Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Canada

Old 29-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Chick

Default Re: Canadian Falconry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaManada View Post
???
He takes the course in Quebec. Of course he wouldn't get a Quebec falconers permit - he's not a Quebec resident. He'll still need a mentor in Ontario but the course can be taken anywhere as long as it meets the requirements.

Justin
I'm not 100%....but I'm apperenticing with a guy who held a Quebec falconers license for a number of years ( he even has birds, which have to be kept in quebec untill he recieves his ontario license) and he has to take his 30 hours in ONT.
Old 29-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Yann Brahic
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodWinkle View Post
I'm not 100%....but I'm apperenticing with a guy who held a Quebec falconers license for a number of years ( he even has birds, which have to be kept in quebec untill he recieves his ontario license) and he has to take his 30 hours in ONT.
I'm curious... who ?
Old 29-11-2008, 01:01 AM
Chick

I"m not giving out names on internet as I don't think he a member on this site. But he does attend class once a month with me
Old 29-11-2008, 01:01 AM
Passage

...you need no permits to keep a non indiginous bird but the course is of gold to learn, experienced and start on a good base with raptors and falconry

Dan
Old 29-11-2008, 01:03 AM
Yann Brahic
Passage

Quote:
I"m not giving out names on internet as I don't think he a member on this site. But he does attend class once a month with me
I understand.
Old 29-11-2008, 01:17 AM
Justin Leyte リート ジャスティン - Official Site Sponsor
Passage

Quote:
That's a wierd system, then. Under that logic, after he finishes his course he should theoretically be an apprentice like you. If they will allow him to take on an apprentice, surely they regognize his experience, thus negating the need for him to take another course. Makes not one ounce of sense to me.

Justin
[COLOR="Red"]UPDATED New and used Tracker Classic / Marshall Scout telemetry systems starting at ú350. Worry-free 1 year warranty on used equipment. Buy from the most trusted name in used telemetry. Free worldwide EMS shipping. Please email me at [IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG] or view available systems here on the forum by clicking http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=127432
Old 29-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaManada View Post
That's a wierd system, then. Under that logic, after he finishes his course he should theoretically be an apprentice like you. If they will allow him to take on an apprentice, surely they regognize his experience, thus negating the need for him to take another course. Makes not one ounce of sense to me.

Justin
after his course he is/or recieves his General Falconers licence. the appreentice license only last the 15 month. Then you allowd 3 birds instead of just one. I think its all just paper work to be honest.
Old 29-11-2008, 01:32 AM
Yann Brahic
Passage

Quote:
after his course he is/or recieves his General Falconers licence. the appreentice license only last the 15 month. Then you allowd 3 birds instead of just one. I think its all just paper work to be honest.
ok... so then, once he gets the general falconer's licence, he'll be able to take you on officially as a mentor ?

Just trying to understand.
Old 29-11-2008, 02:00 AM
Faris AlFaris
Brancher

No Yann, he has to be a licensed falconer for 5 years before he could be a mentor! Can you believe that? Non sense eh?

When I first came to Canada I had to go through all of this even though I have been flying birds for 14 years when I arrived I went to Jim Wilson and asked him if he could sponsor me, but he started laughing and signed my papers

Faris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabadswompe View Post
ok... so then, once he gets the general falconer's licence, he'll be able to take you on officially as a mentor ?

Just trying to understand.
Old 29-11-2008, 05:28 AM
Mike Clarke
Passage

Ok here goes. Been down this road not too long ago. In Ontario you need a sponsor with a ONTARIO licence, stop. They must be licenced for 5 years . Your course from Quebec will not be recognized. Ontario will give you no credit or allowence in any way for your course in Quebec. Well we are this subject, I have been to Dan's Center and attended his course. It was money well spent and time even better spent. I found Dan too be down too earth, knowledgeable, and an excellent teacher of all things falconry. Dan will do you justice with out doubt. He does not stop teaching after the course ends and is more than willing to help long after the course is done. Highly recommended, go see him for sure. As for Ontario sponsor, contact the Ontario Hawking Club.

Hope this helps. You can always PM for more info and I will try to help you out.

Here is a link. Study these laws. It is very important that you understand what you are getting into. You should be able recite these regs in your sleep.
Good luck and stay in touch.

http://www.ontariohawkingclub.org/regsFalconry.html

Mike

Last edited by Hawking; 30-11-2008 at 03:34 AM.