Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > North East Region

Old 22-08-2016, 08:46 PM
Egg

Default Falconry co.durham.

Hi my name is dale, iam currently looking to get in to falconry and would appreciate any help advice and guidance,i dont actually own a bird of prey as of yet and have no prior experience but im really keen to know what bird would be best suited to a complete novice ,ive heard HH. are a good starting bird but have no idea how to train or raise them or what size aviary to purchase or other kit needed.
Old 23-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Egg

Default Re: Falconry co.durham.

I'm from Durham I fly a goshawk and Harris hawk if you need advice or want to come and have a look and my setup you can, I'd invite you for a day hunting with the birds but there in moult at the minute.
Old 23-08-2016, 05:06 PM
Egg

Thank you very much for the reply id love to come and check out your set up and get some advice. its me and my brother who are wanting a bird and are both very keen to get the ball rolling would it be ok for both of use to attend?
Old 23-08-2016, 05:07 PM
Passage

Hello mate.

Im only in sunderland if you get stuck.

I have a male harris and a male goshawk who will be hunting as of tomorro.

I have a thread on his progress
Old 23-08-2016, 05:23 PM
Egg

Any advice on how i should get started am i best going on a hunt with somebody first and learning what it all about? what do you personally recommend?
Old 23-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Egg

Yeah no problem mate you can have a pop over this weekend all being well, just give me a message and wel get something arranged

Definitely go out with someone first and go out with them for a while and learn as much as possible, then once you've got a mews and all the equipment and mentor and some hunting permission sorted, only then start thinking about getting a bird (which should be a Harris hawk or red tail for a beginner) but even beginner birds need allot of time putting into them, just because people say there a beginners birds doesn't mean there easy though
Old 23-08-2016, 05:32 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejoe View Post
Yeah no problem mate you can have a pop over this weekend all being well, just give me a message and wel get something arranged

Definitely go out with someone first and go out with them for a while and learn as much as possible, then once you've got a mews and all the equipment and mentor and some hunting permission sorted, only then start thinking about getting a bird (which should be a Harris hawk or red tail for a beginner) but even beginner birds need allot of time putting into them, just because people say there a beginners birds doesn't mean there easy though
I know its not going to be easy but that doesn't but me off in the slightest just makes me want to do it more i young but im mature so know that its a big responsibility to take on just need the right opportunity and guidance to get started.
Old 23-08-2016, 06:08 PM
Egg

It would be great to come check out you set up and have a chat will check my availability and keep in touch vie thread till then.