Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Canada

Old 05-12-2016, 12:07 PM
Egg

Default Greatings to all from Cape Breton.

Good day all, I am actively seeking a mentor so I can get into Falconry. I live in the middle of the wilderness and finally have the opportunity, and time, to devote myself to this fascinating endeavor, but it's proving to be exceptionally difficult to find someone whom to apprentice under. I have been given a few leads, but as of yet none have even taken the time to return my calls. I find this incredible, as most falconers I have spoken with (out of province) would be move than willing to help as they wish to spread the knowledge and further grow the 'sport', but within Nova Scotia one can't even get a response. Even the Falconry business around Halifax can't see fit to return a call.
If anyone can help me get in contact with a mentor it would be GREATLY appreciated. I have a line on obtaining a Harris Hawk, I have a mews nearly complete. All I need is the guidance of a knowledgeable mentor. I would love to gain enough experience to take on an my own apprentice(s) in time and spread my fascination for these incredible birds.
My advanced appreciation to any and all assistance offered.
Cheers!
Old 05-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Brancher

Default Re: Greatings to all from Cape Breton.

How funny I've been considering the possibilities to move there with my girl a few months ago but it wasn't as easy professionally , May I suggest that while looking for a mentor , coming here on the forum will provide you with much help as well as diverisfied one which is always a good thing.
I suppose you're planning to fly a broad or a shortwing ?
regards
juan
Old 05-12-2016, 12:53 PM
Egg

Good day Juan, I can't disagree with you on the professional side of things out here, that is among many reasons I am actively seeking a mentor, I would love to get into Falconry as a business, my main intrestes lay in the fascination, but as it is so difficult finding gainful employment out here, Id love to take the opportunity to do both... thus being a labour of love. There are numerous farms around as well as other opportunities, and many have voiced interest in contracting such means of pest control. The opportunities are here.
As for type of raptor, I'm still refining my preference. I was told the Harris Hawk is by far the best to start with, as they are very forgiving and will more or less train ME. But from that point on it more comes down to what would be best suited for my environment, both weather and prey. One of my favorite is the Cooper's Hawk and they are commonly seen in the skies above me, but we also have paragrin falcons, goshawks, red tails, varrious owl's, osprey, and bald eagles in the wild out here. As such, I'd rather not pick and choose until I've gained more knowledge, and experience. I hear ups and downs about many birds, but until I gain some experience I don't think it be fair to choose between broad and short wing, that said It would be a larger breed, the prey up here is mostly snowshoe hare, grouse, crow, squirrel, mink and muskrat.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:55 PM
Harry McElroy
Brancher

It is common for the national club to provide mentors? Have you joined?

Harry.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:20 PM
Egg

Good day Harry, joining a club is proving quite difficult as well, Canada doesn't seem to have a national club, but instead broken down into provinces and smaller community ones. At one point there was one in he province I reside (Nova Scotia Falconry Association) but every bit of contact information I can find on it is obsolete. I've contacted some of the other provincial clubs only to be pointed back to the same obsolete information. I'm guessing their wasn't the following out here. Even he local Game Warden of 25yrs had to look into it, he thought I was pulling his leg. I'm stumped.
Jeremy
Old 06-12-2016, 03:10 PM
Harry McElroy
Brancher

Jeremy,

The NAFA would love to have you as a Canadian member and they will help you find a mentor. It has a Canadian director...Martin Geleynse at Canadian_Director@n-a-f-a.com

The club is encouraging membership and offering some perk for new members.

I have served as an officer and published the journal so I know the organization well.

Harry.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:20 PM
Egg

Harry,
Thank you, I will follow that direction and apply with NAFA right away. Much appreciated.
Jeremy