Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > Falconry Quarry & All Things Historical

Old 25-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Terry
Passage

Default Re: Released Game?

[quote=Dave 3;2153311]I generally see small coveys of Red legged Partridges after the crops have been harvested and before poult's are usually released. Have been noticing that the small coveys left over from the season have now split up into pairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Thank you for your responses.

I have found Redleg nests with eggs in them, and I once saw a hen crossing a track with three very small young just a week old I guess, so the siblings must have already perished very early on.

But I never see poults in autumn.

The pheasants seem to breed very well here in salt marsh/arable land, I've seen hens with 6-8 large poults in tow in August/September

I'd like to know more about Redlegs ecology in Britain - but my Google'd findings are quite basic. If anyone knows of any detailed scientific information I'd be grateful to for some help of where to find it.

The general consensus is that after generations of electronic hatching and rearing they have lost the ability to successfully incubate and rear young naturally.

Regards

Terry

I don't really believe that, but think that the conditions in the uk are not as suitable for them as the environment of their country of origin.
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...63655709475876
Thanks Dave

That was an interesting read. Do you know if the study birds were Chukar or Redlegs ? I read that Chukar was the original Redleg released here first but this was stopped and I can't remember why.

What's your own experiences ? Do you ever see wild Redleg poults in Cambridge ?

Regards

Terry
Old 25-03-2017, 09:18 PM
Dave Cross
Passage

Default Re: Released Game?

[quote=TerryS;2153321]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 3 View Post
I generally see small coveys of Red legged Partridges after the crops have been harvested and before poult's are usually released. Have been noticing that the small coveys left over from the season have now split up into pairs.

Thanks Dave

That was an interesting read. Do you know if the study birds were Chukar or Redlegs ? I read that Chukar was the original Redleg released here first but this was stopped and I can't remember why.

What's your own experiences ? Do you ever see wild Redleg poults in Cambridge ?

Regards

Terry
The study birds were Alectoris Rufa Terry which are Redlegged and not Chukar. My own observations preceeded the article.