Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Canada

Old 29-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Yann Brahic
Passage

Default Re: Canadian Falconry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabianFalconer View Post
No Yann, he has to be a licensed falconer for 5 years before he could be a mentor! Can you believe that? Non sense eh?

When I first came to Canada I had to go through all of this even though I have been flying birds for 14 years when I arrived I went to Jim Wilson and asked him if he could sponsor me, but he started laughing and signed my papers

Faris
5 years even for people who have falconry experience before hand and then move to ontario !!! Whoa. They don't even aknowledge prior possession permits, hawking licences?? This is lame.

Last edited by Rabadswompe; 29-11-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 29-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Passage

Strange statement there Faris...I know of falconers in RCMP'S and Canadian Army moving from one procince to another with their birds without going back to "apprentice state" ? is there two types of citizens in Canada ??? if you have a valid license in any country or province...DNR should issue you the equivalence

Dan
Old 29-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Passage

Apprentice in Ontario for two (calendar) years under a general or master falconer who has falconry license for at least 5 years.Sponsor has to sign your 30 hours in the field and inspect your equipment before you are granted general falconry license.If falconer from out of Ontario wants to bring his bird and hunt it has to go through some import papers and contact MNR in WMU where he wishes to hunt.MNR will honor his license from out of province or from abroad.If falconer moves to Ontario his previous license will be recognized.Contact OHC for more info or talk to MNR.
Old 29-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Apprentice in Ontario for two (calendar) years under a general or master falconer who has falconry license for at least 5 years.Sponsor has to sign your 30 hours in the field and inspect your equipment before you are granted general falconry license.If falconer from out of Ontario wants to bring his bird and hunt it has to go through some import papers and contact MNR in WMU where he wishes to hunt.MNR will honor his license from out of province or from abroad.If falconer moves to Ontario his previous license will be recognized.Contact OHC for more info or talk to MNR.
Now we're talking !
Old 29-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Passage

Still not sure why people come here first and not to their governing body to ask this kind of questions.Nobody here will give you OK anyway.
Old 30-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Faris AlFaris
Brancher

Well the government back home don't issue licences for falconry and when I arrived here, the MNR asked if I could prove that I had birds in the past but unfortunately I had nothing but pictures if I had a written prove I wouldn't need to be an apprentice!

Faris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabadswompe View Post
5 years even for people who have falconry experience before hand and then move to ontario !!! Whoa. They don't even aknowledge prior possession permits, hawking licences?? This is lame.
Old 30-11-2008, 12:45 AM
Yann Brahic
Passage

That's what I thought.

Some countries make permits and laws framing falconry and in others, traditions still are maintained (and nothing is needed).

Too bad you had to go through all that paperwork Faris but I think you're doing really good now

How is the unnamed goshawk doing ?
Old 30-11-2008, 03:36 AM
Mike Clarke
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post

Thanks Goran, I was wondering if they would honour a licence from abroad. Nothing in the regs that I could find on that.