Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FORUM SERVICES > Forum Website > Forum Terms & Conditions, Policies & Rules

Old 23-11-2010, 10:01 AM
John formerly It's Alright Ma
Haggard

Default Re: Only a forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB View Post
Of late I'm seeing less regard for a birds welfare and the laws that exsist around our sport. The forum has a lot of positive, but lately is showing it's negative side, where people seem to think they can do and say what they like. It's only a forum eh!

Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
take all with a pinch of salt

learn who the berks are (pretty easy)

do your best to ignore the bull(easier said than done)

fly your bird hard
atb..

A worthy sticky indeed

Problem is guys, there are quite a lot of freshlings out there (just look at the intro section) and you're right Stu, it is easy pretty easy to work out who the berks are (whatever a berk is ).

But going by the failure, of some supposedly experienced folk, to recognize basic bad falconry practices; I reckon there's a risk that these and others will infleunce the freshling adversely. In other words, there are dark times ahead.

As much as it's only a forum, it is pretty clear that people can be infleunced by content, good and bad. Too much of the bad these days and not enough consensus against it, which is a worry.

Johny
Old 23-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Ashley Barnes
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
take all with a pinch of salt

learn who the berks are (pretty easy)

do your best to ignore the bull(easier said than done)

fly your bird hard
atb..
Easy for some not so easy for the majority.
Old 23-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Passage

I think everyone is waiting for the silly season to end and the hunting season to start
Old 23-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Ashley Barnes
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
A worthy sticky indeed

Problem is guys, there are quite a lot of freshlings out there (just look at the intro section) and you're right Stu, it is easy pretty easy to work out who the berks are (whatever a berk is ).

But going by the failure, of some supposedly experienced folk, to recognize basic bad falconry practices; I reckon there's a risk that these and others will infleunce the freshling adversely. In other words, there are dark times ahead.

As much as it's only a forum, it is pretty clear that people can be infleunced by content, good and bad. Too much of the bad these days and not enough consensus against it, which is a worry.

Johny
look at society in general. bloody sheep, this forum mirrors it.
I think your wasting your breath johny. to many half wits.
Old 23-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Owl View Post
Johny,

If I didn't believe in the forum I would not be giving up my time, free of charge, to Moderate this forum. What do I get out if it? I do not receive any compensation. I get grief from people that receive infractions/bans. It is a very thankless job. Despite what some people think, it is certainly NOT because I get some kind of make believe power. I moderate because I believe that the IFF is a good place for falconers to get together and learn, trade stories, etc.

I agree that the forum has not been great lately, but a lot of that has to do with the members. Instead of helping to make it better, all y'all do is complain and say how the IFF sucks and how this forum and that forum are better, blah, blah, blah. I will support the forum because I believe in it. But the methods that many go about getting points across on here are not the way and only cause more harm.

This is a free forum that is open to the public. So we are going to get idiots on here. Being stupid is not against the forum T&C. If it was we would not have many members left. Seriously, though, there is only so much we can do. It is an International forum, so some things posted may be legal in some countries and illegal in others. We are not going to delete things that are legal for some falconers. We do try to delete all the stuff were people are talking about doing illegal things, even when joking. Do we always see these things...NO. That is why we always ask for help.

The Mods are not perfect, but we really do try our best. We are not perfect and we do make mistakes. We do go off on people and say things we shouldn't, but we are human. We get attacked from all sides and sometimes we have had enough and lose our temper. But people also need to realize that we are human, are doing this for free, and cut us some slack. No one is going to always agree with what we do, but instead of starting a thread complaining and getting others to jump on the bandwagon, act like an adult and deal with it through PM.

We can only do so much. Members need to take responsibility for their actions as well. There are some members on here that are total jerks here, but in real life are nice as can be. And those that are on the 'other' forum and behave, then come on here and stir the pot. So why can't these people act like adults on here. If they would, this place would be a much better forum and a place where people would enjoy logging in to.

As for the newbies that join the forum with no knowledge of owning BOPs, but just bought one. There is only so much we can do there. It is not illegal in the UK, and again, it is not against the T&C to be stupid. We have tried to do what we can with the IFF starter pak, but we can't just ban people for not learning what they need to do first.

