Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Old 29-11-2016, 05:16 PM
Default Re: Harris Hawk 'not for hunting' ?

Yes rene i agree lots of show birds flown in the summer are the hunted in the winter spec harris hawks to many people are getting birds of pray for ego regards tel
Old 29-11-2016, 07:52 PM

The question wasn't ,is it morally right or what you would do ?

But is it possible? and in answer to that ,its more than possible ,would i personally do it ,no
Is it done a lot ,yep sure is

Is it likely that anything thats said on this thread will dissuade him ? nope
lie down with dogs you catch fleas
Old 29-11-2016, 08:03 PM

Well pointed out Shaun.
Old 30-11-2016, 08:17 PM

Thank you all for your all valuable answers.

Tod, I am inclined to a FHH because it is said to be the good beginners BOP.
Crumpet, thank you for the 'facts'. Thats what I asked for.
RenÚ, thank you for you input as well. I have no intention to neglect the bird, and my question was 'ethologic'.
I think Shaun got my point : is it 'morally right' (to the bird) to not really hunt ?

Also, to answer Shaun : with all this dissuade me ? Yes it would because I ABSOLUTELY don't want to mis-raise a bird and have a bad relation.

Also, I did not say I would restrain the bird from catching live quarry (as Ian pointed out). I only said I did not think in the first place to make it a primary goal of the association. But I'm flexible when it comes to ethology.

Last, but this would be for an other topic, my interest in BOP comes from the rehab experience I had with owls. In France (Carefull : generalisation, there are exceptions to the following), hacking (is it the proper for 'affaitage ?) is teaching the bird human language and requests. Few make the effort of trying to understand to a full extent what their bird tell them. I'd like to speak bird, to put it shortly, and I have the notion that HH are rather communicative birds due to their social nature.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:14 AM

If you can speak bird then great! A HH could be taught to do many behaviours for education or show or personal amusement. But why would you have one as a pet? They have a strong instinct to hunt, and you would need to make sure you can dispatch anything your pet hawk catches. You would also be seen as an expert by the public, and would need to make it clear to them that you aren't a falconer and that HHs should not be kept as pets (as the majority of people can't speak bird, haven't the sense of responsibility, and generally don't know anything about keeping birds of prey).

I would suggest that, if you are really going to go through with this (which I wouldn't recommend since you have no way of knowing what you are going in for and the hawk you get would be happier with a falconer), get a disabled or otherwise useless hawk that hopefully has no behavioural problems (unless you are really good at training and communicating). That way you are giving somebody else's throw-away a second chance. Don't buy a first year hawk that should be flying hard and hunting hard and living life to the fullest.

Alternatively - get another animal (a domesticated animal or one that is much better suited to living with people as a pet - if you need high maintenance and high intelligence, a parrot might be good). Or get a vulture, owl, or buzzard, and make sure people know you aren't a falconer. Or be a rehabber, or get involved with conservation and train a bird for advocacy. Do some good!
Old 01-12-2016, 11:26 AM

Id only use a harris for hunting,but eache to there own
Old 01-12-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
there are many who fly hh without hunting ,whether deliberately or due to heir lack of quarry or abilities(and you would have to be pretty unlucky or inept to not hunt with a Harris hawk )

there are also many many who fly Harris hawks with no intention of ever going near quarry ,the fairs ,centres ,experience places and such like are full of them
the birds are fine and often several ounces above a true hunting weight so its more than possible and reasonable even if it doesnt meet the criteria of the definition of falconry ,its certainly a better option than many left sitting in pens
First class and unbiased answer Shaun.
As for depriving a HH of hunting being a sin as some have posted, except for a very few certain species that definitely seem to need the thrill of the hunt and kill almost all species of BOP including wild birds would always choose an easy option of food over the effort and risks of the hunt. So saying you are depriving a HH by not hunting it on live quarry is certainly a matter of opinion and not fact. Most HH's flown for fun, display etc are flown far heavier all their lives than a HH that is at it's correct hunting weight. [ Although I would guess probably 90%+ of HH's flown for hunting in this country are flown well above their true hunting weight. ] This in itself must be a positive for the bird. A bird flown hard and well on a regular basis either hunting or just to the fist can both have a very for-filled life. JMO
Old 01-12-2016, 11:32 AM

If you love Birds of prey and wish to study them more closely why would you set out to deny them their basic function. Hunting is what makes them a bird of prey.
If you just want to fly a bird get a corvid.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Angie Rooney

Its not statically true that a Harris is a bird that wants to hunt or kill anything that moves. We have 9 Harris Hawks 4 of them are failed hunters that no one wanted, they really don't want to hunt, one of them the chap dropped his weight so low to get him to take quarry it almost killed him, this particular bird is now 12 years old (he was 1 when we got him) he is flown Monday - Friday in London and at our shows during the summer and has never shown any signs of wanting to hunt.
Where we have just moved to we are surrounded in open land with plenty of wild phesent and Hares, even my female Harris couldn't care about them, she would rather stay with me, I would say only half of our hawks would kill given the chance, and in London that means pigeons or the odd squirrel we come across.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:51 PM

I've not read all of the posts on this thread, but from what I have read no one seems to have mentioned maybe getting or homing a bird that has been injured & is now unable to hunt?

Surely this would be a better outcome for the bird - to be with an owner who is happy to keep the bird without needing to work it?

Seems wrong to deprive a bird that has the instinct & is capable of hunting, whereas ayou could give a long happy existence to a bird that would otherwise die (in the wild) or be possibly neglected in captivity.

Just a suggestion

If I did miss this mentioned previously, then I Second the idea

harris, hawk, hunting