Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Eagles - Aquila

Old 28-11-2016, 05:50 PM
Unconfirmed Member
Egg

Default Caring for a Golden Eagle

Recently, Colleagues of mine rescued what they believed to be a hawk from a local "bazaar". The conditions were horrible and the animal was constantly being teased by young boys. They had no choice other than to haggle and purchase the "hawk". An aviary with fresh water, overhead cover, and plenty of perches was constructed.

Prior to my return from vacation, pictures were sent to me of the new "Hawk". It is no Hawk. It is a juvenile Golden Eagle! I have been back for a mere 4 days and have taken over the care of this amazing creature. I plan on providing care, keeping he(or she) happy and healthy and release the animal out in the mountains this spring.

Initially, my colleagues fed the eagle baby chicks, then live pigeons. I have switched the diet one small live rabbit every other day, and 100-200 grams of beef cut into small pieces on the days in between. Usually split between a morning and "sunset snack".

The Eagle is calm when I'm in the aviary and has no begun squeaking while I feed it the pieces of beef. I would place the beef on one of the perches ( a cut down tree placed in the middle of the aviary with a few branches remaining) and back away, allowing the eagle space to feed. Eventually, I was able to place the meat near the eagle, on the same branch. Today, while placing the meat on the branch, it took out of my hand.

I'm only writing about the temperament to give an idea of its behavior. I haven't noticed any signs of aggression, but I really don't know what those would look like. It pretty much just flips its head near upside down or bobs it when I step into the aviary for cleaning, water etc.

What signs should I watch for while I'm inside? Am I feeding it enough? I will gladly accept any advice. I truly want what is best for the raptor.

Thanks in advance!
Old 28-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Passage

Default Re: Caring for a Golden Eagle

Well done to you and your people for rescuing the Eagle,but the only good advice that anyone could possibly give you is to hand the Eagle over to an experienced Eagle rehabilitator. The Eagle may well be imprinted and unsuitable for release, there is also a real chance that you could get badly injured by this Eagle. Hope it all works out well all the best Chris
Old 28-11-2016, 06:45 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recurve1975 View Post
Recently, Colleagues of mine rescued what they believed to be a hawk from a local "bazaar". The conditions were horrible and the animal was constantly being teased by young boys. They had no choice other than to haggle and purchase the "hawk". An aviary with fresh water, overhead cover, and plenty of perches was constructed.

Prior to my return from vacation, pictures were sent to me of the new "Hawk". It is no Hawk. It is a juvenile Golden Eagle! I have been back for a mere 4 days and have taken over the care of this amazing creature. I plan on providing care, keeping he(or she) happy and healthy and release the animal out in the mountains this spring.

Initially, my colleagues fed the eagle baby chicks, then live pigeons. I have switched the diet one small live rabbit every other day, and 100-200 grams of beef cut into small pieces on the days in between. Usually split between a morning and "sunset snack".

The Eagle is calm when I'm in the aviary and has no begun squeaking while I feed it the pieces of beef. I would place the beef on one of the perches ( a cut down tree placed in the middle of the aviary with a few branches remaining) and back away, allowing the eagle space to feed. Eventually, I was able to place the meat near the eagle, on the same branch. Today, while placing the meat on the branch, it took out of my hand.

I'm only writing about the temperament to give an idea of its behavior. I haven't noticed any signs of aggression, but I really don't know what those would look like. It pretty much just flips its head near upside down or bobs it when I step into the aviary for cleaning, water etc.

What signs should I watch for while I'm inside? Am I feeding it enough? I will gladly accept any advice. I truly want what is best for the raptor.

Thanks in advance!
If its any help, there is a book by Dan True, titled Flying Free the story of a Golden Eagle, he was reluctant to take on the challenge, but was persuaded by a federal game agent to do it, which he did, although imprinted she was released, and went on to breed with a wild bird, its a fascinating account.
Old 28-11-2016, 07:01 PM
Roy - Official Site Sponsor
Passage

Ive got that book, quite a good read.
Old 28-11-2016, 08:10 PM
Haggard

you need to contact a registered master falconer and hand the eagle into their care ,pretty sure its illegal to hold on to it in your state

try looking on the nafex site which is an american falconry forum
http://www.nafex.net/

unless a US falconer steps up on here first

Good luck keep giving it lots of food
Old 28-11-2016, 10:24 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
you need to contact a registered master falconer and hand the eagle into their care ,pretty sure its illegal to hold on to it in your state
I don't think he's in the States, on vacation home maybe but 'working' abroad.
Old 29-11-2016, 06:34 AM
Egg

I must be the only one thinking that this man has bought an eagle for himself and doesn't have a clue how to care for it so has came up with a sob story hoping people will give him advice rather then have a go at him, my advice is gift it to someone with plenty of knowledge about caring for goldies before it dies.
Old 29-11-2016, 07:47 AM
Egg

I will tell you the legal ramifications from having such an animal in your possession without being properly permitted to do so is likely more heat than you want to handle. As has been suggested, it would be very wise, and certainly in the very best interest of the bird, to contact local natural resources personnel and let them get the bird into the hands of those with the know-how to care for the bird.
Old 29-11-2016, 05:09 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenÚ View Post
I don't think he's in the States, on vacation home maybe but 'working' abroad.
Ah right sorry i thought he was in Tennessee