Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FORUM SERVICES > Forum Website > Forum Admin, Moderators, Staff & Members

Old 14-03-2017, 10:21 PM
Egg

Default Re: What ring is this please

Ste,

Have you managed to get the bird sorted? That leg definitely has issues. If it isn't broken then it is certainly deformed in some way, for some reason. The Hawk does not look in the best health. She looks a little stressed. Her talons her pretty blunt (from what the pics show). The equipment is substandard and could result I. The bird getting loose or even the bird killing itself accidentally.

Please get a local falconer to help you out and find yourself a good Avian vet local to you. Get the Hawk checked over as soon as you can. Whoever sold you this bird should have filled you in on the issue.

It really isn't good.

Sorry but I have to be honest.

Bill
Old 14-03-2017, 11:06 PM
Egg

Ste ,

If I were you I'd get the bird freelofted in some decent mews with a half open roof so she can weather herself ,cut off all her old equipment and feed her up and moult her out , then get your self some dvds on bop management and get some books Martin hollinshead book the complete hawk Is good book .

I never had a mentor with my first bird as pI couldn't find one who new enough about his own elbow never mind a bird ,,

If you can find one then a mentor would be better but if not go it your own way but spend the time while she moulting to get some revision done .. good luck with her
Old 14-03-2017, 11:31 PM
Egg

In addition, start feeding her something other than Chick. The hawking season is all but over and birds should be moulting out soon. Get her on a good varied diet as soon as possible. I still suggest a vet to check her Leg out though. The more I look the more I think it may be an issue with her foot the middle toe looks weak and oddly placed.

Regards