Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > What is your County, Province or State? > Australia

Old 24-02-2008, 02:52 AM
Passage

Default Re: Falconry In Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiercelMan View Post
Sorry Antman, it was legal in Victoria pre 1970 for the simple reason that itwas the last state in Oz that peregrines, brown goshawks and wedgies were unprotected and you could shoot, trap or do what you liked with them by default, As a matter of fact when I left there in 1971, I brought a peregrine legally back to Scotland, even though they were techniquely protected but bacause the export papers were already issued they let it through

Alistair
PS I had some of the best flying I've ever had in and around Melbourne
You should have bought a few across, would be good to see what aussie peregrines are like for hunting here
Old 24-02-2008, 02:55 AM
Passage

Has there ever been any movement to try and get falconry legalised? surely that would be the way to go! pester the government untill they cave in
Old 24-02-2008, 03:26 AM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
Hahahaha. Come on mate- it has it's good points- it's the only place in Australia where the police shoot you dead for threatening self harm with a knife
Any sparrowhawks in your neck of the woods Ant? Jay.
Ahahaha that was a good one mate
Old 24-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Brancher

Quote:
Hahahaha. Come on mate- it has it's good points- it's the only place in Australia where the police shoot you dead for threatening self harm with a knife
Any sparrowhawks in your neck of the woods Ant? Jay.
True, it does have its good points, I'm sure????
Lots of Brown Gos and Collared Spars around my place. I should be getting my 100-400mm lens this week so hopefully I will get some good pics over the next few months and I will post them here.

Ant
Old 24-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Alistair McKissock
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
If it's the same falcon she was given to Phillip Glaisier in the mid-seventies and was paired-up with a scottish tiercel called Claude They were put in the golden eagle aviary overlooking the flying ground at was then the Falconry Centre at Newent in Gloucestershire. Her first clutch was infertile, but the second clutch which she laid in a plastic barrel was fertile. She was left to incubate for the full term and the chicks pipped but failed to hatch. After that fertility was a problem and only one chick was ever hatched and that was so weak it only lived a few days. She can still be seen on the cover of the paper-back version of "As the falcon her bells" and she was always known as 'Sheila'.
Spot on Drake! When I stopped working for my then boss, I gave her to "Bushy" Glaisier who told me he bred from her. She was distinctive 'cos of the ridge down her beak through an injury. Was originally called "Matilda" and is mentioned in Roger Uptons last book killing grouse. She also killed an adult blackcock Very attractive looking peregrine.
Alistair
Old 24-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Thank you Charles- you are a wealth of information! What a shame she didn't leave progeny- I'll blame the tiercel
The falconry Centre in Gloucestershire- the very same folk who refused to sell me any falconry equipment when I was lad- I wonder if any of my heartfelt teenage curses had any effect on them..... Jay.
Jay,

I don't think it was personal, the centre stopped selling equipment around 1973. If it was before that then perhaps it was

Regards,
Charlie Drake (I'm a disgrace to the aboriginal race.....'cos my boomerang want come back!)

Last edited by Drake; 24-02-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 24-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiercelMan View Post
Spot on Drake! When I stopped working for my then boss, I gave her to "Bushy" Glaisier who told me he bred from her. She was distinctive 'cos of the ridge down her beak through an injury. Was originally called "Matilda" and is mentioned in Roger Uptons last book killing grouse. She also killed an adult blackcock Very attractive looking peregrine.
Alistair
Hi Alistair,

How old was Matilda when you gave her to "Bushy"?

Regards,
Drake
Old 24-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Alistair McKissock
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Hi Alistair,

How old was Matilda when you gave her to "Bushy"?

Regards,
Drake
She was in mature plumage when I was given her in Oz, then she was another 3 years with me in Scotland before Phillip got her so must have been 5 or 6 years plus.
Alistair
Old 24-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Passage

Sorry i am slightly confused now. is it illegal to keep birds of prey in Australia or just to hunt with them?
Old 24-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Brancher

I've been offered a great job in australia, but the thought of not flying hawks again is seriously putting me off the place. Apart from that I think Australia is great.