Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > South Africa

Old 10-05-2016, 08:12 PM
Egg

Default Would like to learn more

Hey guys I am from bloemfontein and would really want to learn more about falconry .
If anyone could help me it would be nice
You could contact me aT
MarkusGerber@hotmail.com
Old 11-05-2016, 04:09 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Default Re: Would like to learn more

Welcome to the forum Mark, I hope that you find someone where you are that can help you. I', sure you'll enjoy your time on the forum.

Regards,

Bradley
Old 12-05-2016, 02:58 PM
Banned
Egg

Best thing to do is go out and Buy a BIRD as soon as possible!!
Old 12-05-2016, 04:46 PM
Egg

The problem I have is , if I buy a bird will I be able to raise and train it correctly . I would rather learn and then buy a bird .
I really don't want the bird to suffer from my lack of experience and knowledge .
Old 12-05-2016, 06:40 PM
Trevor Oertel
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewB View Post
Hey guys I am from bloemfontein and would really want to learn more about falconry .
If anyone could help me it would be nice
You could contact me aT
MarkusGerber@hotmail.com
Markus drop me an email (raptor@icon.co.za) with all your contact details or give me a shout on 083 6565 912 and I'll put you in touch with the Chairman and Secretary of the Free State Falconry Club, both are based in Bloem.

Falconry is very regulated in SA. Among others you have to be a member of a SAFA affiliated club.

Regards
Trevor
Ex Officio Member SAFA Exco
Old 12-05-2016, 06:56 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewB View Post
The problem I have is , if I buy a bird will I be able to raise and train it correctly . I would rather learn and then buy a bird .
I really don't want the bird to suffer from my lack of experience and knowledge .
Please ignore the above poster as their advice will get you nowhere, other than killing a bird though lack of experience. The first issue that you'll face is your location, Falconry isn't as abundant if Africa as it is in say America or here in the U.K. It will be hard for you although I'm a strong believer that anything is possible with effort and dedication. Your best bet will be looking on sites such as this and reading all the books you can, they will give you a good basic idea of what is expected when owning a Bird of Prey. There is a South African Falconer's Association but I don't know whether their website is down as it didn't load. There is a Transvaal Falconry Club which seems to be still active, I have linked a website of a Falconer who is based in South Africa, may be worth of contacting him. I found a particular thread of of here that is a little old but practically answers your questions of somebody who was inquiring about Falconry in South Africa. I have added a link to this and a few other links that you may find useful.

One piece of vital information for you is that you have to be a member of one of the provincial clubs to be a Falconer in South Africa, I found this from the forum thread I linked for you, it contains loads of information for you. I hope you find all of this useful and you may wish to contact the member on here who seems to know a lot of Falconer's in South Africa, he also posted lots in the thread I linked. It looks as though he's already posted above my post, this would really be worth following up, good luck!

Regards,

Bradley

South African Falconer's Association:http://www.safa.za.net/.

South Africa Thread:http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=72648.

South-African based Falconer:http://falconrysa.weebly.com/.

Last edited by BradazTheFalconer; 12-05-2016 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Removed Information
Old 12-05-2016, 07:29 PM
Trevor Oertel
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkman111 View Post
Best thing to do is go out and Buy a BIRD as soon as possible!!
Grow up or find another play ground.

Trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
Please ignore the above poster as their advice will get you nowhere, other than killing a bird though lack of experience There is a South African Falconer's Association but I don't know whether their website is down as it didn't load.

Regards,

Bradley

South African Falconer's Association:http://www.safa.za.net/.

South Africa Thread:http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=72648.
Bradley thank you for assisting Markus. The SAFA website is currently being upgraded.

Take care
Trevor
Old 13-05-2016, 11:59 AM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANBoPC View Post
Bradley thank you for assisting Markus. The SAFA website is currently being upgraded.

Take care
Trevor
I was writing the post whilst you was and when I'd put my post up I realised that you had posted before me. I'm glad that you posted as I saw you on the other thread I linked, you seem like you know about Falconry in South Africa.

I especially wanted to post as I didn't want the poor and inappropriate advice of the poster to discourage. I hope that everything gets sorted out and Markus finds someone in South Africa to talk with, I'm sure he will with your help.

Regards,

Bradley