Which account do you want to use?
I'll remove the other one.
Sue
Old 02-12-2017, 10:50 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue2 View Post
Hi Shane. Which account do you want to use?
I'll remove the other one.
Sue
Hi Sue, I will stick with this 1 please as itís already linked to my main email etc. Thank you
Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM
Egg

https://youtu.be/LgnFkhxqce0

This is exactly what she does, is it just because sheís a juvenile? Also does anyone know what this call means? Is she calling out to other hawks? Is she calling for food? Do I just have to wait it out or am I doing something wrong? Iím thinking of upping her weight a little bit and see if that helps.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM
Mark
Passage

It could be a multitude of things as even passage and haggard Harris' are prone to becoming vocal once acclimatised.
Are you keeping her at 2.2 to 2.3 even when you aren't flying her?
How and where are you feeding her when not flying?
Also going on your recent post she hasn't had enough kills to make her realise that she is able to feed herself.

You really want her to be killing every trip out if possible, so that she is in effect feeding herself. Then she would be looking upon you as a helper in relation to hunting and not a direct food source if that makes any sense.