Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > What is your County, Province or State? > Canada

Old 28-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Egg

Default Anyone In New Brunswick Canada...please read

I have been doing some research on Falconry in New Brunswick as I had planed on taking my apprentice course this fall. It has been almost impossible to get a straight answer from anyone in this province regarding Falconry....till now , I just got this reply today from DNR.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Falconry is not permitted in New Brunswick, as the Department of Natural Resources does not authorize anyone other than accredited zoos or wildlife rehabilitation centres to keep birds of prey in captivity.

Department of Natural Resources /MinistŔre des Ressources naturelles Fish and Wildlife Branch / Direction du Poisson et de la faune
Telephone: 506-453-3826
Fax: 506-453-6699=

Im not sure what to think about this as just about every other Province allows Falconry, Just Not New Brunswick
Old 29-03-2011, 02:53 AM
Mike Clarke
Passage

Default Re: Anyone In New Brunswick Canada...please read

You might try pushing to have it legalized. First off you need to do more research on the possesion of Non native birds in your province, this may be one way around the laws forbidding you from practicing falconry. It is different with every province. You may also want to contact Dan Paradise at the Quebec Traditional School of Falconry. He has an apprentice that was the first licensed falconer in Newfoundland . I believe Dan was also around during the fight to get falconry recognized in Quebec at the time. He would be a good contact. It is fair enough that, at this time, the DNR does not authorize any one out side of zoos to posses birds of prey but you may be able to be the first. You will have to prove zero impact so come at this from a conservation point of view. Present them with the study's on Falconry's impact on wild populations and survival rates. Don't get into the captive bred argument unless it is a last resort. Better to aim for Wild take. Remember it is YOUR resource not there's they are only a steward. You just have to convince them that you have a legit purpose. I would also do some research and contact other provincial clubs who have recently gotten falconry legalized. They will be a great resource for you as well. Saskatchewan is a great starting place. Out side of there view of eagles, there laws seem well written. approaching them with a game plan and legislation that is all ready written up and in use in another province should help.

This is of course where I would start and how I would go about it.
Old 29-03-2011, 04:18 AM
Egg

Thanks very much for the information, it was an excellent reply and just what I needed. I agree 100% about approaching it from a conservation standpoint , Politically this is something they would be much more willing to get behind I believe. I Have spoken to Dan a few times and plan on taking his Apprentice course this Fall, hopefully I will be able to speak to him more in depth about this at that time.

Again, thanks so much for your advice, it is greatly appreciated

Bruce.
Old 28-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Egg

I am in the Province of New Brunswick I just read over this information. I too would like to see Falconry instated in the Province of NB what area would you be in?

If you would like help in the issue of getting Falconry instated in the Province I would less than mind assisting in anything you would like help with.
Old 28-04-2011, 01:54 AM
Egg

You can contact me by e-mail sgh@eastlink.ca if you like Thanks for your reply I appreciate you coming forward and offering help.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Egg

I would also like to help in anyway you need. With every other province on board we should be able to make a valid argument as to why New Brunswick should allow it.
Old 20-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Egg

Hi, I am living in New Brunswick and am interested in Falconry. Has there been any updates in Falconry becoming legal in the province? If so please let me know. Also if not who where is from NB and let's get together to get it legalized! Maybe start with and e-mail champagne or something.