Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FORUM SERVICES > Forum Website > Forum Terms & Conditions, Policies & Rules

Old 08-11-2010, 07:45 PM
John formerly It's Alright Ma
Haggard

Default Threats of violence

Many will be aware that some members have issued threats of extreme violence, on thread or via pm, to other members. Considering that this must be considered totally unacceptable, a penalty of sorts has been imposed, in some instances, to the perpetrators of these threats.

These penalties seem to me to be disproportionately lenient, when, for example, the same penalty, a week ban or so, is issued for much more trivial breaches of forum rules.

I wonder what the thinking is behind this? Would I be correct in assuming that the penalty imposed is unspecified but at the discretion of admin, on a case by case basis, whereby there involves a risk of bias, percieved unfairness, or accusations of self preservation?

Any insight into this matter would be most welcome.

Johny
Old 08-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Wesley "The Immortal"
Haggard

Default Re: Threats of violence

Mods and Admin have a Job to do and we do that to what we feel is the best of our abillity 99 % of people are happy but unfortunately you seem to be 1 of the small minority and ofr that e can do nothing more than apologise !!

Wez
Old 08-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNoseK9 View Post
Mods and Admin have a Job to do and we do that to what we feel is the best of our abillity 99 % of people are happy but unfortunately you seem to be 1 of the small minority and ofr that e can do nothing more than apologise !!

Wez
I'm not criticizing mods or admin Wez, nor saying I'm unhappy, I'm just asking the question. If admin thinks it's reasonable to tolerate, by way of very lenient 'penalty', these incidents, so be it. Just doesn't seem right somehow, that's all.

Johny
Old 08-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Brancher

Its a difficult subject to approach.
But, threats of violence behind a keyboard is maybe an act of brovado. The difficulty is policing such acts and taking a threat as serius enough to warrant police involvement.
Is the threat aimed directly at yourself?
More information is required to make a detailed reply to your post.

Please forgive my last post- replied to wrong topic. will teach me to post while intoxicated!!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Sean Donnelly
Haggard

Absolutely correct Johny, A threat of violence towards a mod should be a lifetime ban on the IFF, weather the threat was made on here or some other social network site, the IFF needs to back its members and mods on a more vigilant level
Old 09-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJem View Post
But, threats of violence behind a keyboard is maybe an act of brovado. The difficulty is policing such acts and taking a threat as serius enough to warrant police involvement.
Is the threat aimed directly at yourself?
More information is required to make a detailed reply to your post.

please forgive my last post- replied to wrong topic. will teach me to post while intoxicated!!
Not aimed at myself Dave, to women mainly, by men. Bravado or not, I'm actually quite surprised there has been no police involvelement in certain instances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean D View Post
Absolutely correct Johny, A threat of violence towards a mod should be a lifetime ban on the IFF, weather the threat was made on here or some other social network site, the IFF needs to back its members and mods on a more vigilant level
Thanks Sean, that's my thinking exactly. I suspect there will be some division on this subject because of loyalties to friends etc, or percieved friends. But this is irrelevant in my view, admin can take the matter in hand and operate zero tolerance along the lines you've suggested.

All the best

Johny
Old 09-11-2010, 08:06 AM
John
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Not aimed at myself Dave, to women mainly, by men. Bravado or not, I'm actually quite surprised there has been no police involvelement in certain instances.

Thanks Sean, that's my thinking exactly. I suspect there will be some division on this subject because of loyalties to friends etc, or percieved friends. But this is irrelevant in my view, admin can take the matter in hand and operate zero tolerance along the lines you've suggested.

All the best

Johny
I think a threat of violence to any member or mod should result in a lifetime ban whether on the open forum or by pm...............
Old 09-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Haggard

I'm not an active member of facebook but I know that there is a large IFF membership on there. Rumour has it that an IFF member, who was temporarily banned from here, continued to express his resentment towards the female moderator who banned him and that this resulted in threats of violence which were expressed on facebook.
Can that be confirmed as truth...or are we not supposed to mention it?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean D View Post
well said any form of threat to anyone on here should be banned for life, it sounds like some are getting away with it because they are friends with the rule makers.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Tom Bryce
Haggard

Rene, I believe this to be true. In my opinion there should be no way back for an individual who makes threats of this nature. I maybe upsetting mutual friends, but theres no excuse for that behaviour.

Tom