Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Cambridgeshire

Old 23-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Ben Lupton
Chick

Default Falconers in Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire/Norfolk

Hi,

I have always been interested in BoP as well as country pursuits in general. However my current circumstances do not allow me to have a hawk of my own but I would certainly like to get involved in falconry if possible.

I have in the past owned ferrets and used to work them, I also used to shoot with an airgun but mostly I just fish these days. I am hoping in a couple of years or so to be in a position to fly a bird, but as yet I do not know anyone who flies BoP.

I live in March, NE Cambs and I am asking if there are any falconers in Cambridgeshire, West Norfolk or South Lincolnshire that would be willing for me to tag along and generally just help me to get involved in falconry a little if possible.

It doesn't matter to me what you fly, somebody who is willing to allow me to get involved is all i'm after. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Ben

I have your PM George but cant reply yet. I will give you a bell Thursday evening. Thank you.

Ben
Old 24-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Default Re: Falconers in Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire/Norfolk

Hi Ben,
Sorry I can't help you atm (unless you wanna see the odd flight at ducks with a macropus in Perth WA!) BUT...your postcode is right in the middle of some great longwing ground and I'd be very suprised if you don't get an invite to see some gamehawking soon. I once nearly bought a house in March and I probably will, or nearby anyway, sometime in the future.
Best of luck, Michael.
Old 24-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Ben Lupton
Chick

Thanks Michael, a recent thread on pursuit hawking by Dan Bray has got me wondering about eventual bird choice. Would flying longwings be the main reason for you wanting to live in the Fens?

Atb
Ben
Old 24-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Michael Calvin
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayling39 View Post
Thanks Michael, a recent thread on pursuit hawking by Dan Bray has got me wondering about eventual bird choice. Would flying longwings be the main reason for you wanting to live in the Fens?

Atb
Ben
There's a bit more to it than that Ben. Better weather...my home county is the west coast of Cumbria, very beautiful (and great for ducks with 3 metres of rain per year!) but I've gone a bit soft with all this Western Australian sunshine. Accessibilty (spelling) to nice villages/towns/cities/coast/good road and rail links etc. You can be in lots of places within an hours drive from where you are, an hours drive used to get me to the nearest motorway, and that was still in the middle of nowhere Less travelling for hawking...I used to spend 5 times more time travelling for good gamehawking opportunities (usually to York/Lincs) than I used to spend in the field when I got there! My kids would find it VERY hard to adjust to a wet wednesday in Whitehaven...and all the other days of the week. They have gotten used to having outstanding amenities all around them here in Perth.
Don't get me wrong, I'm very proud to come from where I do and it will always be 'home' and a place where I'll visit often. It's a spectacularly beautiful county and if the weather were better, house prices would go through the roof! So, there's the long answer, the short answer is YES, OF COURSE Michael.
Old 26-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Ben Lupton
Chick

Haha, and I've always thought this area is boring. I have generally always travelled around for things to do but I guess thats more of a fishing problem than a falconry one. You are right though, there pretty much is everything close by and I suppose I should appreciate what I have on my door step.

Ben