Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FORUM SPONSORSHIP & COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING > WESTERN SPORTING

Old 07-07-2015, 04:22 PM
David - Official Site Sponsor
Brancher

Default Traditional tethering vs. Clip and Swivel tethering

https://www.westernsporting.com/FE20...Two-Sizes.html

This is a better picture of the snap and swivel arrangement.

Western Sporting has recently added a new Clip and Swivel tethering system (FE2028A), which is based on the tethering system that has been used successfully by the Coulson's and other falconers for many years. This new Clip and Swivel tethering system uses a similar clip/swivel arrangement, but is a little different in that it is put together using a tough, custom braided loop leash and extension of the same material and quality of our other braided equipment.

Here at Western Sporting we are more accustomed to using a traditional tethering arrangement with our falcons which has an extension, swivel and leash looped through the jesses. We put a lot of thought into the design of these clip and swivel tethering systems, but we are still interested in everyone's views on using these types of systems with their hawks and experiences they've had with them.

We'd like to start a discussion on the pros and cons of this sort of tethering arrangement.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:47 PM
Haggard

Default Re: Traditional tethering vs. Clip and Swivel tethering

More links = more points of potential failure.
Henry V Act 2.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:08 PM
Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidFrank View Post

https://www.westernsporting.com/FE20...Two-Sizes.html

This is a better picture of the snap and swivel arrangement.

Western Sporting has recently added a new Clip and Swivel tethering system (FE2028A), which is based on the tethering system that has been used successfully by the Coulson's and other falconers for many years. This new Clip and Swivel tethering system uses a similar clip/swivel arrangement, but is a little different in that it is put together using a tough, custom braided loop leash and extension of the same material and quality of our other braided equipment.

Here at Western Sporting we are more accustomed to using a traditional tethering arrangement with our falcons which has an extension, swivel and leash looped through the jesses. We put a lot of thought into the design of these clip and swivel tethering systems, but we are still interested in everyone's views on using these types of systems with their hawks and experiences they've had with them.

We'd like to start a discussion on the pros and cons of this sort of tethering arrangement.
I'd be interested in hearing the benefits of this system as I don't consider the traditional system as being problematic
Old 08-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Barry
Passage

First of all I admit to being old and somewhat confused at times but could you post a pic of this "system " actually on a hawk so that I can see how it is used, I can not visualise inj in operation from that illustrations.
Secondly I see on each "leg" of the system 4 wear points of braid to metal, a split circle ring and from personal experience those things have two ends that are the very devil for catching onto things. Leather jesses have only two poiints of wear and as you advise with your "system " they should/must be checked regularly for signs of wear. I see no advantage Im sorry to say.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:54 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haek View Post
First of all I admit to being old and somewhat confused at times but could you post a pic of this "system " actually on a hawk so that I can see how it is used, I can not visualise inj in operation from that illustrations.
Secondly I see on each "leg" of the system 4 wear points of braid to metal, a split circle ring and from personal experience those things have two ends that are the very devil for catching onto things. Leather jesses have only two poiints of wear and as you advise with your "system " they should/must be checked regularly for signs of wear. I see no advantage Im sorry to say.
I have to concur with all that has been said within this post.

Regards, Derry.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Mark
Passage

Cool Re: Traditional tethering vs. Clip and Swivel tethering

I too would like to see these on a hawk as it looks a complicated set up. I will be continuing using a traditional swivel set up.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Billy Mazella
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry Shaw View Post
I have to concur with all that has been said within this post.

Regards, Derry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark23576 View Post
I too would like to see these on a hawk as it looks a complicated set up. I will be continuing using a traditional swivel set up.

I agree with all of these! I would like to see them in use, on a hawk.
Those clips - regularly came attached to gloves as securing leashes - I always cut them off because I don't trust them and they're way to tricky to undo and reattach with cold hands!

Regards,

Old 10-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Arthur
Passage

Wink Re: Traditional tethering vs. Clip and Swivel tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierHawker View Post
I agree with all of these! I would like to see them in use, on a hawk.
Those clips - regularly came attached to gloves as securing leashes - I always cut them off because I don't trust them and they're way to tricky to undo and reattach with cold hands!

Regards,
mmmmmmmmmmm... ' cold hands warm heart ' ...
Old 10-07-2015, 09:48 AM
Darren
Passage

If it isn't broke don't fix it springs to mind. As already said I can see no advantage only potential problems.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Alex Ashton
Passage

Default Traditional tethering vs. Clip and Swivel tethering

I use a clip system on some of my display birds. Some of our Fish Eagles & Vultures would make sure you had no fingers left whilst removing there swivel. I stitch there jesses & simply put a clip through a small loop. Pick them up, unclip them & away you go. Never had a problem & the clip just replaces the swivel, nothing else.
If I go out hawking & there is more than 1 hawk I will use flying jesses with a small hole in & make sure my bird is clipped up between slips so as to make sure 2 birds are not slipped at once.

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk