Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Pursuit Hawking

Old 04-12-2017, 06:41 PM
Chick

Default Rocrow

Love to hear from anyone using a rocrow for training. I'm somewhat interested to hear if it can help enter a bird on gulls. Haven't seen any threads on the topic. Is Rocow like Fight club and no one is talking about it?
Thanks,
Ryan S.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Default Re: Rocrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanSinTX View Post
Love to hear from anyone using a rocrow for training. I'm somewhat interested to hear if it can help enter a bird on gulls. Haven't seen any threads on the topic. Is Rocow like Fight club and no one is talking about it?
Thanks,
Ryan S.
Hi,

There are a few decent YouTube videos demonstrating the Rocrow in use. I think it's an interesting development for UK Falconry and the Robara, the UAE equivalent. I can see being able to control it allowing a larger range of conditioning to be possible. In terms of pursuit flying, keeping it at a low level, changing altitude and speed must only do a pursuit Falcons condition favours. I haven't experienced one being used in the flesh, watched many videos although wouldn't mind having a go on one in the future.

Regards,

Bradley
Old 04-12-2017, 11:19 PM
Chick

Yeah I have looked at all the videos myself, some amazing flying. Was hoping to hear some first hand experience pros/cons and the like.
Ryan S.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Brancher

Hi Ryan

I have been considering getting one to get the Gos into shape at the beginning of the season and days we can't go hunting.
I have seen a couple for sale that have been used once. So they may not be as good as one imagines. I suppose only trying the product will tell if it is suitable for your use.
But at over ú450 it could be an expensive toy.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:35 PM
Chick

Im sure it would be good for doing some sprints with the gos. Not as apt to crashing from 500ft up too. Think I would opt for the kit version and put my own esc and trans in it. That knocks the cost down some. Been messing around with a sonic 64 edf. However i do like the idea of having a falcon chasing something similar to the prey image I would like to enter them on vs. Chasing a pair of quail wings behind a traditional plane. Still hoping one of the gull/crow guys who has one will expand our conversation.
Cheers,
Ryan s.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Passage

I watched Nick foxes demonstration at the falconry fair at Newent, with a gyr/New Zealand falcon hybrid, Chasing the crow, and I have to say I was very impressed, a friend of mine bought one and learn to fly very quickly, but I believe you have to play with the app and learn how to fly that first, I must admit I have been tempted to get one of the pheasant or Crow versions and try the Gos on it, but I do think for someone with my little brain it would probably be better having someone fly the Hawk and someone operate the rocrow. I did film the display at the falconry fair, but I expect if you go on YouTube you can find it on there.
All the best Chris
Old 06-12-2017, 01:27 PM
Chick

Chris, you will have to keep us posted on how your friend gets on with the rocrow training. Wish I could of seen the action in person as well. Some of the videos are super impressive. It will be an interesting perspective when we get to see some footage from the camera mounted on the model or the bird.
Ryan S.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:15 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Im sure it would be good for doing some sprints with the gos. Not as apt to crashing from 500ft up too. Think I would opt for the kit version and put my own esc and trans in it. That knocks the cost down some. Been messing around with a sonic 64 edf. However i do like the idea of having a falcon chasing something similar to the prey image I would like to enter them on vs. Chasing a pair of quail wings behind a traditional plane. Still hoping one of the gull/crow guys who has one will expand our conversation.
Cheers,
Ryan s.
Hi Ryan

Can I ask what esc and trans you would put in one?
And what sort of cost are they?
Cheers
Old 09-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Chick

I don't have a proper pc in front of me so i cant give specific product details, but i can point ya in the right direction.
All the electronic parts are off the shelf and can be found online or at a local hobby shop. Looks like they just rebranded the stuff with their logo.
You just need to go to the wingbeat parts or specs page and match up the specs they list. For example, i think they use a 4s Lipo battery for power so you need a 40-60amp esc. Hobbyking is a brand I use. I cant recall the size of the motor 64mm maybe, you can just search best esc for what ever size edf motor and battery combo. I have a fly-sky radio and reciver so i will just use that. I would recommend a 4-6 channel raido.. but u can get by with a 3ch. I paid $58us I think and the esc is about $20usd. When i set my plane up I just did some research on a rc hobby forum. Hope that helps some.
Cheers,
Ryan S.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:15 PM
Brancher

Quote:
I don't have a proper pc in front of me so i cant give specific product details, but i can point ya in the right direction.
All the electronic parts are off the shelf and can be found online or at a local hobby shop. Looks like they just rebranded the stuff with their logo.
You just need to go to the wingbeat parts or specs page and match up the specs they list. For example, i think they use a 4s Lipo battery for power so you need a 40-60amp esc. Hobbyking is a brand I use. I cant recall the size of the motor 64mm maybe, you can just search best esc for what ever size edf motor and battery combo. I have a fly-sky radio and reciver so i will just use that. I would recommend a 4-6 channel raido.. but u can get by with a 3ch. I paid $58us I think and the esc is about $20usd. When i set my plane up I just did some research on a rc hobby forum. Hope that helps some.
Cheers,
Ryan S.
Thanks Ryan.

Cheers