People complain when we are heavy handed and they complain when we give people more freedoms. There is never a way to win with the members. But I have become friends with quite a few people on here and have met quite a few in person. I owe that to the IFF. I don't know what the answer is, but I would like the IFF to be a fun place to come to.
You cant please everyone, i enjoy it because im new to falconery, but i have learnt a lot the main one is about telemetry, i wasant going to get one at first then i went on the forum and saw how many said you should have one, and i have.
Old 23-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Haggard

At the end of the day a forum is just a large group and people end up occupying roles on behalf of the group. Some people engage in an up front way whilst others send pm's to encourage or feed ongoing scenarios whilst remaining mute themselves. Specific aspects of our own psychological functioning predispose us to occupy the position which waits like an empty chair with our name on. Throw one person out of the chair, by banning them, and another backside will plop into the chair immediately because the group needs someone to function in that role. Maybe the new occupant of the chair will wonder what the hell has happened to them but, too late mate, this is who you are now so get on with being what you're needed to be. All this stuff about only wanting pure falconry threads is a load of guff!! The hits on the threads with abusive arguments are quite likely higher than any other thread. Why?...because that's what the viewers want and so that's what the management supports. It would be entirely easy to have a 'Mission Statement' for this forum and a strictly adhered to set of rules which are rigidly enforced. I'm on an arts forum where this is perfectly straightforward. If that happened here then half the members would drift away just like they do from the 'pure' forums in order to return for the 'nothing to do with falconry' hit on here.
That's human nature and this forum's admin realises that absolutely...which is why this forum remains the largest and doubtless always will be. Precisely the same as the BBC planting Anne Widdecombe in a competition about dancing....emotion and conflict brings in the viewers.
Old 23-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Ashley Barnes
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by René View Post
At the end of the day a forum is just a large group and people end up occupying roles on behalf of the group. Some people engage in an up front way whilst others send pm's to encourage or feed ongoing scenarios whilst remaining mute themselves. Specific aspects of our own psychological functioning predispose us to occupy the position which waits like an empty chair with our name on. Throw one person out of the chair, by banning them, and another backside will plop into the chair immediately because the group needs someone to function in that role. Maybe the new occupant of the chair will wonder what the hell has happened to them but, too late mate, this is who you are now so get on with being what you're needed to be. All this stuff about only wanting pure falconry threads is a load of guff!! The hits on the threads with abusive arguments are quite likely higher than any other thread. Why?...because that's what the viewers want and so that's what the management supports. It would be entirely easy to have a 'Mission Statement' for this forum and a strictly adhered to set of rules which are rigidly enforced. I'm on an arts forum where this is perfectly straightforward. If that happened here then half the members would drift away just like they do from the 'pure' forums in order to return for the 'nothing to do with falconry' hit on here.
That's human nature and this forum's admin realises that absolutely...which is why this forum remains the largest and doubtless always will be. Precisely the same as the BBC planting Anne Widdecombe in a competition about dancing....emotion and conflict brings in the viewers.
Good post. quality not quantity i say.
Old 23-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Tom Bryce
Haggard

Rene, your right human nature is strange. I was speaking to forum member yesterday who said this place was a cesspit or words to that effect. Hes probably right. But it's funny how we humans can't help but look into the pit, some of us even becoming part of it. Some chose to wear blinkers and don't see what falconry is becoming, shown in all it's form on here. Might just order myself a pair of blinkers or those Rose tinted glasses that adim have.

Tom
Old 23-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Goshawker
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB View Post
Some chose to wear blinkers and don't see what falconry is becoming, shown in all it's form on here.

Tom
thats the one thing that really do's my head in,how many messers there is and most are that thick they dont even know there are messers

Falconry is a serious busisness,too many prats now

Atb..
Old 23-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Tom Bryce
Haggard

Stu, you spot on with the messers point, It's at a whole new level now. So called falconers just going through birds like pesh water, patting each other on the back on here.

Tom