Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Canada

Old 28-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Duane Skuce
Passage

Default Apprenticeship

I know I will get trashed for this, critisized, etc, but gonna do it anyways. I'm not in the UK plz remember that, I'm in Ontario Canada. Just setting the playing feild here.

When I decide to accept someone for an apprenticeship, I interview them over coffee for a couple of days, then decide if we will go further.

I require the person to bushbeat for me for a season, see what I do for overall maintance, this allows them to gain exp, with all aspects, of hunting/training birds in falconry , almost, and it also allows me to assess their commitment to a bird, and sport.

The next season, they must find there own hunting feilds in which combined they can flush a min of six bunnies per day. A day is an outing and varries per terrain.

The next season I bushbeat for them, this is where it all comes together, after this its breeding, trapping, etc.
Old 28-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Tom Bryce
Haggard

Default Re: Apprenticship

One of your better posts.

Tom
Old 28-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Adam Fry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCulaine View Post
I know I will get trashed for this, critisized, etc, but gonna do it anyways. I'm not in the UK plz remember that, I'm in Ontario Canada. Just setting the playing feild here.

When I decide to accept someone for an apprenticeship, I interview them over coffee for a couple of days, then decide if we will go further.

I require the person to bushbeat for me for a season, see what I do for overall maintance this allows them to gain exp, with all aspects, of falconry , almost, and it also allows me to assess their commitment to a bird, and sport.

The next season, they must find there own hunting feilds in which combined they can flush a min of six bunnies per day. A day is an outing and varries per terrain.

The next season I bushbeat for them, this is where it all comes together, after this its breeding, trapping, etc.
Sounds good to me I get a newbe to ferret for a season and see how we go from there
Old 28-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Duane Skuce
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB View Post
One of your better posts.

Tom
Thank you my Lord

Perhaps this is the time for people to post what they require of an apprentice under their care.

BTW Tom I crazey glued your toilet seat ! <chuckle>
Old 28-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Tom Bryce
Haggard

Your welcome my learned friend.

Tom
Old 28-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Duane Skuce
Passage

In my opinion a gamehawker ie falconer, who can not find or flush a minimal amout of game for their bird, should look harder, look at diff game or choose another hobby. My 2cents.
Old 28-09-2010, 09:46 PM
David Goodwin
Haggard

In the uk there would only be a few who would do things this way as most want things yesterday ?? so i bet a few after a few weeks would ring up and say guess what ive brought a bird ??
Old 28-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Duane Skuce
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
In the uk there would only be a few who would do things this way as most want things yesterday ?? so i bet a few after a few weeks would ring up and say guess what ive brought a bird ??
I'd say good luck, let me know how it turns out
Old 28-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Tom Bryce
Haggard

Dave has a point, but your method would be a good path to use.

By the way, I don't sit down to pesh and I hover for No2's so your glues wasted.

Tom

Last edited by TLDWB; 28-09-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 28-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Stewart Robertson
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCulaine View Post

I require the person to bushbeat for me for a season, see what I do for overall maintance, this allows them to gain exp, with all aspects, of hunting/training birds in falconry , almost, and it also allows me to assess their commitment to a bird, and sport.

Makes sense Duane. You must have some bladder, drinking all that coffee.