Falconry Forum (IFF)


Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FORUM SPONSORSHIP & COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING > WESTERN SPORTING

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-07-2015, 04:22 PM
DavidFrank's Avatar
DavidFrank DavidFrank is offline
David - Official Site Sponsor
Brancher
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sheridan, Wyoming, USA
Posts: 139
Default Traditional tethering vs. Clip and Swivel tethering



https://www.westernsporting.com/FE20...Two-Sizes.html



This is a better picture of the snap and swivel arrangement.

Western Sporting has recently added a new Clip and Swivel tethering system (FE2028A), which is based on the tethering system that has been used successfully by the Coulson's and other falconers for many years. This new Clip and Swivel tethering system uses a similar clip/swivel arrangement, but is a little different in that it is put together using a tough, custom braided loop leash and extension of the same material and quality of our other braided equipment.

Here at Western Sporting we are more accustomed to using a traditional tethering arrangement with our falcons which has an extension, swivel and leash looped through the jesses. We put a lot of thought into the design of these clip and swivel tethering systems, but we are still interested in everyone's views on using these types of systems with their hawks and experiences they've had with them.

We'd like to start a discussion on the pros and cons of this sort of tethering arrangement.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-07-2015, 04:47 PM
MattSpar MattSpar is offline
Haggard
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: "Mattspar Mansion", Glenn Close, Kirkdouglas.
Posts: 6,720
Default Re: Traditional tethering vs. Clip and Swivel tethering

More links = more points of potential failure.
__________________
"But tell the Dauphin I will keep my state,
Be like a King, and show my sail of greatness,
When I do rouse me in my throne of France!"
Henry V Act 2.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-07-2015, 04:08 PM
Harris21's Avatar
Harris21 Harris21 is offline
Chick
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Reading,Berkshire
Posts: 77
Default Re: Traditional tethering vs. Clip and Swivel tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidFrank View Post


https://www.westernsporting.com/FE20...Two-Sizes.html



This is a better picture of the snap and swivel arrangement.

Western Sporting has recently added a new Clip and Swivel tethering system (FE2028A), which is based on the tethering system that has been used successfully by the Coulson's and other falconers for many years. This new Clip and Swivel tethering system uses a similar clip/swivel arrangement, but is a little different in that it is put together using a tough, custom braided loop leash and extension of the same material and quality of our other braided equipment.

Here at Western Sporting we are more accustomed to using a traditional tethering arrangement with our falcons which has an extension, swivel and leash looped through the jesses. We put a lot of thought into the design of these clip and swivel tethering systems, but we are still interested in everyone's views on using these types of systems with their hawks and experiences they've had with them.

We'd like to start a discussion on the pros and cons of this sort of tethering arrangement.
I'd be interested in hearing the benefits of this system as I don't consider the traditional system as being problematic
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Haek Haek is offline
Barry
Passage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ex Yorkshire
Posts: 2,405
Default Re: Traditional tethering vs. Clip and Swivel tethering

First of all I admit to being old and somewhat confused at times but could you post a pic of this "system " actually on a hawk so that I can see how it is used, I can not visualise inj in operation from that illustrations.
Secondly I see on each "leg" of the system 4 wear points of braid to metal, a split circle ring and from personal experience those things have two ends that are the very devil for catching onto things. Leather jesses have only two poiints of wear and as you advise with your "system " they should/must be checked regularly for signs of wear. I see no advantage Im sorry to say.
__________________
If you do it right you only have to do it once
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-07-2015, 09:54 PM
Derry Shaw's Avatar
Derry Shaw Derry Shaw is offline
Passage
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 3,471
Default Re: Traditional tethering vs. Clip and Swivel tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haek View Post
First of all I admit to being old and somewhat confused at times but could you post a pic of this "system " actually on a hawk so that I can see how it is used, I can not visualise inj in operation from that illustrations.
Secondly I see on each "leg" of the system 4 wear points of braid to metal, a split circle ring and from personal experience those things have two ends that are the very devil for catching onto things. Leather jesses have only two poiints of wear and as you advise with your "system " they should/must be checked regularly for signs of wear. I see no advantage Im sorry to say.
I have to concur with all that has been said within this post.

Regards, Derry.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Mark23576's Avatar
Mark23576 Mark23576 is offline
Mark
Passage
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: lancs
Posts: 1,352
Cool Re: Traditional tethering vs. Clip and Swivel tethering

I too would like to see these on a hawk as it looks a complicated set up. I will be continuing using a traditional swivel set up.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-07-2015, 08:07 PM
SoldierHawker's Avatar
SoldierHawker SoldierHawker is offline
Billy Mazella
Passage
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Birmingham,UK
Posts: 4,758
Default Re: Traditional tethering vs. Clip and Swivel tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haek View Post
First of all I admit to being old and somewhat confused at times but could you post a pic of this "system " actually on a hawk so that I can see how it is used, I can not visualise inj in operation from that illustrations.
Secondly I see on each "leg" of the system 4 wear points of braid to metal, a split circle ring and from personal experience those things have two ends that are the very devil for catching onto things. Leather jesses have only two poiints of wear and as you advise with your "system " they should/must be checked regularly for signs of wear. I see no advantage Im sorry to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry Shaw View Post
I have to concur with all that has been said within this post.

Regards, Derry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark23576 View Post
I too would like to see these on a hawk as it looks a complicated set up. I will be continuing using a traditional swivel set up.

I agree with all of these! I would like to see them in use, on a hawk.
Those clips - regularly came attached to gloves as securing leashes - I always cut them off because I don't trust them and they're way to tricky to undo and reattach with cold hands!

Regards,
__________________
Goshawking it's in the blood! - Born Free Die Wild



Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Argee's Avatar
Argee Argee is offline
Arthur
Passage
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torbay ,Devon
Posts: 3,128
Wink Re: Traditional tethering vs. Clip and Swivel tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierHawker View Post
I agree with all of these! I would like to see them in use, on a hawk.
Those clips - regularly came attached to gloves as securing leashes - I always cut them off because I don't trust them and they're way to tricky to undo and reattach with cold hands!

Regards,
mmmmmmmmmmm... ' cold hands warm heart ' ...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-07-2015, 09:48 AM
ShinerStitch's Avatar
ShinerStitch ShinerStitch is offline
Darren
Passage
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Shropshire
Posts: 597
Default Re: Traditional tethering vs. Clip and Swivel tethering

If it isn't broke don't fix it springs to mind. As already said I can see no advantage only potential problems.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-07-2015, 11:37 AM
AshyA's Avatar
AshyA AshyA is offline
Alex Ashton
Passage
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kent
Posts: 1,780
Default Traditional tethering vs. Clip and Swivel tethering

I use a clip system on some of my display birds. Some of our Fish Eagles & Vultures would make sure you had no fingers left whilst removing there swivel. I stitch there jesses & simply put a clip through a small loop. Pick them up, unclip them & away you go. Never had a problem & the clip just replaces the swivel, nothing else.
If I go out hawking & there is more than 1 hawk I will use flying jesses with a small hole in & make sure my bird is clipped up between slips so as to make sure 2 birds are not slipped at once.

Alex


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
clip, swivel, tethering, traditional

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.